Angry for sure,little long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angry for sure,little long

Okay been bowhunting second season,fell last year broke 4 ribs. This year started slow like most of us. I am in young county between Graham and Graford. Shot my first deer Saturday a spike but deer none the less,tracked it with help in and out and around 4.5 miles according to fit bit,came to a split left or right up and over a mesquite or under ,blood where he stopped,then no blood went several hundred yards in each direction never found him or any more blood.Now Friday morning Doe comes in watch her eat here come another total of ten minutes watching take shot pass thru arrow covered in blood both take off. One left, shot doe goes right,wait for a few get down. Gather arrow soaked with blood start looking find no blood can't even be sure which way she went out of pen. So I walk back and forth, crisis cross,circle at least 700 yards can not find a hint of blood or the deer,any advice would be great. Just frustrated. Does a blood light help at all. Or is this just part of it..thanks guys and gals my skin is thick so let's hear it. Rick

Are you elevated in stand if your exit is lower the blood will fill up in the cavity quicker and you will get blood quicker on the ground. What broadhead you using? Where are you hitting them?

Comment

If your arrows are covered in blood, the razor heads seem to be Sharp? Are they slicing paper without any snag? Totally Sharp? They should drop with 30 or 40 yards maximum with a double lung shot. Dull heads the deer will go forever.

Comment

Other than punctuation, I think the key thing missing here is where you hit each deer. A deer that went 4.5 miles wasnt shot in the right place. Where were you aiming and how was the deer standing?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
          Other than punctuation, I think the key thing missing here is where you hit each deer. A deer that went 4.5 miles wasnt shot in the right place. Where were you aiming and how was the deer standing?
          This!

Also what others have said. Make sure your broad heads are sharp and try shooting from an elevated position so you have a downwards exits. Should help leave a better blood trail.

Comment

It might be helpful to get a pic of a deer's anatomy with the heart lung. I've seen a lot of new hunters thinking they are hitting in the heart lung when they are in fact hitting them in the gut.
            Anatomy of a Whitetail Deer illustrations along with some beautiful Whitetail Deer Pictures good for Whitetail Deer Anatomy Hunting reference.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              Amen! Take a breath buddy!

Comment

Like GarGuy said, if a deer went 4 miles, it was not hit in the right spot. Like also said above, we don't know where you hit either deer, so we cannot really tell you anything concrete about what happened with your shots. I can say this though, if you are fairly new to bowhunting, and you also shoot 3D, the 12 ring on almost every 3D target is waaaaaaaaaay to high, so if you happen to be shooting them like you would a 3D target, you are likely shooting them too high.

Bisch

Comment

I always sit perfectly still after the shot and listen. You can usually here them die within earshot if it was a good shot. Sounds like you are getting down to soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvey View Post
                    I always sit perfectly still after the shot and listen. You can usually here them die within earshot if it was a good shot. Sounds like you are getting down to soon.
                    This is a very good piece of info. Stay put. Back out and go get a sandwich. Even on my "perfect" shots i back out and wait now. Cause sometimes what you imagine as perfect is only marginal. Pushing a deer makes for a tough track.

Comment

Rifle.........

Comment

How long are you waiting before you start tracking?

Honestly to me it sounds like you need to have an experienced bowhunter sit with you for a season or two until you get things figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvey View Post

Post like this make want to consider hearing aids.
                          I'm getting tired of not hearing the details.

Comment

Don't let anyone make you feel any worse than you already do, Sofee. Anyone that has not had that happen to them has not shot a lot of deer. I sympothize with you, bad feeling but it's going to happen whether with bow or rifle

Comment

Yes on elevated,Muzzy

Comment

Working...
                              X