Spray foam question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spray foam question

I have a shop that I do not plan on being in more than a year. I am fixing to get it spray foam insulated. Question I had was a friend of mine just had his 40x60 sprayed but he only had the ceiling and about a foot down from each corner down the sidewall instead of the whole building. He was told that's where it does the most good and of course saved some $ not doing the rest.

My question is has anyone done this and what results did you have. I don't mind spraying all of mine but I also don't mind saving 50% plus on the spray if it isn't completely needed.

Any thoughts?

The purpose of any type of insulation is to prevent the transfer of heat . Since the heat can and will transfer through the walls , I would say it`s just half ***ing the job . Just my humble opinion though .

Comment

Maybe the thinking is that heat rises, so in the winter time most of the heat that you're trying to keep is up near the ceiling? Still doesn't seem right to me, though. I don't think there will be enough of a temperature differential between the floor and ceiling to justify not insulating the lower walls.

Comment

Anyone have a rough idea on cost in the Houston area? Looking at possibly getting this done.

Comment

I can see how spraying the ceiling would be better than no insulation at all but not spraying the walls does seem half*** at best. . If his thinking really worked then nobody would have insulation in the walls of their homes, only the roof would have insulation.
          Last edited by Gclyde28; 03-06-2018, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
            I can see how spraying the ceiling would be better than no insulation at all but not spraying the walls does seem half*** at best. . If his thinking really work then nobody would have insulation in the walls of their homes, only the roof would have insulation.
            X2

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
              Anyone have a rough idea on cost in the Houston area? Looking at possibly getting this done.
              $1.50 square foot for open cell and $2.05 for closed cell.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
                X2
                x3

Comment

What he was saying was the return on doing that portion was the best $ spent not that it was better than spraying it all (right or wrong).

Comment

Originally posted by wal1809 View Post
                    $1.50 square foot for open cell and $2.05 for closed cell.
                    Sweet thanks. Any companies you would recommend?

Comment

Yes. They just sprayed under my house. We went with pier and beam with Advantach 1 and 1/8th inch tongue and groove subfloor. It is the shizzle. However when we had that stretch of cold weather in January and February, our heater was running constantly. Walking around the house, our heads were in 73 degree temps while our socked feet were freezing. Spraying the foam ended that BS immediately.

Call Jacob at 979-492-9232 They are out of Bryan, Texas but travel often. I was 1.5 hours south of them and they said traveling is alright as long as they are working.

Comment

On closed cell they will spray about 2 to 3 inches thick. Judging from the 2 by 8 floor joist they sprayed my open cell at least 4 inches thick.

Comment

Are you going to be heating or cooling this shop? When you say you will be in there for a year, do you mean living in it, or just using it as a shop? IMO those answers will help tell a lot as far as advice goes.

Comment

Thanks man I’ll get in contact with them.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I considered spray foaming my 40x60x16 shop, but I was already over budget and had to go with conventional, vinyl covered fiberglass. Foam was $7500, VC fiberglass was $3000

Comment

Working...
                              X