Camera Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera Help

I stopped by Precision Camera in Austin today convinced I was looking for a DSLR and walked out thoroughly confused as the sales person showed me several mirrorless cameras instead. What should I be looking for? Or does anyone have a suggestion as to where to start? I have done quite a bit a reading online and I'm still not sure what will be the best fit.

What do you want to use the camera for? Photos? Video? Both? Sports? Wildlife? Landscapes? Portraits? What's your budget?

Comment

Primarily photo. I have my GoPro for video. I'm intending for some actions shots as well as wildlife. I guess a little bit of everything until I learn some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you're interested in sports and wildlife photography mostly, I'd probably go with a DSLR. More lens choices for sports (longer focal lengths/larger apertures, etc...), bigger body with control buttons for faster access rather than scrolling through digital menus on a screen, etc....

Comment

I would bet the talking up mirrorless becomes a trend in the shops. I know Shane has shot alot of sports and wildlife so he has considerable knowledge there.

Would you mind giving your age and a budget? I use to shoot Olympus DSLRs and got turned off by their switching to mirrorless lines and no longer offering support for the larger bodies and lenses. Also the Olympus equipment was known for it's high level of noise being a 2X crop factor camera. That did not change with their mirrorless line.

I switched to Canon and wish I had sooner. I now own 7DmkII and 6D bodies. Have several Canon lenses as well. Love them but... I bought my wife a Sony A7 not long ago. It is a mirrorless body and being 63 YO now thoughts of going lighter have crossed my mind since using it. That is the reason I asked your age. It is a full frame body also and it can be shot easily at higher ISOs with no noise problems. Sony also offers almost every lens I use with my Canons albeit a bit higher in price than comparable Canon offerings. I know Michael is now using Sony with his Canon lenses but primarily for video I believe.

I think DSLR will eventually go the way of the dinosaur but honestly with Canon and Nikon I don't think it will be soon. If you haven't researched mirrorless much you may want to before buying. There are advantages to both systems. Good luck with your decision.

Comment

Working...
          X