Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help from Vietnam Veteran and/or history buffs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help from Vietnam Veteran and/or history buffs.

I want to use an artillery shell, or ammo can, from the Vietnam war, for an urn, for my dad's ashes.

The only sizable artillery shell, that I can find, on the interweb, from that era is the 105 mm Howitzer. And it's pretty big. Was there anything used in that war, that's about half that size?

I've found plenty of 105mm "brass", with some even being laser etched, but the only projectile that I could find, to top it was a training round, and it was pretty expensive.

The next idea was an ammo can, from the war. It'd have to be an authentic can, from the war, before I'd consider using that.

Any info or leads as to where I can acquire this stuff is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Wasn't there a 75 mm howitzer?

Comment

I would try a military surplus store and see if there is anything that can be authenticated

Comment

Originally posted by Neck View Post
        Wasn't there a 75 mm howitzer?
        Everything I'm finding says the 75 was used through WWII; nothing about Vietnam.

Comment

Don't know about Houston area, but there is an Army Navy store here in Fort Worth that carries a lot of both. Best bet would be Army Navy stores in your area I'm guessing

Comment

I have an ammo can that is older but don't have a clue about it's age or where it came from or where it's been. I'll text u a pic of it if you want to research it. If it ends up being the right era, I'll send it to ya.

Comment

I have a 75mm shell that you can have, I am not sure if it's Vietnam era. If this will suit your need I will give it to you and I will pay for shipping.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^^^ greatness of TBH

Comment

Originally posted by 10132297 View Post
                  I have a 75mm shell that you can have, I am not sure if it's Vietnam era. If this will suit your need I will give it to you and I will pay for shipping.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
                  OUTSTANDING and looks to be a good size for what the OP is wanting!

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
                    I have an ammo can that is older but don't have a clue about it's age or where it came from or where it's been. I'll text u a pic of it if you want to research it. If it ends up being the right era, I'll send it to ya.
                    Please text me the pictures, and I'll see if I can find any info on it.
                    I'll PM you my number.

Originally posted by 10132297 View Post
                    If I can find a source that says they used the 75mm in Vietnam, that would be PERFECT. Let me do a little more research.

Thanks, guys ... I really appreciate your offers.

Comment

Great offers!

Comment

go to the VFW......they will get you sorted out for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                          go to the VFW......they will get you sorted out for sure.
                          My dad was in the VFW.
                          They screwed up royally and didn't even show up with a flag at dad's funeral.
                          There's some kind of big power struggle, within the organization, in Hallettsville. It's very sad.

I guess I could look up a local post, here in the Katy area.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                            Please text me the pictures, and I'll see if I can find any info on it.
                            I'll PM you my number.

If I can find a source that says they used the 75mm in Vietnam, that would be PERFECT. Let me do a little more research.

Thanks, guys ... I really appreciate your offers.

look at wars used in.

Comment

PM me your phone number and I can text you a pic of a 50 cal ammo can if you still need it. It doesn't have a date on it but I have had them since that time. I have another one at my place in Texas but don't know what it looks like.

Comment

Working...
                              X