No announcement yet.

Jumping the String - Where do you Aim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also remember when you are elevated your going to shoot a little higher then normal so you want to aim a little lower anyway!

Comment

The key is to shoot at relaxed deer. Give the deer time to relax and it will not jump the string as bad. Aim lower 1/3, in the crease and she will do just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
        I aim for the ol pocket rocket heart shot, if they duck you’ll catch lungs if they jump it’ll be a clean miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same for me. I get a lot of double lung kills this way

Comment

relaxed deer is the biggest key!

Comment

I don't shoot a deer that has its head down. In that position they can duck much further and faster than if they have their head up looking at another deer or what have you. Not with the head up and alert or looking at me though.

Works for me and I have not missed a deer due to one ducking the string while doing this.

I did stick a limb once though but it didn't duck.

Comment

Shoot for the lower third of the body , you'll never go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                I don't shoot a deer that has its head down. In that position they can duck much further and faster than if they have their head up looking at another deer or what have you. Not with the head up and alert or looking at me though.

Works for me and I have not missed a deer due to one ducking the string while doing this.

I did stick a limb once though but it didn't duck.

This^^^ is solid advice and I agree with 100%. When a deer has its head down it acts as a counterweight and helps the body drop faster.

Comment

I'd rather have a deer's head down eating (especially facing away) on the draw than up looking around and alert .... but that's just me. I'm more interested in having the shot angle right with the onside shoulder forward. No way in heck am I going to throw a third "have to" in the mix. That's a lotta things to line up with even fewer opportunities for it all to lineup perfectly. Get it and zip it!

Comment

I always aim for the heart.
                    I have spined a few that ducked but they all died.

Comment

Aim for the heart... Ramon.

Comment

I posted these pics in another thread a few days ago. Here's a deer ducking my arrow from Sunday.

Everything about the shot was was great and placement was right where I wanted. Other than her front right leg being back but that didn't effect the shot. The arrow was going right where I placed it.

Maybe I'll start waiting for them to raise their head up. Shot was 20 yards or so.

Comment

Comment

Dang Ryan, that's a cool picture sequence

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              This^^^ is solid advice and I agree with 100%. When a deer has its head down it acts as a counterweight and helps the body drop faster.
                              Our deer was head down eating when she took the shot. The video shows just how quickly she dropped. Will have to remember that for next time.

Comment

As Doc said, focus on shooting the deer at the right time. A calm relaxed animal is less likely to duck a shot than one that's on edge. Work on drawing slow and practicing from sitting positions if you hunt out of a ground blind. Quiet your bow as much as possible, easy to spook deer with an arrow sliding across a rest, rattling of quiver mounts, etc. Speed is not your issue, its stealth. Even the fastest bows out there do not break the speed of sound, therefore the sound of the shot gets to the deer before the arrow. I've seen shots of deer jumping guys strings that are shooting maxed out bows that are smoking fast, almost all of those were because the deer was alert at the time of shot. Focus on stealth and being relaxed, if you need to lower the poundage of the bow to draw it slower and hold it longer then I would consider that as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X