Shotgun Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shotgun Advice

I'm looking for one shotgun that does it all - besides a pump or O/U. Does this exist?? I like to dove hunt through the end of October here in Oklahoma. I also like to shoot ducks and geese over decoys with an occasional Quail or pheasant hunt stuck in the middle.

I currently have an older model Benelli Montefeltro with a heavy duty Wolf recoil spring in it. It won't cycle dove loads 95% of the time. It is also old enough that I can't find choke tubes for it. I have an older Franchi long recoil shotgun, but you have to have the spring set just right to cycle the light loads. This afternoon I had a mixed bag of shells and it cycled about 2/3 of them.

I've shot a buddy's Beretta A300 (I believe that is what it was) and didn't care for the fit. Any other suggestions? Any experience with the new A5 or V3? What about the newer Montefeltro? I like the fit of mine, but even if I dropped back to a standard spring, I still can't get tubes for it.

Just looking for feedback at the moment as it will ultimately boil down to fit.

Thanks,
    Skooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The gun seek does in fact exist and is known as the Benelli M2!

Comment

Beretta A400 has fit adjustment.

Comment

Benelli M2

Comment

Remington v3. Going on my 2nd season now. Prob put about 1500 rounds through it. Purposely havent cleaned yet. Still cycles great. Grabagun has them way cheaper than anywhere else ive seen.
          Last edited by Fishxbones; 10-07-2017, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Shotgun Advice

Originally posted by skooter View Post
            I'm looking for one shotgun that does it all - besides a pump or O/U. Does this exist?? I like to dove hunt through the end of October here in Oklahoma. I also like to shoot ducks and geese over decoys with an occasional Quail or pheasant hunt stuck in the middle.

I currently have an older model Benelli Montefeltro with a heavy duty Wolf recoil spring in it. It won't cycle dove loads 95% of the time. It is also old enough that I can't find choke tubes for it. I have an older Franchi long recoil shotgun, but you have to have the spring set just right to cycle the light loads. This afternoon I had a mixed bag of shells and it cycled about 2/3 of them.

I've shot a buddy's Beretta A300 (I believe that is what it was) and didn't care for the fit. Any other suggestions? Any experience with the new A5 or V3? What about the newer Montefeltro? I like the fit of mine, but even if I dropped back to a standard spring, I still can't get tubes for it.

Just looking for feedback at the moment as it will ultimately boil down to fit.

Thanks,
            Skooter

What was wrong with the Beretta A300 fit? Did it fill a little too thick?

Edit: I could make a 1000 jokes with that post[emoji23]. But Benelli's do feel slimmer than the Beretta's.

I shoot a Beretta A390 and would put it up against any shotgun made in the last 20 years. I also shoot new Beretta's in 12 and 20 gauge and love them both. I have had people not like the fit of the camo 12 gauge A400 extreme but anyone who has shot the xplor 20 has fallen in love with it.

Last edited by Black Ice; 10-07-2017, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Black Ice,

It may have been all mental, but I felt like the action was cycling right under my nose. I tried it under a little pressure during a clays event, so I might have been over critical.

I have a 20ga O/U that just feels good and I shoot it well, but sometimes you just want that extra shot.

I've heard a lot of good things about the 390. How does it do on cycling shells of all loads? I don't even want to look at it if it won't cycle everything reliably.

Thanks

Comment

Benelli SBE2.

Comment

I’ve got a benelli Vinci for sale if you’re interested. Will split shipping

Comment

I have had guides from Mexico & Argentina say the original 390 is the only gun that customers could not destroy...that says a lot. I personally collect & shoot the original/early M1 Benelli H&K import, but inertia guns may not always eject light dove loads.

I shoot an O/U for doves and whitewing...I don't like to leave shells on the places I hunt & sure don't like picking them up. Plus a good fitting Sporting O/U is a joy out in the field.

This whole one gun for everything is perplexing...I thought we needed at least 2-3 for every application??

Comment

Benelli SBE 2/3 or M2...

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                        I have had guides from Mexico & Argentina say the original 390 is the only gun that customers could not destroy...that says a lot. I personally collect & shoot the original/early M1 Benelli H&K import, but inertia guns may not always eject light dove loads.

I shoot an O/U for doves and whitewing...I don't like to leave shells on the places I hunt & sure don't like picking them up. Plus a good fitting Sporting O/U is a joy out in the field.

This whole one gun for everything is perplexing...I thought we needed at least 2-3 for every application??
                        I tend to agree with the your last statement...except manybe4-5

Comment

Remington Versamax or V3

Comment

I'm a Beretta and Remington fan but I think you will likely be happier with Benelli for what you are looking for. I have a Teknys 391 and an A400, along with several 1100s. The gas driven guns will always be more finicky in my opinion. It's crucial to keep them clean and shoot good quality shells, even then I tend to have problems on occasion.

And I'm with Artos, this whole one gun thing is baffling.

Comment

M2, or Montefeltro.

Comment

Working...
                              X