Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The River and the Wall" Trumps borderwall and wildlife.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do think it would impact wildlife. Pronghorn, bighorn, bears and cats. Would the impact harm populations? I don't know. We do a pretty good job managing these populations on our side of the line. The wall itself seems like a dumb idea to me. Boots on the ground and as it's already been mentioned, enforce the laws we already have.
    Last edited by Stoof; 05-31-2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
      The wall won't get built, and it doesn't need to.

We need to start prosecuting people who use illegals. That means go to Home Depot, watch the workers get picked up, stop that truck, and make sure everything is legal. Make the temp visa program more accessible like it was under Obama. Then enforce laws already on the book; if they overstay, they get sent home, and are not allowed back for a certain period of time. If they are found here illegally a second time, they get locked up for a certain amount of time.

Once you have stopped the flow stemming from coming here for work, go after criminals running drugs and trafficking people. This can be done with our military, and we can bring them home from battling those sand diggers in the middle east, and let our boys sleep on their home turf.

The wall doesn't need to be built, and shouldn't be built. Enforcement of current laws would go a lot further compared to a wall being built. A wall being built would impact who knows how many thousands of species and people.
      There's very little that you post on here that I agree with, but on this one, you're spot on. I had a ranch that I leased for 31 years that had over 8 miles of Rio Grande River frontage south of Del Rio. Back when "W" was president, the various agencies post 911 that were involved with homeland security started a pilot program using some gubment grants and other support in the "Del Rio sector" of the Rio Grande called "Zero-Tolerance". Val Verde county with the assistance from these grants built a brand spankin' new jail similar to what Sheriff Joe did out in Arizona. It was cinder block buildings high fences with razor wire, etc. Everyone caught crossing the border was prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for not only illegally crossing the border, but they did complete background checks on them and threw the book at 'em and locked 'em up. The very minimum time they spent in this lock up was 6 months. Border crossings in the 8 mile section we had in this sector went from thousands/month to less than 10/month...

If you build the wall and you don't patrol it and watch it with various technologies, it will just be climbed or tunneled under... so it still takes the manpower to do that. If you're gonna do that, you don't need the wall. What is needed is enforce the dang laws we have now!

Further to the wildlife, the problem with the area where we hunted, and where the main ranch headquarters had large farming operations right on the river is that the proposed wall route put much of the river valley on the MEXICO side of the wall!! Where I hunted would be on the wrong side of the wall, and it was thousands of acres. The proposal was to put "gates" or portals in it to allow for passage of workers/tractors/equipment, etc... with NO regard for wildlife. Wildlife indeed migrates up and down the river. Our property was just south of the city of Del Rio and our deer/turkey/exotic population was much higher than the lower part of the ranch because once wildlife got to that part of the ranch, town cut them off from going farther... It was a good thing for we hunters, but having that wall all up and down the area, would be a very bad thing for wildlife in restricting their natural movements.

Comment

I used to work the border from Brownsville to Laredo and the farmers and ranchers had small shacks with provisions for migrant workers - HAD - Once the illegal immigrants from south of Mexico started coming in they would stop at the little shacks and then look for the big house and once they found it....

No matter what the impact I say build the wall

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          There's very little that you post on here that I agree with, but on this one, you're spot on. I had a ranch that I leased for 31 years that had over 8 miles of Rio Grande River frontage south of Del Rio. Back when "W" was president, the various agencies post 911 that were involved with homeland security started a pilot program using some gubment grants and other support in the "Del Rio sector" of the Rio Grande called "Zero-Tolerance". Val Verde county with the assistance from these grants built a brand spankin' new jail similar to what Sheriff Joe did out in Arizona. It was cinder block buildings high fences with razor wire, etc. Everyone caught crossing the border was prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for not only illegally crossing the border, but they did complete background checks on them and threw the book at 'em and locked 'em up. The very minimum time they spent in this lock up was 6 months. Border crossings in the 8 mile section we had in this sector went from thousands/month to less than 10/month...

If you build the wall and you don't patrol it and watch it with various technologies, it will just be climbed or tunneled under... so it still takes the manpower to do that. If you're gonna do that, you don't need the wall. What is needed is enforce the dang laws we have now!

