Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #51
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
They've literally held College games there. Many other cities come in to play their games there. There is literally no other facility that can accommodate their band and practices.

And it's not just a field. They have a whole facility there for the various teams.
What college games? This is the first I've heard about it. I'm sure there is the usual track and field events, but they aren't loud enough to hear. The only time I seen other teams play there are when the playoff's begin.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #52
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
They make money when that happens. Hosting UIL playoff games, college games, 7on7 tournaments, Soccer playoff games, band competitions. Districts with big stadiums have a people that seek out and book these events because they make the district money.
I drive right beside the thing twice a day 6 days a week. I don't see any of this happening.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:21 AM   #53
bigbad243
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fredericksburg and Hye Texas

Most of you guys are way off base. Most PTA associations do one fundraiser a year as part of PTA. This has nothing to do with the district and it is school by school, not district. This is where parents and teachers come together to purchase mutually agreed upon items that will help that particular school, again not district. They typically solicit the donations, rather than having the kids have to sell candy bars and crap like that. It is actually a better way to do it. The district can't because of stupid Robin Hood laws.....
bigbad243 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 10:21 AM   #54
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
They dont get to use the facility for free
I understand that, but school taxes never go down. I guess they consider the revenue from other functions as a way to offset operating expenses?
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #55
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Yes sir, them boys gotta play football in huge stadium My school taxes are huge, and I have heard that there is not enough computers for a full class of students.
When my son was in middle school in Allen, one year toilet paper was on the school supply list!
Old 09-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #56
TexasArchery_27
Six Point

Hunt In: Red River & Collin County

Allen Eagle alumni 2009- I guess between the two it's at least a plus that the donations are voluntary, whereas the high taxes are voluntold-ary.
TexasArchery_27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #57
Radar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbad243 View Post
Most of you guys are way off base. Most PTA associations do one fundraiser a year as part of PTA. This has nothing to do with the district and it is school by school, not district. This is where parents and teachers come together to purchase mutually agreed upon items that will help that particular school, again not district. They typically solicit the donations, rather than having the kids have to sell candy bars and crap like that. It is actually a better way to do it. The district can't because of stupid Robin Hood laws.....
Man they would have to sell a chit ton of candy bars to pay for that Allen stadium. Everyone in the county would have sugar diabetes.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #58
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

Id be more curious to hear how much revenue it draws. Have those numbers ever been released? Appears to be pretty **** packed in those photos. How many games do they host? I assume not just varsity or football? How many other cities do they host? Concessions, parking? The city had no control over the cracking and I suspect it is probably still in litigation? Someone will pay for the repairs be it the GC or the architect/ Structural engineer or both. Oh yeah as people mentioned the city voted on it and I suspect local business thrives on game days.
Unfortunately playgrounds do not create revenue. I know that is a crappy thing to say but unfortunately its reality. I would hope they are pushing more to local business for donations.
myway is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #59
tmstuk
Eight Point

Hunt In: Milam County

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
These school admins just like most govt admin types are huge empire builders. Little kids cant even have a playground because they want to say they have a bigger football stadium. We need a re emergence of the guillotine to fix these people.
Yup. Down here in Katy we just send the Superintendents on their way with $750,000.00!
tmstuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #60
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
The 4 requests I got this week had nothing to do with PTA. I get their stuff too.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #61
tmstuk
Eight Point

Hunt In: Milam County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
When my son was in middle school in Allen, one year toilet paper was on the school supply list!
Haha! Canít ever have too many hockey tickets!
tmstuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #62
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I hope they do better with the playground concrete than they did with the stadium...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #63
bigbad243
Ten Point

Quote:
The 4 requests I got this week had nothing to do with PTA. I get their stuff too.
Well post up what it is for, because there are laws in place about fundraising. School isn't the one doing it, so who is it?
Old 09-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #64
dhillis
Ten Point

