Wood Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood Question

So I want to make a loft storage INSIDE my shop. I want to use a freshly cut oak tree as one of the beams of the loft.

I plan to hang euro mounts on it to add to a rustic look.

Questions about this.

What do I need to do to the wood to make sure it lasts?

I want to leave the bark on it.

Seal the cut sides of the log? Anyone ever used "live" wood as a structure / decor piece?

TIA!

It really needs to dry, before you use it. If air drying, 1 year per inch of thickness, is the rule of thumb.

Inside, though, you really don't need to do anything to it, unless you want a furniture type finish. If you just oil it, with something like Tung Oil, it'd be fine, but the dust will stick to the oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
      It really needs to dry, before you use it. If air drying, 1 year per inch of thickness, is the rule of thumb.

Inside, though, you really don't need to do anything to it, unless you want a furniture type finish. If you just oil it, with something like Tung Oil, it'd be fine, but the dust will stick to the oil.
      1 year per inch, holy crap

Comment

TexasTaxi is spot on of course, he's probably forgot more about woodworking than I'll ever know. That said, I would make sure its not structural. Mount it and anything to it using lag bolts. Even if they are small diameter, they have a lot more bite than screws. It will shrink as it dries, and crack on the ends most likely. Should still work as a mount mount if that's what you're after.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
          TexasTaxi is spot on of course, he's probably forgot more about woodworking than I'll ever know. That said, I would make sure its not structural. Mount it and anything to it using lag bolts. Even if they are small diameter, they have a lot more bite than screws. It will shrink as it dries, and crack on the ends most likely. Should still work as a mount mount if that's what you're after.
          So just a question, why not structural?

Was thinking of using an oak beam about 8 inches across for one of the beams both structural and decorative to hang mounts.

I plan on using lag bolts to secure the floor joists to it and using a fence post type anchor to drill it into the concrete flooring. Bad idea?

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
            So just a question, why not structural?

Was thinking of using an oak beam about 8 inches across for one of the beams both structural and decorative to hang mounts.

I plan on using lag bolts to secure the floor joists to it and using a fence post type anchor to drill it into the concrete flooring. Bad idea?
            If it was my project, structural would require it being dried properly. I'm not waiting 10 years for it, so I would just make it decorative. Your mileage may vary. There's usually a right way, wrong way, and my way

Comment

This is why I don't use oak for furniture, crafts. etc... it splits and cracks as it dries.
              Mesquite is so forgiving and easy to work with it feels like cheating.

Comment

hmmm, so maybe another kind of tree?!? I have mainly oaks but there is a mix of some others.

Comment

Coat each end with melted parafin and it retards the rapid drying that you get thru the cut ends which contributes to cracking/checking. Drying thru the bark sides takes even longer.

Comment

Just my opinion but I would use something like you are saying for the purpose which I understand as a “post/column “. Yes moisture content in wood is important. Oak that is going to be for lumber / furniture, cabinetry does to to be dry as in <10%MC. As already stated air dry is roughly a year per inch depending on your relative humidity. High moisture content in wood makes it move around a bit. Not until the MC reaches equilibrium will it quit moving and changes dimensions in a big way. Wood is organic and primarily cellulose and will alway move with heat/cold/humidity changes.

In your case you are not making lumber per se but a support post. A piece of oak that is appx 8” is going to be stronger than your box store pine beam. Just understand that some movement may or may not happen when using a “green” piece of oak.

I don’t think timber frame craftsman 100,200 years ago waited for their hand hewed oak beams to dry completely before building structures. Some are still standing today.

I am no expert in wood though but think in your case it would work out.

Comment

So I decided to just go the 6x6 beam route to make the storage loft. I was a little concerned about the wood cracking like stated above. I might still add a bean to the front of the 6x6 but just as a decor piece to hang skulls to.

Here is the progress so far.
                      Attached Files

Comment

What size joist are you using. What is the span? Also you floor needs to run opposite of your joist for strength. Add some blocking

Comment

If you were going to use the Oak in the same fashion as the 6x6 post it would have been fine. All the stress is in compression. You could still replace that post with it, just make it where you could shim the post up at it drys and shrinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                            What size joist are you using. What is the span? Also you floor needs to run opposite of your joist for strength. Add some blocking
                            2"X6"X10' are the floor joists.

The loft area is 10'X10'

Ah, good call on the opposite of the joists. I knew I was forgetting something. Thankfully that is the only piece up there. I will change it to run opposite.

Comment

Are you doing the joists on 16 or 24 inch centers?

Is loft area just for storage? How much weight. I am just asking because of safety.

Comment

Working...
                              X