Further to the wildlife, the problem with the area where we hunted, and where the main ranch headquarters had large farming operations right on the river is that the proposed wall route put much of the river valley on the MEXICO side of the wall!! Where I hunted would be on the wrong side of the wall, and it was thousands of acres. The proposal was to put "gates" or portals in it to allow for passage of workers/tractors/equipment, etc... with NO regard for wildlife. Wildlife indeed migrates up and down the river. Our property was just south of the city of Del Rio and our deer/turkey/exotic population was much higher than the lower part of the ranch because once wildlife got to that part of the ranch, town cut them off from going farther... It was a good thing for we hunters, but having that wall all up and down the area, would be a very bad thing for wildlife in restricting their natural movements.
          Fully agree. If the wall is built they need to have wildlife corridors like they do in Colorado along I70.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
            The wall won't get built, and it doesn't need to.

We need to start prosecuting people who use illegals. That means go to Home Depot, watch the workers get picked up, stop that truck, and make sure everything is legal. Make the temp visa program more accessible like it was under Obama. Then enforce laws already on the book; if they overstay, they get sent home, and are not allowed back for a certain period of time. If they are found here illegally a second time, they get locked up for a certain amount of time.

Once you have stopped the flow stemming from coming here for work, go after criminals running drugs and trafficking people. This can be done with our military, and we can bring them home from battling those sand diggers in the middle east, and let our boys sleep on their home turf.

The wall doesn't need to be built, and shouldn't be built. Enforcement of current laws would go a lot further compared to a wall being built. A wall being built would impact who knows how many thousands of species and people.

All that sounds great in theory but that ship sailed long ago. None of the current crop of crooks in Washington (and I’m sure plenty more at the state level) have NO WILL to enforce the laws we already have. So hard barriers have to be a secondary solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
              So no one thinks it would affect the new Bighorn sheep that have been introduced? I sure would love for us to have a good huntable population
              Have you seen where they live? How do you think they’ll build a wall there?

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                I've had a civil discussion with Ben about this subject. I confronted him on the fact he uses Big Bend area as a scare tactic regarding the border wall yet there would never be a wall in that area as it is not a passage point for illegals. He didn't want to discuss that and pointed out that they could decide to put the wall thru that area at a later date. I agreed and said when that discussion happens let's visit the issues regarding that. Until then let's just discuss what IS being done now.
                If it is the only area without a wall they will travel through there. look at Nogales, AZ. Worst territory in the country. They still travel through that area like crazy. Nothing will stop the will of those people.

Personally I think the only animals that would suffer would be the sheep and the black bears that come up during the droughts. And yes, they do cross the river and come up into S. Texas.
                Last edited by captainsling; 05-31-2018, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Improbable maybe but impossible? The Chinese did it hundreds of years ago and with no modern technology.

Comment

The main ingredient in any "wall" should start with E-verify. No social or welfare for ANY illegal or Visa overstays.

Shut off the magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      Have you seen where they live? How do you think they’ll build a wall there?
                      No I haven't. That's why I stated in my post that I'm not arguing for or against, because I have no idea. I have never seen it

Comment

Let me get this straight.

We build a wall, and every livestock disease we have been fighting from border crossings virtual becomes eliminated......

BVD and variants
                        Tick Fever/Babesiois
                        TB
                        Etc.

No agruement, build it.

Comment

Originally posted by JFISHER View Post
                          The main ingredient in any "wall" should start with E-verify. No social or welfare for ANY illegal or Visa overstays.

Shut off the magnet.
                          This, and throwing people who knowingly employ illegals in the pen.

Artificial barriers are bad for wildlife. That’s a fact. High fences, border walls, etc. all impede the natural movement of wildlife and that’s not a positive for ecosystems.

Comment

Eminent Domain proceedings alone will outlast Trump's presidency even if he is elected to two terms. The wall isn't happening in rural areas. More manpower is needed in rural areas... and Mexico needs more "incentives" to clog the permeability of THEIR borders. As Mexico's economy improves, Their lack of border security will be just as much a burden to them, as our lack of border security has been to us... because central americans will be stopping in Mexico instead of traveling to the US... in fact, they already are.

Comment

We hunt south of Brownsville every year, like on the Rio Grande south. There is already a wall there, it creates choke points for the BP to focus on. There are also people carrying very large backpacks, which will get you blood pressure going, as well as the white Tahoes.

As far as I could tell the current wall has not effected the white wing doves, the Eurasian doves, or the morning doves.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                                Mother Nature finds a away. Don't need a continuous wall. Just strategically placed walls where needed.
                                Which is what the plan is or that is what I understood it to be.
                                If we didn't have the anchor baby policy, sanctuary cities and free social programs and handouts we wouldn't have the problems with illegal immigrants tothe degree that we do imo.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X