Hunt In: Aransas Pass, San Marcos

I understand the frustration about football having huge stadiums to play football in, but unless you live in that community, you shouldn't complain. Also, big ticket items such as new schools and football stadiums are not part of a regular school budget. Those things are paid for with bonds. The people in the community vote on bonds which specifically list where and how the money for the bond will be spent. So, the majority of the people that live in these communities are ok with the large stadiums. If they weren't, the bond would have never passed to build it.
dhillis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #65
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well post up what it is for, because there are laws in place about fundraising. School isn't the one doing it, so who is it?
The playground was from The Friends of Anderson Elementary. Not related to PTA. The other 3 were for even more school supplies for classroom projects that I feel should be supplied by the district. Also not PTA related.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #66
bigbad243
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillis View Post
I understand the frustration about football having huge stadiums to play football in, but unless you live in that community, you shouldn't complain. Also, big ticket items such as new schools and football stadiums are not part of a regular school budget. Those things are paid for with bonds. The people in the community vote on bonds which specifically list where and how the money for the bond will be spent. So, the majority of the people that live in these communities are ok with the large stadiums. If they weren't, the bond would have never passed to build it.
Exactly. This $75 thing is apples and oranges to the stadium or any other large capital improvements to/for a DISTRICT.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #67
tmurray
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
True, but the CyFair facility serves twelve 6A high schools. CyFair is the third largest district in the state behind only Houston ISD and Dallas ISD.
It's also a church on Sunday's.
tmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #68
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Exactly. This $75 thing is apples and oranges to the stadium or any other large capital improvements to/for a DISTRICT.
Yeah, the stadium is a whole different issue. It was bond money.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #69
bigbad243
Ten Point

Quote:
The playground was from The Friends of Anderson Elementary. Not related to PTA. The other 3 were for even more school supplies for classroom projects that I feel should be supplied by the district. Also not PTA related.
I literally just did a 3 second google search, it is the PTA, they just call this once a year fundraising event "Friends of Anderson":

FRIENDS OF ANDERSON 2018 Edition
Friends of Anderson 2018 Edition is our fall fundraising drive designed to help meet our fundraising goal
for the 2018‐2019 school year and also defray the cost of the many activities and programs sponsored
and run by the Anderson PTA. There is no selling, delivery, or collecting money.
Itís as easy as writing a
check and you are done! This year our fundraising goal is to raise $17,000 for playground improvements
(update our blacktop with games/activities, similar to Story Elementary, and add soccer goals). This
fundraising goal is on top of our operating budget for the year. Our recommended donation amount per
family is $50. In the spring we will be hosting a silent auction to help us raise the remaining funds needed
to reach our fundraising goals and annual budget.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #70
bigbad243
Ten Point

And the supplies you are talking about are on a teacher/classroom basis. They don't have to do those things as part of curiculum, it is designed to help your granddaughter have more fun learning.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #71
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
It went to the football stadium
Nah, that's Katy ISD. At least the kids can play on a playground. A football stadium only the elite few get to use.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #72
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

I would venture to say Curt knows more about schools and stadiums than just about anyone one the GS.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #73
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
And the supplies you are talking about are on a teacher/classroom basis. They don't have to do those things as part of curiculum, it is designed to help your granddaughter have more fun learning.
This is more of a frustration rant. I feel like the building and property belong to Allen ISD. If repairs or upgrades are needed, the district needs to foot the bill with the tax dollars the citizens are paying. The classroom stuff is not as big a deal. It just gets frustrating when every e-mail you open is asking for more $ in some form or fashion.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #74
arrowsmack324
Ten Point

Hunt In: 100% Public

We have another football stadium going up a few miles down Cypresswood from Spring High School. Really getting tired of how they wipe their behind with our tax dollars.
arrowsmack324 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #75
No-Tox
Four Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

You know all these large stadiums are done via a bond that is voted on by the citizens. So, who is really at fault for the higher taxes?
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #76
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Usually from a tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
We have another football stadium going up a few miles down Cypresswood from Spring High School. Really getting tired of how they wipe their behind with our tax dollars.
You do understand that ONLY the voters can decide to build that stadium, right?
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #77
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Generally you are right. However, What Katy ISD did was tie the football stadium to things most people agree with, like adding schools to reduce overcrowding, increasing the number of teachers, etc...

The residents of Katy year after year voted down the football stadium when it was a bond all by itself, meanwhile approving bonds to improve and add new schools. So the board got the bright idea to lump the stadium in with the other needed improvements in one bond, and then say nope, can't have one without the other.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #78
curtintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I would venture to say Curt knows more about schools and stadiums than just about anyone one the GS.
I don't know about that, but it sure is obvious that most people on this thread don't know a dang thing about how a school bond program works.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #79
curtintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Generally you are right. However, What Katy ISD did was tie the football stadium to things most people agree with, like adding schools to reduce overcrowding, increasing the number of teachers, etc...

