Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-19-2018, 02:58 PM   #101
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
School boards in general are no different from any other politicians. They are good at spending "our" money. Seguin ISD recently spent $1,000,000 on a football field score board.
And guess what, that money will be made back within 3 years because of advertising on that score board. Its important to know the facts.
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #102
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DW5 View Post
And guess what, that money will be made back within 3 years because of advertising on that score board. Its important to know the facts.
How much do they make per advertisement on the board? Katy ISD said that same thing, and I haven't seen a figure for how much they actually make back per advertisement spot.

No doubt they get paid, but it would be interesting to know the real numbers, not just "We will get paid back".
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #103
3DW5
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
Its a reoccurring theme for districts. Crosby ISD is broke and looking at mid year layoffs. Prior administration officials overspent by million dollars over the last 3 school years and now we are having to dig out of the hole. Its going to be a mess for a while. Teachers have been told they shouldn't use copy paper and are having to email parents to setup classroom donations so that they have enough supplies to make effective lessons for the kids.

FWIW, the playgrounds that are "approved" are much more expensive than you think. Our Kindergarten Center is trying to fund raise for a new playground and its around $75k....and doesn't get you near what you think it should.
Crosby ISD also has the lowest taxes around, a simply bond would fix those issues.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:03 PM   #104
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
Texas is ridiculous with football. Tons of wasted money on sports when it should be invested in things that will help in the workforce. At least the fast food industry will never have an employee shortage.
You are preaching gospel ! Unfortunately, it will mostly fall on deaf ears.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #105
3DW5
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
How much do they make per advertisement on the board? Katy ISD said that same thing, and I haven't seen a figure for how much they actually make back per advertisement spot.

No doubt they get paid, but it would be interesting to know the real numbers, not just "We will get paid back".
Not going to lie and say I know the numbers but I know ours cost more than that and it was paid off in 3 years, and since then everything has been pure profit. However you get people in the community who have no clue and they bad mouth the schools saying why do they need that, well it generates revenue.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:05 PM   #106
breadman
Ten Point

drain the swamp !!!
breadman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #107
96ags
Spike

Hunt In: Far West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbowcoop View Post
Well if we are complaining about school taxes, why do does my wife and I have to pay school taxes when we don't have kids and never will? Heck we should get a tax break for not bringing more people into the world and in turn putting less burden on the resources and environment... .

That's a joke before anybody gets their undies in a bunch.

Greater good. You benefit from having a community with at least marginally educated citizens.

Same as with roads, police, and fire stations. You may not use them, but they are there for the greater good of the community. Basically exactly what government was initially intended to do.
96ags is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 03:12 PM   #108
Dudley
Eight Point

Hunt In: Walker & Uvalde counties

The current state plan for funding education calls for continuing to raise property taxes and lower the amount of money the state contributes to schools. So, expect your taxes to continue to go up!
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #109
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleW View Post
Can't believe some of y'all have never seen Allen's stadium.
Every time I went on a trip, and people asked where I was from and I replied Allen, they all would say the same thing: "Oh! You're from the school that paid $60M for a stadium just for it to crack in one season!!"

It is a nice stadium. Lot of other schools playoff games are played in it.
Oh thatís the stadium, I remember someone telling me about that.
boh347 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 03:21 PM   #110
coachk
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Clay Co

whenever you guys in the big cities get tired of paying for all that extra crap, move on down to my district! Our taxes aren't that high and we'd sure love to have ya come down and build a big house on some land! (especially if you have any high school aged boys that play football!!LMAO)
coachk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #111
KyleW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gordon TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
I live near enough to the stadium to hear the bands, announcers, etc., what other "tons" of sports are being played there? All I hear are Thursday and Friday night games. Usual HS football.
I believe when Allen is playing away games other teams use the stadium, but I could be wrong. They definitely donít bring in the same amount of traffic that Allen home games do
KyleW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #112
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Voters havenít been proven to be too smart. They also voted for bonds to pay for Jerry World and the new Rangerís stadium.

If that ainít stupid I donít know what is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 03:24 PM   #113
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96ags View Post
Greater good. You benefit from having a community with at least marginally educated citizens.

