Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Do calls even work??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do calls even work??

Here’s a newbie question. Do deer calls ever work? I have a grunt call and the Primos estrus can, but I haven’t tried enough to see if they work. Any good stories or advice??

I called in the buck in my avatar with a doe bleat can. That's the one and only time it's ever worked.

Comment

Pre rut and rut the grunt tube works like a champ. I will give 3-4 deep grunts every 15-30 minutes.

Comment

Rattling horns seem to do best
        Grunt tubes have worked for if everything was just right-but the deer decide when that is
        I have called up a coyote with the primos bleat can
        I think deer calls are only effective during very tight windows during various phases of the rut, but that's just my opinion on the matter, others with more experience may know the elusive secret to deer calls.

Comment

Yes if used corretly. As with other calls don't call frequently unless you are useing a fawn distress call. Black w that sucker loud and a lot and watch the does come running.

Good luck

Comment

Grunt tubes can be fire. Was really upset when I realized I forgot mine this morning

Comment

I can't ever recall calling in a deer with a grunt call in blindly. But, if I see a buck, 9 out of the 10 times, I can get it into bow range with a couple of grunts.
              I think a lot depends on the deer in the area. For example, where I hunt in east Tx., the deer there are not vocal. Never been able to rattle one in. They pay no mind to the can. Only some grunt calls have I ever had one come in after I spotted it.
              Then, on the other hand where I hunt in Kansas, rattling works great, grunting works great and my favorite on a big ole bruiser is the snort wheeze. I have called in several with that.

Comment

I've called in several with the bleat can.

Comment

Absolutely

Grunt call always helps with horns ive noticed

Comment

I think they do. I can recall several hunts where I hit the call a bit, and had a deer come investigate.

Comment

All calls will work if used at the right time. I like to rattle and it works the best for. Grunt tube works really well under the right conditions. It will work when rattling won't on some occasions. I used a grunt tube to get 8 different bucks in front of me in a 30 minute period when nothing would repsond to rattling for 2 days.

Comment

Rattled in countless
                        Grunted lots
                        Never had a deer that I could give credit to the can call. If I have to lighten my pack it's the first to go

Comment

Rattling definitely works.

Comment

They all work when used at the right times on in the right place. I've had very little success calling at feeders so I don't do it at feeders any more.

Comment

Working...
                            X