The residents of Katy year after year voted down the football stadium when it was a bond all by itself, meanwhile approving bonds to improve and add new schools. So the board got the bright idea to lump the stadium in with the other needed improvements in one bond, and then say nope, can't have one without the other.
Katy has nine 6A high schools. Where are they supposed to play ball? If you take the cost and divide it by the number of schools that will use it, I bet it's not out of line with any other small town stadium as a percentage.

That's a lot different than a district like Allen with one HS.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #80
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

Isnt a bond just a tax imposed on the other 49 percent by the 51 percent?
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #81
arrowsmack324
Ten Point

Hunt In: 100% Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
Isnt a bond just a tax imposed on the other 49 percent by the 51 percent?
arrowsmack324 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #82
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

Well if we are complaining about school taxes, why do does my wife and I have to pay school taxes when we don't have kids and never will? Heck we should get a tax break for not bringing more people into the world and in turn putting less burden on the resources and environment... .

That's a joke before anybody gets their undies in a bunch.
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #83
bullhead44
Ten Point

Quote:

someone with a clue!!
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #84
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
They make money when that happens.
lol
Generating some revenue and making money are two different things.

If I pay $60M for something and rent it out for $10k (if that) a few times a year, I'm not making money.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #85
curtintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
lol
Generating some revenue and making money are two different things.

If I pay $60M for something and rent it out for $10k (if that) a few times a year, I'm not making money.
True. I should have said they bring in revenue from outside sources that otherwise wouldn't be there.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:23 AM   #86
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

For the record, I was all for a new stadium. But when I saw what was planned, I voted no. That thing is a little overboard to me.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:23 AM   #87
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Katy has nine 6A high schools. Where are they supposed to play ball? If you take the cost and divide it by the number of schools that will use it, I bet it's not out of line with any other small town stadium as a percentage.

That's a lot different than a district like Allen with one HS.
They could have built 9 stadiums with steel bleachers in a rice field somewhere for 1/4 the cost. But no, they had to have the biggest. That's the gripe. I get it, it's Texas football, and it's important. And I respect residents ability to vote for what they want, and my side lost. I am okay with that, but you got to admit it was a chicken **** way to get the stadium passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbowcoop View Post
Well if we are complaining about school taxes, why do does my wife and I have to pay school taxes when we don't have kids and never will? Heck we should get a tax break for not bringing more people into the world and in turn putting less burden on the resources and environment... .

Agreed lol
Old 09-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #88
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbowcoop View Post

Same with old folks. We've done our time.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:29 AM   #89
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
It went to the football stadium
x2!

What yall get lol
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #90
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Quote:
They could have built 9 stadiums with steel bleachers in a rice field somewhere for 1/4 the cost. But no, they had to have the biggest. That's the gripe. I get it, it's Texas football, and it's important. And I respect residents ability to vote for what they want, and my side lost. I am okay with that, but you got to admit it was a chicken **** way to get the stadium passed.

Agreed lol
Yep, that's how a lot of this ends up passing. Some of these districts also hold the bond vote outside of the normal election cycle. I've even see them hold the vote during the week of "open house" and literally have voting booths setup at the schools for parents to vote when they walk in. They literally can hit their target audience that way snagging parents with children in the schools. Your average Joe citizen that doesn't read the local paper on a daily basis misses the vote half the time.

I remember the Katy voters initially voting down the new stadium. It wasn't until it was packaged with other things actually needed that voters decided to move in that direction.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #91
curtintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
They could have built 9 stadiums with steel bleachers in a rice field somewhere for 1/4 the cost. But no, they had to have the biggest.
Wait....I think the Katy Stadium budget was $75MM-$90MM. So you're telling me that you could find nine 10ac sites near each respective high school, provide engineering and design, put in access roads, underground utilities, detention for drainage, metal bleachers to accommodate the fan base, concession stands, plumbing for restrooms, sub-field drainage, turf or grass fields, goal posts, locker rooms, lights, scoreboards, parking lots, and do it all for less than $10MM? Don't forget the maintenance on 9 facilities and the need to add a stadium when you add HS #10. I think that is very highly unlikely and logistically no feasible.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #92
Charles
Pope & Young

Stop your complaining...it's for the children
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #93
Radar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Tox View Post
You know all these large stadiums are done via a bond that is voted on by the citizens. So, who is really at fault for the higher taxes?
Floresville ISD just had a vote on another bond a few months ago, only 1500 people voted and it was turned down. I voted no, my property taxes would have went up almost 500.00. The problem is most folks dont even know about a bond till its too late, if your child is out of school and you do not get the local paper, you will not know about it. Plus Floresville ISD does not do a good job of disclosing the voting places.

