Let’s see your cottonseed setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We just put out some cottonseed out at our place in freer in the snowmen. Just curious how long it took yalls deer to start eating it. I got a few pics of deer eating corn that we threw by the base of the feeders. Just wanted to see yalls setups. I love looking at other people’s stuff to get some ideas. Thanks

I don't have any pics, but initially it took close to a week for them to figure it out. NOW when we fill tubes, it takes about 30 minutes to have the first visitors. We used concrete wire and made tubes approximately 2-3' in diameter. Due to how much comes out the bottom and around the sides (like a sand castle builds) we may cut the tubes in half and use two tubes that are 3' tall instead of one 6'

Comment

That sounds pretty cool, I have a trail cam that sends me pics on my phone and have some deer there now, just gonna take a bit

Comment

Don’t over think it. Start em off with some corn on top and maybe around the edges. If you have any deer density at all they will find it and take to it eventually.

Comment

One of ours. We have two baskets per feed pen to reduce competition for feed at each basket. I think we fed over 40 tons last year.

Deer take to it quickly. If they have never seen it, best to sprinkle some corn on the top of the seed pile and on top of the seed overflow on the ground. That way the deer start consuming it accidentally. They will get hooked in short order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post

One of ours. We have two baskets per feed pen to reduce competition for feed at each basket. I think we fed over 40 tons last year.

Deer take to it quickly. If they have never seen it, best to sprinkle some corn on the top of the seed pile and on top of the seed overflow on the ground. That way the deer start consuming it accidentally. They will get hooked in short order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            That’s exactly what I did, and dang that’s a heck of a buck

Comment

Here is what I use in my two pens...

Water tote frame broken down

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0606.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	24574738

Feeders at my two stands

1500lbs last about 7 weeks

Name:	1500 lbs.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	24574737

1200lbs lasted about 6 weeks at this pen

Name:	1300 Slacker.jpg
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	24574739

Name:	IMG_0687.JPG
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	24574740

Name:	IMG_2199.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	24574741

^^^
              You can see they have moved the tote frame around to get at all the seed in the bottom left pic above. They push it around pretty good when it gets low. Once had them push it completely out of my Covert picture frame.

This pic below was before I took the floor off of the frame (which I highly recommend for giving the deer the ability to move it around) but I posted this to tell you to not worry about getting every single bit in the feeder. I was a little OCD about it while filling but those suckers will pick it clean....even stuff that gets rained on and stomped into the mud. They will dig it out and get every last seed as you can see in this before and after pic.

Name:	IMG_0873.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	24574742
              Last edited by Smart; 03-13-2019, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Son of a gun, that’s awesome, thanks for the response

Comment

I do the baskets and it works well for us. I have two set up in two different pens. I feed about 1000lbs every two months right now as it is really green on our place in Southern Jim Hogg county.

I did see this set up at the Valero store in Benavides the other day and thought it was a pretty bright idea. He put a slide in the center to keep the seed moving down out of the tote and disperse it evenly till empty. Nothing left out of reach. I may build one like it. Looks very simple.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                    I do the baskets and it works well for us. I have two set up in two different pens. I feed about 1000lbs every two months right now as it is really green on our place in Southern Jim Hogg county.

I did see this set up at the Valero store in Benavides the other day and thought it was a pretty bright idea. He put a slide in the center to keep the seed moving down out of the tote and disperse it evenly till empty. Nothing left out of reach. I may build one like it. Looks very simple.

You don’t need that slide in the center. Guys who introduced me to using the totes said it was more of a pita than it was worth. The frame is easily moveable by the deer as you can see in my pics. They eat around it until they need to move it.

Comment

I was worried about the waste in the ground but you guys say they will eat it off the ground?

Comment

Originally posted by sundownbrown View Post
                        I was worried about the waste in the ground but you guys say they will eat it off the ground?

Did you see my picture ? I can’t reiterate it enough how there is no waste if you have hungry deer. That is a legitimate before and after pic.

Comment

Originally posted by sundownbrown View Post
                          once hooked on the feed, they will clean up everything. No need to worry about that.

but even if they didn't, whats the worst that would happen? a few little white fuzzballs in your feeder pen?

Comment

Speaking of white ... any white you see in the last pic I provided of the after are rocks. [emoji41].

Comment

Yes sir I can see the before and after pics, incredible

Comment

Working...
                              X