Baker 3 Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baker 3 Ranch

Has anyone ever gone on one of the annual Blackbuck or Axis hunts? What type success was there & did you see animals? Would you go back?

I just checked out their website - I'd be interested in going but like you, would appreciate any feedback from folks who have been there before. Thanks.

Comment

I would definitely go back if they weren't raising their prices...good opportunities on axis and blackbuck, I whiffed on an axis buck last March and shot an axis doe a couple of weeks ago. It is an awesome ranch and a lot of fun, but with the price increases I may not be back...

Comment

oh yeah, and TONS of turkeys

Comment

So do you have to worry about at least having shot opportunities?

Comment

Originally posted by Double Drop View Post
            So do you have to worry about at least having shot opportunities?
            They are free-ranging animals. If you set up around a feeder, you will most likely see some turkeys. If you go during whitetail season, you should have a shot at a whitetail doe. Blackbucks and axis will require some "real" hunting, but there are plenty of animals out there. I have been twice and have shot 3 turkeys and an axis doe, and shot at and whiffed on an axis buck and a whitetail doe.

Comment

How do you hunt with a brushed in ground blind or do they already have stands placed. I am not much of a feeder hunter anyway so I would rather have to get out & hunt them. Just wondering if for the $ it felt like a real hunt & not like you just walk out & shoot something.

Comment

I loved it

It is definately a challenge and there are no guarantees. There are a ton of animals, but it is 23,000 acres. I went on the july hunt and had plenty of whitetails in bow range, but no axis or blackbucks. I am going back and taking a treestand and getting on a good draw or creekbed and waiting it out for an axis buck. If you are patient and scout out a decent spot around water or food, then you could get a shot.

I spot and stalked a corsican after figuring out that my game plan for an axis sucked.

I will be there next June.

Comment

Originally posted by Murph View Post
                  It is definately a challenge and there are no guarantees. There are a ton of animals, but it is 23,000 acres. I went on the july hunt and had plenty of whitetails in bow range, but no axis or blackbucks.
                  Same here, but I did see one axis at a water hole that I was hunting. I was set up at the wrong end. He was smaller than my other axis so I wouldn't have shot him anyhow so I helped another guy get set up down there and he ended up shooting him the next evening.

I think there were 40 something hunters that weekend and I think 3 of them bagged an axis buck. The success rate isn't all that high, from my limited experience there, but it is a BIG place and it is free range. The hunts are pretty well organized so you don't have to worry about someone coming tromping through the area that you're hunting.

Get there early and find a bed ... I ended up sleeping on the porch the first night!

Comment

I too was thinking of doing the black buck hunt. The price seemed to good or a very hard hunt. All the bucks you can shoot that are 16 inch or less. I have never done an exotic hunt so would this ranch be a good one to start with? I was interested in shooting a black buck, but then again if I see a monster axis that would be hard to pass on. If I shot one I would have to hide it from the wife. We are currently saving for a house. She would not consider an axis deer on the same page as a home.

Comment

I've hunted both turkey and axis and it was easy. I did with my bow. They are very nice people who would accommodate you if you let them know ahead. For the $$$ in Texas great place

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I go with a group of 25 guys every year. We've been going for the past 5 years. What time frame are you looking at ? Axis rut start of May, it will be hot. Hunt tanks..we've all had success spot and stalk, tree blinds on tanks and ground blinds. It's a bow only hunt that we do. There is a huge black buck in the house pasture over 3 curls. It is very hard hunting. We pack lunches and plenty of cold ones and stay out all day. There is tons of axis. There is another black buck that likes to hang out in the open field when you past the dads house and take a right going to Bonnie's camp. I also like feeding corn on the roads, when we drive around. Good luck and post some pictures.

Comment

Holly Resurrection, a thread from 2008.

I hunted there last week and saw at least a 100 different axis every day. It's not an easy hunt but it is very fun. I had several opportunities at bucks but didn't feel like paying the additional fee. I got busted on the draw once and missed a tight shot at 40 yards on a stalk one morning.

Comment

Sounds like a target rich environment.

Comment

I see this is a old post with new threads. The place does look good.

Comment

Working...
                              X