I am well aware of how all the bonds work. I even bought into quite a few of them when they were paying 4-5% interest. Unfortunately the monies are so mismanaged that every two years seems like another school bond is being voted on.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #94
bigbad243
Ten Point

Quote:
This is more of a frustration rant. I feel like the building and property belong to Allen ISD. If repairs or upgrades are needed, the district needs to foot the bill with the tax dollars the citizens are paying. The classroom stuff is not as big a deal. It just gets frustrating when every e-mail you open is asking for more $ in some form or fashion.
I get it, but it is misguided. By your own admission you said it wasn't the PTA asking for the money, but it is/was. There shouldn't be anything to be frustrated about, it is a donation, you don't have to do it.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #95
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
I get it, but it is misguided. By your own admission you said it wasn't the PTA asking for the money, but it is/was. There shouldn't be anything to be frustrated about, it is a donation, you don't have to do it.
The actual e-mail I got had no reference to PTA. It only said Friends of Anderson. I didn't know.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #96
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Wait....I think the Katy Stadium budget was $75MM-$90MM. So you're telling me that you could find nine 10ac sites near each respective high school, provide engineering and design, put in access roads, underground utilities, detention for drainage, metal bleachers to accommodate the fan base, concession stands, plumbing for restrooms, sub-field drainage, turf or grass fields, goal posts, locker rooms, lights, scoreboards, parking lots, and do it all for less than $10MM? Don't forget the maintenance on 9 facilities and the need to add a stadium when you add HS #10. I think that is very highly unlikely and logistically no feasible.
Before you even get that far. If I have zero dollars, and I want a new truck, guess what? I don't get to buy the truck. But lets look past that part of this, because my finance philosophy is not the majority of society.

So if I agree that all those things are requirements, then I agree, you have a point.

That being said, not all those things are necessary. No doubt, there are costs associated with land acquisition (To the extent its necessary), excavation, and site prep, along with things like lighting and other misc. materials. Won't argue there.

Beyond that, things can be done to reduce expense, like getting the basics first, then adding over time, as money becomes available. Growing up, if we wanted something at our football/baseball fields, we had a high school class, such as woods, or metals, or marketing make it happen. Marketing ran concessions, woods built the structure for concessions, metals assembled the bleachers, Woods and metals poured the concrete. But my understanding is most schools did away with classes like that a long time ago. We got artificial grass the last year I was in high school. We set up a bond for it, the football players fund-raised for it, and went door to door asking residents to vote yes for the field, and we got the money we needed to build it, by itself, with a bond. Never once have I seen a Katy football player come to my house asking me to vote yes for that stadium, or even a thank you from the superintendent who pushed for it.

If anyone takes an objective view at this, they would see the ridiculousness of a $75 to 90MM stadium for high schoolers who have less than .1% chance of going beyond HS with football scholarships.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:05 PM   #97
67olds442
Six Point

Hunt In: Sweetwater

When I lived near Azle they had a bond election and it got approved. It was funny to see on nextdoor the next year everybody complaining about how their taxes increased. Most folks didn't even realize that would happen.
67olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 01:32 PM   #98
JonBoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX; Doss, TX

Quote:
Not necessarily. I grew up in Converse and went to Judson HS...when JISD floats a bond that fails they just keep putting it up for vote until people get too tired (or lazy) of voting it down. Currently JISD is working on its 4th bond proposal for building the same HS that keeps being voted down. Same thing happened when they built the current Judson HS & Judson stadium...only after the bond was passed the person who received the contract was later found (after massive schedule & budget overruns) to have been related to one of the board members. Source

Last edited by JonBoy; 09-19-2018 at 01:42 PM.
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 01:55 PM   #99
dhillis
Ten Point

Hunt In: Aransas Pass, San Marcos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
Not necessarily. I grew up in Converse and went to Judson HS...when JISD floats a bond that fails they just keep putting it up for vote until people get too tired (or lazy) of voting it down. Currently JISD is working on its 4th bond proposal for building the same HS that keeps being voted down. Same thing happened when they built the current Judson HS & Judson stadium...only after the bond was passed the person who received the contract was later found (after massive schedule & budget overruns) to have been related to one of the board members. Source
well they could just keep voting no?? Isn't that an option?
dhillis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 01:56 PM   #100
bigbad243
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
Where do you want them to put the kids?