A "What's in My Elk Pack" Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A "What's in My Elk Pack" Video

OK, this one is longer than I'd prefer, but it's targeted at a pretty specific audience that typically likes some detail (I did when I was trying to figure it out ). Anyway, here's a list of gear I hiked around the mountains with (58.6 miles!) on my 2019 Colorado OTC Elk Hunt with Adam and Justin.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj6Spb1nBqQ&t=1062s"]2019 DIY Elk Hunt Gear Load Out - What’s In my Kifaru Cavern Pack? - YouTube[/ame]

We weren't able to locate the elk, so telling an elk hunting "story" is difficult, but I'll be putting together a few videos dealing with gear and planning tips for those that are looking to do a similar hunt next year. Be sure to subscribe to be notified for those if that interests you!
    My Flickr Photos

I have to figure out a way to get lighter, my pack was closer to 60 than 50. Following for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dugie View Post
      I have to figure out a way to get lighter, my pack was closer to 60 than 50. Following for sure.
      I didn't weigh mine, but with bow, water, camera gear, etc. I'm sure I was pushing 60. I was also 10 lbs heavier, physically, than I was last year. It makes a difference!
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

We didnt spike camp this year but I learned quick the less the better. Not only is the weight a factor but moving around quietly is hard to do with a bulky pack. Thanks for posting I plan to spike next year..

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I didn't weigh mine, but with bow, water, camera gear, etc. I'm sure I was pushing 60. I was also 10 lbs heavier, physically, than I was last year. It makes a difference!
          It does make a difference, I lost 20 before I went and I'm sure a few more while I was there...I do know I brought too much food, so there is some savings there and I brought a hammock to use to for a spike camp that I didn't use (we never found the elk either) but everything else was put to use. Weather was also a factor for clothes (esp. with the burn ban) we went from @80 and hot to 20's and snow, with rain and sleet in between.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
            We didnt spike camp this year but I learned quick the less the better. Not only is the weight a factor but moving around quietly is hard to do with a bulky pack. Thanks for posting I plan to spike next year..
            There's definitely a balance between pack weight/mobility and comfort. I could probably shave a few oz by going with an ultralight tent/pad/bag over my hammock/tarp/2x quilt, but I like the versatility and comfort of the hammock/tarp to justify the difference. If anything, I packed too many "snacky" foods (honey stinger waffles, energy chews, trail mix, etc.) both this year and last. If I was going to cut pack weight, I'd start there.
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              For a few weeks not I have been rucking with about 55-60 lbs before work....3 miles. It's been a few years since I've been able to get to the high country and lord knows I'm not the man at 50 I was at 45
              It's going to be a blast

Comment

Good vid. By the way

Comment

got a late season version of this yet?

Comment

Good vid.

Are you going to do one showing the hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                      For a few weeks not I have been rucking with about 55-60 lbs before work....3 miles. It's been a few years since I've been able to get to the high country and lord knows I'm not the man at 50 I was at 45
                      It's going to be a blast
                      When are you going?

I started training much later for this year than I did last, and I felt it. I intend to keep up my training all year to be better prepared for next season...I'll be 50 for that one!

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                      Good vid.

Are you going to do one showing the hunt?
                      I'm not sure. I've been in a little bit of a "writer's block" trying to come up with a story for this one, which is why I decided to start with the pack loadout and a couple of "simple" videos and then see if I can get creative enough to tell a story of not finding elk.

I've never been on a late season hunt, so I can't offer much for gear suggestions other than "pack warmer!" Just thinking it through, I'd probably be more careful with water filtration/purification options. The Sawyer/Life Straw filters can freeze and break the internal filters, which renders them ineffective. Good water is critical.
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I’m a pack junky, I have a hard time finalizing the inventory on a often basis.

When I was there last week the NM rut was winding down and the CO bulls were just starting to bugle (I’m sure you experienced the same). Let me know next time you are up there, I can help with private access.

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
                          Thanks for sharing. I’m a pack junky, I have a hard time finalizing the inventory on a often basis.

When I was there last week the NM rut was winding down and the CO bulls were just starting to bugle (I’m sure you experienced the same). Let me know next time you are up there, I can help with private access.
                          We were there first week of the season. It was hot and quiet. I'll definitely be chatting with you about private access! There were 12 trucks (mostly deer hunters and a few hikers) at the first trailhead we started from.
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                          X