No announcement yet.

Possible 1300 mi Roadtrip to Diamond C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once we returned to the ranch house we all decided to head out and do some spot and stalk for hogs. That afternoon 2 more guys arrived and they were there for hogs. Over the course of the next 2 days there were 8 hogs taken by spot and stalk.

Comment

That evening I decided to sit in the same blind I was in during the morning hunt and I had the Kudu and Zebra as my first visitors. Shortly after that the Oryx were out walking the same route as the prior evening. After heading back into the ranch I had learned that Robert sat a stand on the High fence side hoping to have some pigs come in. What he reported was that he had 26 Aoudad, with 3 really good males come to the feeder in front of him and he was able to watch them for almost 30 minutes.Jeff and Josh didnt see much that morning and everyone else was slaughtering pigs on the low fence side.

Comment

The zebra was a visitor
        Attached Files

Comment

That day I shot my fallow I watched him at about 100yds slowly working his way to me, I'm glad the falow came first cause I was thinking about an upgrade watching him. Keep the details coming, I'm on the edge of my seat.

Comment

Oryx Down

Upon return to the ranch I told Skylar that I was going to try to get one of the Mouflon that I had seen on our drive back and back off the Oryx ....for now. Jeff talked with Skylar and decided to head back out. Skylar set him up closer to the area that I had been reporting seeing the oryx. Later that afternoon we learned that Jeff scored on his oryx. I was doing a spot stalk and did not make it back in time to get a picture of Jeff with his Oryx, and I apologize for that. But here is a picture of the oryx. One horn was 40.5" and the other was 37.5". Way to Go Jeff!!!!!!I am sure Skylar will have the photo on his website soon, if not done already.
            Attached Files

Comment

I will continue updating this evening. Time for some chores, which include spraying about an acre to prepare a new food plot.

Comment

sounds like a good time. the 13 April cannot get here fast enough. my only problem is what to hunt. audad or black buck

Comment

That same afternoon, Jeff's uncle scored on a nice hog that went about 150#. While he was waiting for the boys to come back in with the Oryx, a very nice blackbuck walked out of the Junipers on the low fence side and stood broadside for about 30 seconds at 15 yards. No he did not take a shot. He said it had 3 if not 4 twists and the horns were over 22". I had a hard time believing that until I saw the buck for myself with a doe the next day while stalking pigs. He is in the low fence side with several does. Not sure how many bucks, but he is there. Also plenty of fallow does on the low fence side as well.
                  Later that evening I sat in a stand between 2 ponds on the high fence side. About 30 minutes before dark a good hog came in to the pond for a drink. My arrow found its mark. While sitting there hoping for something else to come in hog after hog after hog (all very good ones) came toward the pond. But about the time they would get to the blood trail they would get out of dodge quickly. When Skylar arrived I told him I was concerned about finding the hog because it was a decent size and I did not have a pass thru . I was worried that the entry/exit holes would be plugged with no blood. That little dog of his was on the trail and at the pig about 70 yards away within 2 minutes.

Comment

My first Hog at the ranch
                    Attached Files

Comment

Well it was only 3 hunts into a 8 hunt outting and things were looking good. At this point all the guys that were there for just hogs had all killed at least 1. Of those of us there for exotics as well, Jeff was the only one to score, he had his oryx.

The next morniong I sat in a familiar blind again. That would be the one facing East about 60 yards north of the south High Fence on the west side of ranch (HINT, HINT). That morning as I sat there I watched at least 15 blackbuck walk the fence road. Not really in a hurry, but with a purpose. The lead 5 were all VERY GOOD bucks!!!!! The next few that followed would have seen an arrow fly from the string of my bow as well. But the first 5 were all over 20". I am sure 2 of the lead bucks had 4 twists in the horns. They were awesome to watch. After they had gone by a group of sheep came to the front of my blind. Corsicans, Dahl, Black Hawaian, and.....wait for it.......2 mouflon. One of the Corsicans was a complete brute with awesome mass and length. He didnt stay to chow down. He just walked right on through and bedded about 50 yards away and watched the others. The mouflons walked behind the group and the bigger of the two went on to hang out with the bedded corsican. The other remained behind all the other rams and just stared at the blind. My guess is they are aware that someone can be inside. Both of them appeared smaller than what I had seen so I was not about to shoot. However, if I did not already have a Corsican or a Dahl sheep on my wall I would have taken one. They are almost all quite large. The morning ended with two stags standing about 15 yards out. They have some nice knobs sprouting and I would bet these will be very nice in 2 or three months.

Comment

That afternoon, back at the bunk house, Robert was talking about maybe taking another ram as he now had 2 hogs, the dahl ram and wanted to continue hunting. Soooooo, off he goes. 2 or 3 hours later he has a decent black hawaian. It had a very special characteristic about its one horn. Anyone that has seen this critter knows what I am talking about. However, it IS NOT THAT ONE. The one Robert shot is a newby with the same condition. Sorry but I have no photos as I was out stalking at the time and did not get a chance to take a picture.

Comment

The rest of the hunt Josh had sat in the blind where the Aoudad were seen. And although we know they were out there they never came into that blind for him to get a shot. However on the last morning after not seeing anything, he went out for a stalk and took a nice ram. Sorry no pix again....was out stalking.

Comment

My final morning hunt

On the last morning sit of my hunt, I had already taken my exotic so I sat on the low fence side hoping to take one more hog. The sun had not risen as of yet, nor had the feeder gone off. Well, I will let the video tell the story.
                            IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                            I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO
                            Last edited by BowBuck2; 04-06-2012, 08:13 PM. Reason: Video not playing

Comment

Having problems getting video up. Advanced editting, selected youtube and copy pasted embed code between the youtube markers on post window. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Video: Donnie's Hog
                                [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1fH6TA7xks&context=C4e91ef8ADvjVQa1PpcFOC UKwp3sFNOGH_EmIa0e2ERdvbB8hSA50"]Hog hunt at the Diamond C - YouTube[/ame]

My Hog:
                                [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nkb-fJqH-Q&list=UUYCJAgEWYrGTcO9kwcE6hCw&index=1&feature=pl cp"]Texas Hog 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                                X