Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garner State Park Archery Exotic Semi Live!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck in the morning Mo!

Comment

Axis are definitely harder to hunt than whitetail, more so, when they know they are being hunted. They will quickly change their pattern and go to the most dense brush and steepest hills. Any place that is hard to get to them and very low chance of getting to them, without them knowing you are coming their direction.

As many as you are seeing at night and not during the day, I am going to say they are hiding in the thick stuff and probably not going to move much at all during the day. Very unlikely to come to bait, unless it's a young deer. They know they are being hunted.

IF you don't have some good cover up sent on, you should have some. I have been using earth sent or the fall earth sent for many years, works very well. I don't know what is allowed on these hunts, but this is probably the point for a spot and stalk style hunt. That won't be easy at all, but you would likely see more, just not likely to get a shot. If it were me, I would be hunting someplace where there is no bait and none has been for a while. More likely to find axis there right now. Find their trails and follow them, you might get lucky and find them and come up with a plan that works. I have been to Garner, but don't have any idea what areas they allow you to hunt. We did see axis on some of our trips to Garner during the summer time, even then they did not stop and look at you, as soon as they saw my truck they took off running. Even then, we only saw them moving through mesquite, never really saw them walking around in the open, they were always sneaking through the mesquite, when we saw them. Now that I think about that place, they are probably up on the side of the hill, in a area where it's steep and the brush is thick. The one place we hunted that had axis, that's where they stayed for two seasons once they realized they were being hunted. Before they figured out they were being hunted, they would lay in a pasture in large groups, during the middle of the day. Then they figured out they were being hunted and they turned into ghosts. You would only hear them moving around on the steepest hill sides, near the pasture they had previously grazed all day in. At night they would come out and would be all over the place, in the open.

That info probably does not help much, but it might, depending on what TPW allows. A rifle would be nice to have along at this point, probably going to need one, if you do see a axis, because it will probably be out of bow range and moving away quickly. Maybe you will find a young buck that adventures out on his own. I got one that made that mistake, one time years ago. I am pretty sure that deer was young and dumb, out looking for doe, while the older wiser bucks were holding tight on the sides of the hills. Good luck.

Comment

What an awesome trip! The real food looks fit for a princess and rightly so! Give 'em hell in the morning Mo! Good luck!

Comment

Is it time yet? Good Luck today!

Comment

Today is the day. TBH has a big history of getting it done on the last day. Time to send one.

Comment

Good luck Mo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Garner State Park Archery Exotic Semi Live!

All set up. Happy to have a ground blind in this weather.

Successful hunt or not this morning I've had a wonderful week camping with one of my all time favorite people. We've had good food and a good time.
                Lucky for me I get to follow a once in a life time week of hunting up with a weekend trip to the CDLC with all of my favorite people.

Also I keep hearing something about a "Cheesey chicken fried steak" from Bill and Rosas.

I'm happy that y'all get follow along! I need all of the luck I can get this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's been a great hunt regardless if you get an Axis or not. I enjoyed following along. Best of luck this morning

Comment

Originally posted by antlercollector View Post
                    it's been a great hunt regardless if you get an axis or not. I enjoyed following along. Best of luck this morning
                    x100000000

Comment

I hope it happens for you this morning Mo! Good luck!!!

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Shoot straight and good luck.

Comment

Awesome trip so far! Good Luck!

Comment

Good luck!!!!!

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Working...