Ford VS. Chevy diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford VS. Chevy diesel

Guys my dad is getting a new truck soon. He is stuck in between both the 16 Ford and the 16 Chevy, both being diesel. He's worried about the Ford because of the death wobble. He likes the fords look better and thinks it has More power. At same time talked to a diesel mechanic saying that the Chevy are having a lot of problems. So for you guys that own either one. Any input would be helpful on which road he should go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Duramax is NOT having any problems. I have a 2015 Duramax personal truck right now with 40k trouble free miles. The Powerstroke is a beast too. The death wobble was fixed a few years ago. Either truck is solid. We have a several duramax and powerstroke work trucks that are driven hard. The oldest being a 2013 chevy. None have given us any problems. The GM trucks ride and drive better but I'm like your dad and like the Superduty looks better. I just got a better deal on my Chevy is why I went that route.

Comment

I have a 2015 Chevy diesel. 18K miles and already replaced the DEF tank and the air sensors on the tries. I guess the air pressure sensors could happen on any truck. Never had a Ford truck but not real happy with this Chevy.

Comment

Both are great trucks. The GM will ride better due to IFS. My only complaint with GM diesels is the dang DEF tank sits 6" BELOW the frame! You can really get a good deal on a '16 Ford with the new body style out.

Comment

Like me Ford, it's a 14 with 88k and is a solid truck.

Comment

I've pulled really big horse trailers with both and the Ford will definitely out pull the Chevy. In 16 the chevy has a little stiffer suspension than the ford so it handles the weight on the back end better, the ford sometimes needs airbags. Chevy is a really solid truck though. They are coming out with a new body and engine upgrade on the Chevy next year and it's supposed to be a beast.

Comment

Ford all the way, chevy is rougher riding

Comment

I have a 2015 F 250, I love it. Love the power and features in the truck 50K haven't had a single problem.

Comment

I purchased the 2015 f250 and so far really like it. I don't run it hard or use it for work, so I can't comment on that. When I drove the Gm 2500 the ride was much rougher. I felt like the ford had better amenities from the inside to the def container. The ford also gave me quite a bit more off, so it was cheaper. My family, and myself, have always driven chevy and gm. I became the black sheep. thanksgiving we had 5 chevys in the driveway and my ford.

Comment

We have about 50 2015-2016 Ford F-350 Diesel trucks at work and I can tell you first hand I would never buy one of these trucks for personal use. If the radiator is not leaking the truck smokes big time and I can say the gas mileage sucks as well. This is just my 2 cents I would drive both and make up your mind from there good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Coryzilla View Post
                      Ford all the way, chevy is rougher riding

There's no way an IFS truck will ride rougher than a leaf spring solid axle. My 08 f250 was way rougher than my 15 GMC and it's the same front end in the 6.4 and 6.7.

For what it's worth I have a 15 gmc 2500 with 77k miles. My fuel pump went out at 73k and GM replaced the entire fuel system, all warrantied. Other than taking 4 weeks it was rather painless and the mechanic at the dealer (Texan GM in Humble) said he does around 1 or 2 fuel pumps a year on lml motors so not a very widespread issue. I avg 19 mpg running into downtown Houston and back each day if I watch my driving and on highway trips I get 21-21.5. My truck has a 373 rear end.
                      I have pulled a 28' catamaran offshore boat with no problem. Either truck will be a great buy and your dad will be happy it. Good luck.

Comment

Do your dad a favor and look up the independent reports on both. I am not a brand loyal guy. I go with the one that will do what I need it to do. I have the chevy, just because it gets better mileage than the ford. The ford looks better, but the fuel cost is cheaper with a chevy. As far as problems, I have not had one in the 7 years I have be driving them. With that being said, they are all leaning toward fuel economy, so if and when you hook a trailer behind them get ready to be disappointed.

Comment

All the major brands are making good trucks. Just drive them and decide for yourself. Either way is a good way

I went Ram for my own personal reasons

Comment

2017 Duramax is supposed to be over 900 ft lbs of torque. Bad part is, they won't be available till '18, from what I'm hearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
                              There's no way an IFS truck will ride rougher than a leaf spring solid axle. My 08 f250 was way rougher than my 15 GMC and it's the same front end in the 6.4 and 6.7.
                              Fords haven't been leaf sprung in over a decade

Comment

Working...
                              X