My 2017 Africa Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 2017 Africa Trip

We had planned this trip 2 years ago, it would be my 9th trip to South Africa to hunt with Adansonia Safaris. I met Mof (the owner ) about 20 years ago on my first hunt. Over the years I have watched his business and family grow and have developed a very close relationship with them all. On to the trip. We left Austin on August 14th and flew to Atlanta to catch the big plane to South Africa, The flights went very well with the exception of a few short delays and some really interesting things that happened during the flight. For example, on the Austin to Atlanta flight I am seated next to a young family of a 4 and 6 year old boy and girl and a very small baby. About half way thru the flight the baby starts to fuss a little, the mother and I are seated directly across from each other and I am thinking to myself I sure hope this kids don't start screaming for the rest of the flight. Well imagine my surprise when the mother lifted her shirt and began feeding the baby.....No cover, no trying to hide it at all!!!!! You would have thought she was in the privacy of her own home. On the flight from Atlanta to Joberg was a little different story of a mother and child, this involved cleaning the kids nose, I will spare you the details because I am about to gag just thinking about it. Then there was our stewardess, She looked Just like a woman that Evan Henry ( the guy that went with us ) and I both know. We got to talking as I was trying to convince her to keep the drinks coming because it was my B-Day. As it turns out, her B-Day was two days before. So fast forward to about 9 hours in to the flight, she brings Debbie a full bottle of white wine, we thought that was real nice of her. With about 3 hours to go, I ask her if I can take a photo of her to show our friend, she agrees and i get my phone ready. So I am holding the phone out and tell her get in close for the selfie, she leans over and kisses me on the cheek during the photo!! With Debbie sitting right there!!! I thought I knew fear before, it was redefined when the lioness charged me about 6 years ago, well fear was redefined at that moment. Debbie threw a couple of daggers at her with her eyes and she quickly left. On to the hunt. My target animal was a Sable Antelope, I have wanted one for a while but they were $300.00/inch. As you can imagine a nice Sable of 40 plus inches could get very expensive. Over the past few years they have came way down and Mof told me this was the time to get one if I wanted it. First morning we spotted a group of 4 sable with a nice bull in the group. We tried to get close enough for a shot, but it just didn't work out. That afternoon we were headed out to the blind and just before we got there this big bull was bedded just behind the blind, as I was trying to get ready for the shot he saw us and stood up quartering away at 30 yards. Before you know it I was aiming for the exit hole of the arrow and it was on was on its way. The arrow hit him in his last rib and came out of the off front shoulder, I had hit the exit hole perfectly. 42 1/2 inches with 9 inch bases. My set up was a BowTech Reign 6 at 29 1/2 inches at 65 lbs. The arrows are Carbon Express Mayhems tipped with Maasia 200 grain single bevel heads for a total arrow weight of 530 grains. The set up was shooting about 265 fps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sable11.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	25125483

Click image for larger version

Name:	sable22.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	25125484

Man those are beautiful animals. Congrats!

Comment

Wow. Nice. Congrats

Comment

Congratulations, gorgeous Sable with great symmetry.

Comment

Great sable congrats

Comment

Very nice, congrats!

Comment

Beautiful animal! Congrats

Comment

Congrats!

How did Evan fare?

Comment

That's an awesome Sable !

Mof put you on a good one. I would like to hunt with him again, it's just never worked out

Comment

Awesome and congrats Scott!

Comment

Thanks guys, it was a fun trip, I am looking forward to my next two target animals.

Comment

Beautiful sable. Any other trophies on this trip?

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                            Congrats!

How did Evan fare?
                            He did well despite the weather, we had two cold fronts come in and the wind was howling most of the time. His nerves got the best of him on three different impalas and he missed, but he laid the smack down on the Kudu and the Gemsbok. On the last day he picked up a rifle and after one miss he connected on a very good impala. All in all it was another very good hunt with Adansonia Safaris.

Comment

Your sable is top shelf!!! Congrats on a great trophy

Comment

Working...
                              X