Easter Weekend at the Funny Farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easter Weekend at the Funny Farm

It has been quite a while since I have updated the masses re the goings on at the Funny Farm – I hope to do better in 2017 as I plan on bringing my camera with me on each trip up to our little slice of the state in Leon County.

Approximately two years ago, we had all the original sash windows (late 1800s) replaced with more efficient materials. This undertaking took place around the same time we had the house reskinned and reinsulated; however, we had not go around to finishing out the interior window sills and trim – that was our objected over this past three-day weekend.

We started in the living room which has five rather large windows. In the photo below, which is of two windows facing the front porch, you can see the state of the interior walls – exposed insulation and framing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7421.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	25111377

And here is the after. The sills are new lumber but the capitals and surrounding trim are original to the house. It is going to need a bit of cleaning as the trim has been in the barn for who knows how long, but it sure does have a lot of character.

Name:	IMG_7423.JPG
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	25111378

Speaking of character, we left this door chain on this one piece. All of the capitals had the curtain hardware (which we left on) and about a dozen paneling nails. My elbow and hands are feeling it as the nails did not come out without a fight.

Name:	IMG_7424.JPG
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	25111379

Here is a shot of four of the five living room windows finished out (we still have to stain the sills and clean up the surrounding trim)

Name:	IMG_7425.JPG
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	25111380

Murphy and Maxwell were champs this weekend – they weren’t fans of the air compressor but could, somewhat, tolerate the nail guns, the power saws and drilling. By the end of the weekend, they slept through most anything.

Name:	IMG_7426.JPG
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	25111381

Name:	IMG_7430.JPG
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	25111382

After completing the living room, we moved into the entry hall and did the front door along with two side lights that we added when the outside was getting rehab’ed.

Name:	IMG_7428.JPG
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	25111383

We took a little break on Saturday when Mason and his girlfriend, Makayla, made the trek over from College Station. We had a nice visit over dinner and enjoyed seeing these two love birds interact with one another.

Name:	IMG_7431.JPG
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	25111384

In between chats we tackled one of the bedrooms down stairs – it has two windows facing the front porch and two more facing East.

Name:	IMG_7432.JPG
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	25111385

Then it was on to the kitchen, which I knew was going to present us with a few more challenges. One of which was relocating a light switch that was over the sink? Cutting, chipping and drilling shiplap is always a chore, but after a half hour or so, the switch was in its new location and it was on to more trim work. The before photo below is of the two windows in the kitchen that face west.

Name:	IMG_7435.JPG
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	25111386

Same set of windows after (apologies for the photo being so “dark”)

Name:	IMG_7436.JPG
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	25111387

We have one more downstairs bedroom to go, but said room is full of “stuff” at the moment. So Shannon opted to work on the trim work around the stairs leading up to the second floor. This is turning out really nice and with some paint and/or stain, it will look much nicer. We do have some “creative” cuts coming up though…

Name:	IMG_7434.JPG
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	25111388

We knocked out a ton of work over the past two-and-a-half days and our bodies are feeling it! But, we can’t wait to get back up there in a couple of weeks and chisel a few more things off our to do list. Until next time…

Name:	IMG_7433.JPG
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	25111389

Excellent looking work. That house is gonna be a real show piece.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Comment

Allot of great work completed buddy! Looking great!

Comment

That's a real nice Kho hooch! Y'all indeed did get a lot done!

Comment

For comparison, here's a shot of the living room when we bought the place

Name:	IMG_4308.JPG
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	24493278

Comment

Yall been work-n the elbows for certain! Love the window trim!

Comment

This is good stuff. Looks like a labor of love. Thanks for sharing with us, makes me wish I had something like that to work on. Can you post a picture of the outside of the house?

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                This is good stuff. Looks like a labor of love. Thanks for sharing with us, makes me wish I had something like that to work on. Can you post a picture of the outside of the house?
                Top photo is a before (front porch view) and the bottom is after (back porch view). We replaced the windows, stripped off all the old siding, reinsulated and put up Smart LP. We also screened in the back porch. It ''tis a labor of love.

Name:	IMG_4309.jpg
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	24493295

Comment

Coming along Kevin! I see many years of good times ahead for you, Shannon and family at the Funny Farm.

Comment

Very nice! There's nothing cooler than an old looking house, with modern conveniences!

Comment

Awesome work!! Looks like a beautiful place.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Very nice.

-john

Comment

Y'all have done great things up there Kevin, hard work does pay off!

Comment

Looks great...enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                              X