City gardening raised bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

City gardening raised bed

I ran out of space in my smaller raised beds and decided to take a tree out and put in a bigger bed for tomatoes this year.

Used three 8’ sheets of metal roofing and 7 treated 2x4’s.

Lined it with weedblock and started shoveling. It takes a lot of compost to fill it at 8x3x2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good! You've just motivated me to do the same!

Comment

Looking good!!

Comment

Looks good, although it appears to be in a pretty tight spot between the house and tall fence. Are the plants going to get adequate sunlight? I see a tree that could block sunlight as well....all depending on which direction is which

Comment

You are now ready to plant some tomatoes.

Comment

Glad you posted about these type of beds, been wanting to make some too.
            Do you put anything in the bottom before you fill it with dirt? Or is the whole box full of the planting dirt/soil? What about drainage?

Thanks for any help.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
              Glad you posted about these type of beds, been wanting to make some too.

Do you put anything in the bottom before you fill it with dirt? Or is the whole box full of the planting dirt/soil? What about drainage?

Thanks for any help.

I threw in some brush, leaves, and firewood to take up some space below the soil.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
                I threw in some brush, leaves, and firewood to take up some space below the soil.

I’m digging your work there bud just may have to redo mine

Comment

These are two I did last year. Going to do two more this year if the weather ever gets right.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Great idea!

Comment

Here's the one I did plan on filling it with cinder blocks and then dirt

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice, sir, looks great.

Comment

Just a question, not judging anyone’s work or ideas. Why not make it 12” deep and leave bottom open and let plants grow in soil and roots can extend to the earth if wanted. That way you have the best of both worlds. Less soil to fill bed but still have the ability to add the soil you want. If you fill a 2’ deep planter with cinder blocks then add soil, doesn’t the plant only have access to soil that’s in planter? If the root system makes it to cinder blocks they have to stop?? Why not let them go to soil below?

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                            Just a question, not judging anyone’s work or ideas. Why not make it 12” deep and leave bottom open and let plants grow in soil and roots can extend to the earth if wanted. That way you have the best of both worlds. Less soil to fill bed but still have the ability to add the soil you want. If you fill a 2’ deep planter with cinder blocks then add soil, doesn’t the plant only have access to soil that’s in planter? If the root system makes it to cinder blocks they have to stop?? Why not let them go to soil below?

If you have Bermuda grass it will grow up from the bottom and take over your planter.

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
                              If you have Bermuda grass it will grow up from the bottom and take over your planter.

Ok....till the spot and pull grass out. It’s gonna die anyway with a planter sitting on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X