Same as with roads, police, and fire stations. You may not use them, but they are there for the greater good of the community. Basically exactly what government was initially intended to do.
I guess you missed the "it's a joke" part. I know how it works.
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 03:25 PM   #114
3DW5
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
The current state plan for funding education calls for continuing to raise property taxes and lower the amount of money the state contributes to schools. So, expect your taxes to continue to go up!
Thanks a lot Dan Patrick.... first time in my life I will vote against a Republican.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:26 PM   #115
96ags
Spike

Touche. I certainly did.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:44 PM   #116
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria & Re„l county

Quote:
Crosby ISD also has the lowest taxes around, a simply bond would fix those issues.
Based on TEA (Texas Education Agency), Crosby has the 14th highest M&O tax rate in the state and 12th highest total tax rate for ISD's. As far as a bond fixing the issue, to my knowledge bond funds are not allowed to be used for general fund shortfalls in general.
Wall_Hanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 04:41 PM   #117
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thanks a lot Dan Patrick.... first time in my life I will vote against a Republican.

Surely you donít plan to vote for the democrat.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:54 PM   #118
Bear82
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vernon where there is no deer

Just think of all the tax dollars these new companies coming in are paying. Your taxes would really be high if they weren't paying their fair share.
Bear82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 05:31 PM   #119
JonBoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX; Doss, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbad243 View Post
Where do you want them to put the kids?
Schools of course but the point of my statement wasn't about building or not building schools it was to point out that just because a bond passes doesn't necessarily mean that the residents were "ok" with it.
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 07:33 PM   #120
brandonsbird02
Six Point

Hunt In: Henderson county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
Texas is ridiculous with football. Tons of wasted money on sports when it should be invested in things that will help in the workforce. At least the fast food industry will never have an employee shortage.
Check out Allen's schools ratings. Some of the best in the country. Also u should see the high school. They have a full functioning restaurant that is fully ran by the students. They have a news station that the equipment is the same as the the big news stations. There theater is better than most cities. They are opening a STEM center in a few yrs which will be next to a new location of the community college that offers numerous duel credit courses that a ton of students are in. Also located within the stadium is a state of the art gym, the wrestling area along with an indoor hitting area for the golf team.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
brandonsbird02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #121
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonsbird02 View Post
Check out Allen's schools ratings. Some of the best in the country. Also u should see the high school. They have a full functioning restaurant that is fully ran by the students. They have a news station that the equipment is the same as the the big news stations. There theater is better than most cities. They are opening a STEM center in a few yrs which will be next to a new location of the community college that offers numerous duel credit courses that a ton of students are in. Also located within the stadium is a state of the art gym, the wrestling area along with an indoor hitting area for the golf team.

I get all that. My question is why does Allen only have one high school? Other large ISD's in the State (like Katy, mentioned in this thread) have half a dozen or more high schools.

Seems Allen should be good at just about everything being like 3X's the size of an average 6A high school.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #122
brandonsbird02
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDave View Post
I get all that. My question is why does Allen only have one high school? Other large ISD's in the State (like Katy, mentioned in this thread) have half a dozen or more high schools.

Seems Allen should be good at just about everything being like 3X's the size of an average 6A high school.
I dont know but it seems to work just fine. Also with the high school it's only 10-12 that is there. They have a separate freshman center that they actually just rebuilt. Also I dont think the population would justify more than one. Maybe 2 but then they would both be small.

Last edited by brandonsbird02; 09-19-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:43 PM   #123
MetalMan2004
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp04c View Post
Football is the ONLY thing in the school that is profitable.. Think of the losses they take on all the other school sports (traveling, uniforms etc).... It's a non for profit until they stack 20k people in at $10 (+) bucks a pop on a Friday night. Nothing else in school districts do pay the bills like a football team.

Of course, i'm not actually sure how funds, tax dollars etc are allocated, but the above makes sense in my head haha.
10 games a years x 20,000 tickets x $10= $2 million / year.

That means that $60 million stadium doesn’t break even for 30 years on football revenue. 15 years if they have a Friday and Saturday game.
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 08:49 PM   #124
kruppa24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho

Wow! Unbelievable
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 08:59 PM   #125
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:

Some might ask...Imagine how much they could lower taxes and improve the education across the board if they did away with half of that ancillary nonsense....and concentrated on education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 09:03 PM   #126
brandonsbird02
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
10 games a years x 20,000 tickets x $10= $2 million / year.

That means that $60 million stadium doesnít break even for 30 years on football revenue. 15 years if they have a Friday and Saturday game.
It's not only allen that plays in that stadium. They host alot of other games as well. They also host other events there as well.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:04 PM   #127
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Some might ask...Imagine how much they could lower taxes and improve the education across the board if they did away with half of that ancillary nonsense....and concentrated on education.

