X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to do this. Marked for later.

Comment

Originally posted by Okiehunter View Post
      The Pioneer trail is not much to it and it dead ends but if you really just want to ride in the woods it can be nice. You can take a car or your Ranger over to Lake Cabresto, it is a nice ride but it is more of a road than a trail. Make sure you get your permit, have a spark arrestor and if you have kids they have a helmet. The Ranger will stop you and check your permit and arrestor. I don't know but I suspect the ticket is not cheap.

Yessir. Good info. Ranger is good to go. Going to buy the $18 permit and rent a couple helmets for the kids. I read the kiddos have to wear approved safety glasses of some sort. One of my kids wears glasses so not sure about that. I'll have to check on the specifics of that deal.

Skinny

Comment

Make sure you're up to speed on permit and insurance requirements. We got a little roughed up by a ranger near Cinnamon Pass a few years back. We were oblivious to the requirements... but we remedied that evening! New Mexico may be different, though.

OOTLM (Out of Towners Lives Matter!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	web IMG_7459.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	448.5 KB
ID:	24502209

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
          Make sure you're up to speed on permit and insurance requirements. We got a little roughed up by a ranger near Cinnamon Pass a few years back. We were oblivious to the requirements... but we remedied that evening! New Mexico may be different, though.

[ATTACH]862478[/ATTACH]

Yep. Got my Ranger insurance ID card in the glove box, spark arrestor in place, one required mirror in place, etc....and will purchase a permit as soon as we get into town.

Skinny

Comment

Yessir. Good info. Ranger is good to go. Going to buy the $18 permit and rent a couple helmets for the kids. I read the kiddos have to wear approved safety glasses of some sort. One of my kids wears glasses so not sure about that. I'll have to check on the specifics of that deal.
            I forgot about the goggle requirement for the kids. Not sure about glasses but you can ask where you rent the hard hats. You will want something to cover you mouth, nose and eyes to help with dust too.

In 5 days you can make them all easy enough. Pack jackets and rain gear and your lunch and enjoy the cool. Be safe, someone every year is either killed or hurt bad on them trails, almost always because of too much speed. Watch the dirt bikes, they go way to fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post

[ATTACH]862478[/ATTACH]

He ran out of tickets before he got to me!
              Lesto!!

Comment

Sooo glad to see this OP! Wife and I decided against buying a diesel pusher or any RV, so we upgraded to a newer UTV Ranger Crew. We plan to just tow and explore. We discussed this just last night wondering how to find areas we could park the truck and take the Ranger out! Only thing I'm not sure of is the "spark arrestor?" Have NO idea if ours has it? It's a 2013 Polaris LE 800 Crew. Anybody know if it has one or what do we have to do to make it compliant? Following...also, any internet sites to explore and find the various trails in NM or Colorado??

Comment

Took my truck up to goose lake last June, ranger next time! Rough on a 3/4 diesel. Ran into on elderly couple that flipped their four wheeler on the way down. The gentleman hurt his arm pretty good. On a ranger, I think it's pretty safe and fun though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Redriver.org has good information and links about the trails around red river. Greenie is easily with a UTV and a neat ride. I've taken jeeps up goose lake trail and it was fine if you take it slow. Wouldn't hesitate to take a UTV there. 4th of July is more rugged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

the starr trading post/fly shop in town sells a map of the whole mountain range (I'm sure everywhere has them) it has all the trails, streams, interesting sites( old mine shafts, cabins etc.) listed. i don't get cell service in most of the area so the map is nice. The goose lake trail is rough i wouldn't take a truck that you care about up there.

Comment

Only thing I'm not sure of is the "spark arrestor?" Have NO idea if ours has it? It's a 2013 Polaris LE 800 Crew.
                        Unless you have taken it off it has one.

Comment

any internet sites to explore and find the various trails in NM or Colorado??
                          Google it. I have been to a number of places in both NM and CO. Red River is about the best I have seen in NM. Up around Ouray, Colorado in that area is the best I have seen in CO https://www.alltrails.com/us/colorad...f-road-driving

Comment

This picture is in CO.

Comment

Home for the next 5 days!

Skinny

Comment

Have fun and be safe hogdude and family! Nice pics everyone, looks like fun.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X