Help me pick a caliber please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me pick a caliber please.

I'm looking for a new caliber that shoots flatter than my .223 and packs more of a punch past 300 yards. Will be used for coyotes. I enter coyote calling tournaments quite a bit and although I feel confident in shooting out to 300 with my .223 the chances of killing one stone dead past that goes down quite a bit. I want something with manageable recoil so I can get on a second coyote if need be. Most shots will be fairly close but it's the doubles and triples or more that I'll have to worry about. If I shoot one and another one stops at 500 yards I want to be able to dump it without having to just shoot and hope I hit it. I'd like to take alot of guess work out of it I guess is what I'm saying.

I'm leaning towards a 22-250,.243 or a 25-06. I'm not recoil sensitive so something that doesn't kick bad isn't a must but when more than one comes in and after the first shot is fired I'll need to get on em pretty quick so it would be good if I could find something that doesn't jump too much.

I've thrown around the idea of getting a .270 WSM also. It's a flat shootin caliber and in my opinion doesn't kick bad at all. I think it'd thump a coyote from quite a ways out.

Comment

Man, I'm thinking you're going to have to hold over for any caliber at 500 yards. The 26 Nosler only claims max point blank range of 415, and it's a screamer. That 270 WSM would be flat for sure, but ammo is ridiculously expensive, unless you reload. Are you looking for factory ammo? I think 243 or 25-06 would fit the bill pretty well. Maybe even a 6.5-06 a-square, or 6.5-284, but you're going to have to order the ammo online probably, and it probably won't be cheap.....but I like weird stuff that nobody else has.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

.243! .308 though if your hunting cats in some thicker brush, I do calling contests too and generally never shoot past 150 yards and use a .204.

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
          Man, I'm thinking you're going to have to hold over for any caliber at 500 yards. The 26 Nosler only claims max point blank range of 415, and it's a screamer. That 270 WSM would be flat for sure, but ammo is ridiculously expensive, unless you reload. Are you looking for factory ammo? I think 243 or 25-06 would fit the bill pretty well. Maybe even a 6.5-06 a-square, or 6.5-284, but you're going to have to order the ammo online probably, and it probably won't be cheap.....but I like weird stuff that nobody else has.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
          Factory would be my best option but reloading wouldn't be a problem. I actually looked into the 26 Nosler but I figure I'd burn the barrel out pretty quick from what I've read on it. I expect to have to hold over some and who knows I might never have to shoot that far. But I like to be prepared just in case. One coyote could mean the difference in first and second place. Better safe than sorry. The 6.5x284 would actually be a pretty good option now that I think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post
            .243! .308 though if your hunting cats in some thicker brush, I do calling contests too and generally never shoot past 150 yards and use a .204.
            Yeah generally shots are close. Maybe I'm over thinking it but man I hate it when a coyote hangs up way out there or stops just out of range to have one last look around.

Comment

22.250 hands down. I've killed a ton of coyotes with all kinds of rounds and my 22.250 has always outperformed them all. If he hangs at 200 it's still a no doubter with the 22.250. Drops them like a rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

25-06..... All the way

Comment

First off, I will say that any caliber you have mentioned considering will be far more superior to the 223.
                  Now, I own both a 223 and a 25.06. I've got 2 buddies that I hunt with, one owns a 243 and the other owns a 22-250. When there's money on the line, the 25.06 gets the nod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I too shoot a .223 when varmint hunting. I have been able to make some fairly reaching shots. But since generally in the contest setting you are hunting with your team we just make sure to have a 22-250 in one guys hand, the ar-15 in one guys hand, and generally a shotgun in one guys hand. That way all of our bases are covered. I have been thinking about getting a .308 or 6.5 creedmore for the long range shots though. Mostly because I want to set up a long range gun though.

Comment

I went the 243 route more energy bucks wind and just as flat as the speed demons. Look into the hornady 58gr vmax. Superformance loads seen some chono over 4k. 8 grs heavier than your conventional 22-250 loads and 150-200 fps faster
                      Last edited by DWA; 11-04-2016, 03:37 AM.

Comment

When we call for fun I carry my .220 swift and my buddy carries his 22-250. When we hunted tournaments back in the day he carried a .243 with 75 grain vmax and I carried my 25-06 with 90 grain Sierra gamekings. We wanted to make sure the yotes got in the back of the truck... We never won much money, but man it was alot of fun. Miss those days.

Comment

Comment

I would say 22-250 or 25-06 leaning to 25-06.

Comment

I hunt tournaments with a buddy of mine and my brother who both shoot a .243 and have good results. I've borrowed a .243 several times and really like it is what got me to thinking I need one of my own. With the 58 grain Superformance it ought to shoot every bit as flat as a 22-250 and I could even shoot heavier bullets if I want to which would be good too. My brother shoots 87 grain ballistic tips and 95 grain Softpoints in his.

Comment

Working...
                              X