Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

The Spiritual Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Spiritual Search

Thought I'd step in and post some devotionals for our Bro. Bill. He often uses lessons from Oswald Chambers.

The Spiritual Search
    The illustration of prayer that our Lord used here is one of a good child who is asking for something good. We talk about prayer as if God hears us regardless of what our relationship is to Him. (see Mathew 5:45) Never say that it is not God's will to give you what you ask, don't faint and give up, but find out the reason you have not recieved; increase the intensity of your search and examine the evidence. Is your relationship right with your spouse, your children, and your fellow students? Are you a "good child" in those relationships? Do you have to say to the Lord, "I have been irritable and cross, but I still want spirtual blessings"? You cannot receive and will have to do without them until you have the attitude of a "good child."
    We mistake defiance for devotion, arguing with God instead of surrendering. We refuse to look at the evidence that clearly indicates where we are wrong. Have I been asking God to give me money for something I want, while refusing to pay someone what I owe him? Have I been asking God for liberty while I am witholding it from someone who belongs to me? Have I refused to forgive someone, and have I been living as God's child among my relatives and friends? (see Mathew 7:12).
    I am a child of God only by being born again, and as His child I am good only as I "walk in the light" (1John 1:7) For most of us, prayer simply becomes some trivial religious expression, a matter of mystical and emotional fellowship with God. We are all good at producing spiritual fog that blinds our sight. But if we will search out and examine the evidence, we will see very clearly what is wrong-- a friendship, an unpaid debt, or an improper attitude. There is no use praying unless we are living as children of God. Then Jesus says, regarding His children, "Everyone who asks receives.." (Mathew 7:8)

Amen like that. this is the same thing God has been dealing with me about. keeping my saltiness and letting my light shine for his glory. And I am decided to follow him. After all if all he gives me is eternal life and salvation. Then what else could i ask for. After all this life is just temporary. thanks for the word

Comment

Amen!

Comment

Originally posted by jimi2wrench View Post
        Amen like that. this is the same thing God has been dealing with me about. keeping my saltiness and letting my light shine for his glory. And I am decided to follow him. After all if all he gives me is eternal life and salvation. Then what else could i ask for. After all this life is just temporary. thanks for the word
        Yea, how can something that seems so simple be so hard?

Comment

ttt for the early crowd

Comment

Excellent! Sometimes prayer is taken so casually. People ask for it, people say they will - and don't. We ask in prayer and forget to thank and praise God for his grace, mercy and provision. We get serious about praying for specific things, yet have sin in our lives and subconsciously think that God will not see it or overlook it, and answer our prayer.

I am totally guilty of all these things.

Great reminder. Thank you.

Comment

Bump for Bro. Bill. Can't let him think we are slacking.

Comment

A close walk with God will give you an understanding of how to pray. I believe that prayers for most worldly things (money, house, etc.) fall on deaf ears. God is gracious and merciful but He is not santa clause. God knows exactly what we need and he will provide it if we walk with Him. My wife and I looked and made offers on several houses that we wanted and thought were perfect. I never prayed that God would give us those houses. I prayed and told God that I knew his will was far superior to mine. I asked that His will would come to pass on whether or not our offer was accepted. I told him that i wanted the house, but only if it was His will. Many houses did not work out but one did; the perfect one He had for me. His will was indeed perfect and He blessed the entire process but never let me forget that i needed Him. Many issues arose and each time I sought his assistane. I prayed "Father God i know this is Your will for us to get this home or else we would not be at this point. I need your help because i can not do this without you." And it all worked out and I praised Him for it.

I'm not trying to say hey look at me. I'm trying to give a personal look into my walk with my Savior and how He has showed me to pray. Seek not your will but His.

Comment

Working...
                X