Just imagine if vocational classes were put back in school and some could learn a little about real world application of using your hands and brains.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 09:04 PM   #128
brandonsbird02
Six Point

Quote:

They do ask and I'm not sure for how many yrs now but Allen continues to lower taxes.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #129
brandonsbird02
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Just imagine if vocational classes were put back in school and some could learn a little about real world application of using your hands and brains.
I had heard some of those classes are being put back in.

The only reason i know alittle bit bout things is I work for the city. It's a great city to not only work but would be to live in as well. When my wife gets out of school we are looking to move to Allen just for the school system.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:13 PM   #130
MetalMan2004
Six Point

Quote:

And more sensible folks might realize that running a restaurant is the best foodservice and retail education you can get, and that hands-on journalism training using real equipment is the best journalism education you can get, and a set up offering dual college credit is the best education you can get and gets those educated kids into the workforce quicker and more prepared.

Or you could go with the cookie cutter schools that turned out tons of millenial kids that can (mostly) to plain old math and english and canít seem to get a job and move out of their parentsí basements. They sure know a lot about football though...
Old 09-19-2018, 09:15 PM   #131
MetalMan2004
Six Point

Quote:
It's not only allen that plays in that stadium. They host alot of other games as well. They also host other events there as well.

I didnít say that wasnít the case, I was simply responding to the quote ďFootball is the ONLY thing in the school that is profitable.. Ē
Old 09-19-2018, 09:15 PM   #132
DarrellS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Limestone and Mills Counties

We didn't even have AC in school and my generation is a helluva lot smart than kids today.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
DarrellS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 09:21 PM   #133
bigbad243
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fredericksburg and Hye Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
Schools of course but the point of my statement wasn't about building or not building schools it was to point out that just because a bond passes doesn't necessarily mean that the residents were "ok" with it.
I get it, but you are also inferring that the district should just stop going for it, thus no room for all the new students coming in to said district.

Last edited by bigbad243; 09-19-2018 at 09:34 PM.
bigbad243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 09:27 PM   #134
bklem
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
You do understand that ONLY the voters can decide to build that stadium, right?
^^^ THIS. Honestly amazed at the lack of info/knowledge in this thread.
bklem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 09:36 PM   #135
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

Quote:
And more sensible folks might realize that running a restaurant is the best foodservice and retail education you can get, and that hands-on journalism training using real equipment is the best journalism education you can get, and a set up offering dual college credit is the best education you can get and gets those educated kids into the workforce quicker and more prepared.

Or you could go with the cookie cutter schools that turned out tons of millenial kids that can (mostly) to plain old math and english and canít seem to get a job and move out of their parentsí basements. They sure know a lot about football though...

Good slaves though.

J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 09:52 PM   #136
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Quote:
You do understand that ONLY the voters can decide to build that stadium, right?

Curt is absolutely right! If the school boards would build the necessities they wouldnít be constantly tryin to pass $100mil bonds every 5 years. I vote against every time because I know what they really want to do with the money. Also, why are we paying coaches $120k a year as well as admin? Thatís my money and I know 90% of them arenít worth that much! One of the ****tiest assistant high school baseball coaches is now a principal? He should be flipping burgers!
CoolHandLuke is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 11:07 PM   #137
Grndchecker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

The voters in Baytown, GCCISD, just voted against two bond proposals that totaled $413 million. The proposals were thrown together in a short amount of time by a selected committee and put on a special ballot last May at a very high cost to taxpayers.
Prop B was for a $60 million building to hold graduations in, but they would rent it out for dance/cheer competitions.
Prop A did have 2 elementary and one Jr High school proposed, but didn't include buying land. The remaining $350+ million was for items such as i-Pads for every student K-12 (that only last 4-5 years), $30 million field house for coaches to watch film, but mostly M and O items that should have already been paid for, but the money already in that budget is being used to pay interest on the bond from 2013.
Citizens are asking for a forensic audit to find out where all the money is going. The district doesn't get any state money because the district says they can tax the citizens to get more money.
The district couldn't tell us how much our taxes would go up, they would tell us after it was passed???
Grndchecker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 11:27 PM   #138
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:

That is happening now, at Allen, and at Keller, that I know of. And it's a great idea.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:32 PM   #139
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:

I agree. I was just playing devils advocate, in that situation.

My home town of Keller has put in a really nice "vocation center" for lack of a better term. And I think it's a great idea.

