Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flywise View Post
    What is the best way to cook'em?
    I tried up a cottontail once and it became rubber.....I guess I cooked it to long
    They are awesome fried just like chicken, another way is to stuff cavity with onion, butter, salt and pepper, wrap in foil and cook on grill for maybe 30 min, take out of foil, mix the melted butter and juices with your favorite bbq sauce and slather over the rabbit, put back on grill to brown, delish !

Comment

Originally posted by MBV77 View Post
      I can’t get down that low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Lmao! Your gonna have to keep the rabbits and bar stools locked up

Comment

I probably tried when I was younger but wasn’t fast enough...

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          I probably tried when I was younger but wasn’t fast enough...

🤣[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't like hare at all

Comment

I too am interested in the bunnies... I currently have some quail. They would probably do fine in the garage in some wire cages, if you wanted to avoid detection. They are super easy to raise. I have Texas A&M's. The hens make no noise. The roosters crow sounds like a cross between a bobcat and a UFO alien. He gets butchered the first time he crows

Comment

Lapin' is legit. Sure wish I could find a source around Houston for fresh ones. Can only find frozen and everytime I have tried I question how long they had been frozen. Sauce piquante or fricassee are my favorite.

Comment

I have Californians and they are delicious. Better than chicken. I’m new at it and I tried breeding in June and they missed. Now I know why. Will try again when it cools off.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                    A trick about raising rabbits. Sometimes a doe will eat her babies as she has them. My Dad would put some raw bacon in the cage a day or two before the doe had the litter. Doe would eat the bacon and then not eat the babies. Not all does will eat the babies but the ones that do, the bacon trick helps save the litter. If she does eat the babies don't worry. She will have another litter in 28 days. Keep bucks away from the litter or they will kill them to make the momma come in heat again.
                    I used hotdogs

Comment

I just reviewed the A&M Kingsville farm. They sell a lot of rabbits.

They told me they breed for heat tolerance and productivity. Does must produce at least 3 babies every litter which is twice a year.

If I get back into rabbits, that's where I would buy from.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                        I just reviewed the A&M Kingsville farm. They sell a lot of rabbits.

They told me they breed for heat tolerance and productivity. Does must produce at least 3 babies every litter which is twice a year.

If I get back into rabbits, that's where I would buy from.
                        Yeah just came across that last night. Sounds like a good source. Would have been nice if google was conducive to actuallyfinding things related to what you search for still haha.

Comment

Rabbits are easy to breed once you learn to read does vulva color. You put them together at the right time it will take the buck 5 minutes or less after you put them together. The buck must really enjoy it because he will have a siezure immediately after.

Comment

I started last year with 2 bucks and 2 does , then a friend gave us another doe. New Zealand's and Californians. I got my breeders at 1st Monday in Weatherford from the stock show kids.

I bred all 3 does at the same time and had 32 babies all at once I screwed up and had the litter right and the 1st of warm weather , lost a bout 5 babies and 1 doe to the heat this summer . I harvested all the babies at 12 weeks and have a freezer full of tasty meat.

So far my favorite way to cook is in the instapot and make a rabbit stew. I have fried as well. i plan on smoking some this winter .

I plan to breed them again next month to drop around 1st part of November .

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                              Rabbits are easy to breed once you learn to read does vulva color. You put them together at the right time it will take the buck 5 minutes or less after you put them together. The buck must really enjoy it because he will have a siezure immediately after.

Comment

Working...
                              X