No announcement yet.

Perch fishing is still fun....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing like catching a bunch of them and suddenly having a bass stripping drag on the old zebco

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
      Perch are excellent year round on a fly rod
      Originally posted by Shane View Post
      Yep. Never gets old.

Awesome pictures sir!!!

Fly fishing is something that has just recently started to interest me. Never done it before but I'm gonna give it a go soon enough. I'm sure I'll look stupid at first but maybe just maybe I'll figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
        Perch have saved a lot of fishing trips when nothing else was biting. I still remember my grandpa getting super excited when my cousin and I would pull in hand sized bluegill. Gut, scale, cut heads off and you’re ready to go.

OP, great job getting the young folks involved. You’re doin it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes sir they have saved many a trip. My son loves catching any kind of fish that swims in the water. It's nice because the pond we were at today is in the pasture behind the house. Nice and close and loaded up with perch.

On a different note I think I lost my 257 Weatherby that I bought off of you. And by lost I mean my daughter is wanting to use it this year for deer and pig hunting. So I guess she'll probaly end up and use it going forward. That'll give me a reason to shop around for another gun.

Comment

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
          Awesome pictures sir!!!

Fly fishing is something that has just recently started to interest me. Never done it before but I'm gonna give it a go soon enough. I'm sure I'll look stupid at first but maybe just maybe I'll figure it out.
          It's not that hard. Takes a little instruction and practice, but you'll do fine I'm sure.

Comment

That’s still my favorite kind of fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
              Perch have saved a lot of fishing trips when nothing else was biting. I still remember my grandpa getting super excited when my cousin and I would pull in hand sized bluegill. Gut, scale, cut heads off and you’re ready to go.

OP, great job getting the young folks involved. You’re doin it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              This post reminds me of growing up in east Texas. We would fish stock ponds and creeks. Mom would fry them up in cornmeal batter and a little salt and pepper. A few bones to pull out but really good eating little fish.

Comment

I just love watching a kids smile Everytime. Never gets old....thump oh there's another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  Yep. Never gets old.

Fly fishing for perch out of a kayak is something everyone has to try at least once! Lotsa fun! Popper or San Juan worm and you're golden.

Comment

Shane let's see your fly/popper selection if you don't mind. Are you tying them yourself? What works best for that kind of fly fishing?

Comment

Love fishing for blue gills. My absolute favorite fishing. I don't know how many times I'll hit a pond and see some poor kid trying to catch something with some oversized big ol' hook and I'll eventually cave and ask the kiddo if I can tie on a #10 hook for them so they can catch some fish... or just hand em a bream pole.... you just can't duplicate the joy on their face when they just keep landing fish!

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                      Perch are excellent year round on a fly rod
                      Yes, yes they are! Pretty much my target species any time I hit a pond. Always looking for the bull 'gills.

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
                      Perch filets are absolutely marvelous to eat and make a helluva poboy sandwich. Stack'em like shrimp.
                      Exactly. I wish there were a few more ponds around that had edible 'gills. The grass is way too manicured around the areas I fish in suburbia.

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
                      Just do it!!! There is nothing wrong with picking up a decent combo package from Cabelas/Bass Pro and getting started. That is what I did. Spent a little over $100 and never looked back. There are lots of good videos online... check out the Orvis videos and do some practicing on your lawn with a piece of yarn tied to the end of your leader. It wont' take long for you to be able to then just hit a pond and cast the few feet it takes to hit a 'gills bed.

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                      Shane let's see your fly/popper selection if you don't mind. Are you tying them yourself? What works best for that kind of fly fishing?
                      There are a couple of good threads on this topic on this forum. I tie my own and play around with all sorts of patterns for 'gills. It doesn't take a whole lot believe it or not.

Comment

I use a lot of woolly buggers and grasshoppers for perch. They'll hit smaller trout flies, of course. But I like to use flies that are a little bigger in order to keep from hooking so many tiny perch. The little ones will still peck at the bigger flies, but it's harder for them to get them in their mouths. Big fly, big fish....

I tie most of my flies, but I buy some too whenever I need some and don't have time to tie. I use olive or black woolly buggers, but I also like to tie them in brighter colors for perch and bass. red/white, chartreuse/white, chartreuse/blue, etc.... I like to add flashy stuff to them as well and sometimes rubber legs. I always add lead wire and a bead head to the hook shank before tying a woolly bugger. They need to sink.

Comment

Here's one I tied with a dumbbell eye and rubber legs. Caught this Guad on it Sunday on the South Llano.

Comment

Thanks Shane. I have a fly tying kit but for whatever reason just haven't made myself learn to tie anything yet. It has come in handy for refurbishing some of my beat up poppers so there's that. Have you ever tried using those spiders for bream ("bream killers")? I didn't think about fishing with anything that needed to sink. May have to try that.

Comment

Haha yeah it is!!!!

Comment

Thanks Shane. I have a fly tying kit but for whatever reason just haven't made myself learn to tie anything yet. It has come in handy for refurbishing some of my beat up poppers so there's that. Have you ever tried using those spiders for bream ("bream killers")? I didn't think about fishing with anything that needed to sink. May have to try that.
                                Spiders, beetles, grasshoppers, poppers.... They'll hit them all. Anything that is durable and continues to float well after it gets slimed is good for perch. They're not to picky usually.

You can also tie on a nymph or worm or some kind of sinking fly on a dropper off the back of whatever floating fly you're using. Then the dry fly acts like your "bobber", but you can catch fish on it too. Sometimes a double, one on each fly.

Comment

Working...
                                X