Keller has never had a great football program either...at least not since I've been alive.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:42 PM   #140
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Usually from a tree

Quote:
Quote:
That is happening now, at Allen, and at Keller, that I know of. And it's a great idea.

We're sponsoring a program right now with our local school district with curriculum and hands on experience in civil construction. It includes reading plans, equipment operation, surveying and layout, safety, estimating, material purchasing and project management. It's in its infancy, but we have great hopes that it'll teach some valuable trades to the young men that want to go straight into the workforce.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 11:50 PM   #141
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dry Creek Ranch-Real County

Quote:
We're sponsoring a program right now with our local school district with curriculum and hands on experience in civil construction. It includes reading plans, equipment operation, surveying and layout, safety, estimating, material purchasing and project management. It's in its infancy, but we have great hopes that it'll teach some valuable trades to the young men that want to go straight into the workforce.
Have you looked into partnering with Mike Rowe Works?
1369 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 11:54 PM   #142
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:

It doesn't surprise me at all that you are in on something like that. I'm a member of a council of folks in my business, and we collectively are supporting similar programs.

I know you already know this, but we are in the middle of a labor crisis right now. There are too many kids getting college degrees that just don't pay off. They don't want to really work, And we just don't have enough "legal" guys who will do the actual work.

I don't know the real solution to the problem, but I do know that it's going to cost EVERYONE more money pretty soon. And if the wall builders get their way...I'm gonna pass the losses on to them....and they are NOT going to like it.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:51 AM   #143
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
It doesn't surprise me at all that you are in on something like that. I'm a member of a council of folks in my business, and we collectively are supporting similar programs.

I know you already know this, but we are in the middle of a labor crisis right now. There are too many kids getting college degrees that just don't pay off. They don't want to really work, And we just don't have enough "legal" guys who will do the actual work.

I don't know the real solution to the problem, but I do know that it's going to cost EVERYONE more money pretty soon. And if the wall builders get their way...I'm gonna pass the losses on to them....and they are NOT going to like it.

If congress would get their heads out of their asses, a foreign worker permit program could help improve a lot of things including the "legal" worker shortage situation. Additionally, no welfare to able bodied people would help the same situation.

There are plausible solutions out there, we just have the most none functioning set of legislators ever!!
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 07:31 AM   #144
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDave View Post

Allen used to be larger in physical size. Quite a bit of the land was annexed to Plano and Frisco. By doing this, the population per square mile stayed low enough to keep from having to build another HS. It keeps the super team intact.
Quote:

Everyone keeps saying this. I live close enough to hear the PA system, bands and such. From my house, I have to drive by the stadium to get to just about everywhere. I never hear any of these other events. Every once in a while there will be a track meet or soccer game. I've never noticed any other teams playing when the Eagles are at away games either.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 07:56 AM   #145
FVR JR
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

Fact is, no one at the board level cares about education beyond getting butts in seats for the tax dollars. A big set of society couldn't care less either about education. When a functional illiterate that happens to be able to throw a ball comes along, people swoon over them. Heck look at all the football threads. Does anyone care that a lot of those kids are "earning" a useless degree? Nope, but they can sure run fast. Gotta keep building big stadiums to show how awesome we are. Meanwhile everything else is falling apart, no one learns a trade, teachers suffer, and the tax payers keep getting screwed.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 08:08 AM   #146
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties

If these stadiums bring in so much money. Why don't they just get a loan to build them? No need to have a bond election. Bond elections are for projects that won't ever pay for themselves.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 08:20 AM   #147
Charles
Pope & Young

Quote:
That's awesome and good on you for sponsoring.

If it isn't part of the curriculum now add the importance of "doing what you say you're going to do when you say you're going to do it". Seems like none of the trades understand the importance of completion dates anymore.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #148
96ags
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
If these stadiums bring in so much money. Why don't they just get a loan to build them? No need to have a bond election. Bond elections are for projects that won't ever pay for themselves.
A bond issue is the exact definition of a loan.

The bond buyer agrees to loan the school district money for a set period of time with the promise of the funds being paid back at a set interest rate.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #149
3DW5
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Surely you donít plan to vote for the democrat.

I would vote for a anyone with a beating heart before Dan Patrick, he is a complete jerk who hates public education...
Old 09-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #150
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
I would vote for a anyone with a beating heart before Dan Patrick, he is a complete jerk who hates public education...

If you think a democrat will do any better you are delusional.