School me on bay fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on bay fishing

Picking up my new xpress h20b next week and looking to do some bay fishing. I have never done any bay fishing so any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Plan on going 2-3 times a year so when’s the best times to go?

Best time to go is anytime you can

Comment

I dont have any great pointers for ya, but depending on what bay you are fishing, try for flats or natural channels. Best advice, get out there, have fun and you will eventually figure your boat and locations out. Early summer the trout are in full swing FYI

Comment

Where you planning to go?

Is that a tunnel hull?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

i bay fish year round. I look for structure, bait, water movement when picking an area to fish. Sand/grass in spring and summer time, mud/grass or mud/shell in the winter. Keep things simple, if lure fishing pick a few baits and learn to work them well. And lastly, the bays just like many lakes are no joke when it comes to safety. Crowds of people running wide open, shallow water in some places, other navigational hazards, and so on can make things crazy on the water. I would suggest finding a guide that will run in your boat and show your where and how to run safely by putting tracks on your GPS, then you can go back and learn the fishing part on your time.

Comment

I cannot school you on bay fishing in one paragraph on this thread... it takes years and I'm still learning... BUT if you just want to catch fish get some bait... any kind... find a cut with moving water and you'll get a tug...

Comment

Underwater hazards on the bay are no joke. You need to be really careful while you're learning the ropes.

Comment

If you plan on fishing 2-3 times a year get some cut bait and a surf rod , steel cable deep drop rig and fish near a cleaning station for steady action

P.S don't forget some Milwaukee best beer
                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 04-20-2018, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Go to troutsupport.com and buy the videos. They will speed up the learning curve considerably. Lots of good info and the owner Tobin is a great guy. You can call him directly with questions. What bay system you looking to fish?

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                    I cannot school you on bay fishing in one paragraph on this thread... it takes years and I'm still learning... BUT if you just want to catch fish get some bait... any kind... find a cut with moving water and you'll get a tug...
                    X2. Live shrimp under a popping cork and you'll get something to bite.

Comment

Go fish the jetties first. You'll always catch something

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                        Go fish the jetties first. You'll always catch something
                        I wish that were true for me, I couldn't catch a cold at the jetties. I'll be working on my jetty/surf game this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                          i bay fish year round. I look for structure, bait, water movement when picking an area to fish. Sand/grass in spring and summer time, mud/grass or mud/shell in the winter. Keep things simple, if lure fishing pick a few baits and learn to work them well. And lastly, the bays just like many lakes are no joke when it comes to safety. Crowds of people running wide open, shallow water in some places, other navigational hazards, and so on can make things crazy on the water. I would suggest finding a guide that will run in your boat and show your where and how to run safely by putting tracks on your GPS, then you can go back and learn the fishing part on your time.
                          This!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will look into each of them. Really wanna get on some red fish.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                              Go to troutsupport.com and buy the videos. They will speed up the learning curve considerably. Lots of good info and the owner Tobin is a great guy. You can call him directly with questions. What bay system you looking to fish?
                              Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                              X2. Live shrimp under a popping cork and you'll get something to bite.
                              These 2 along with getting a good mapping unit and get the navionics chip. There are lots of hazards in the bay that you can't see. Oyster reefs, sand bars, rocks, etc. a good mapping unit with updated software will steer you clear of a lot of it but not all.

My best advice would be to hire a guide your first trip or 2 to learn the area.

Comment

Working...
                              X