Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rookie Rita Blanca Pronghorn tag holder

Howdy all,

New member here; enthusiastic to be part of the group and hoping to resource some of your experience in/around the Rita Blanca Grasslands.

Background: I am originally from Houston and grew up hunting in the San Saba area, but have been gallivanting around the globe as an active duty Marine and gone from TX for the better part of 15 years now. Earlier this summer, I thought I was moving back to TX prior to hunting season and I conducted a crash course/self-education on the TPWD draw system, ultimately applying for about 25 hunts as the San Saba opportunities of my childhood are no more. It turns out that my orders have been delayed and I won't move until around Christmas. However, as a first time applicant, I drew one of the 12 Rita Blanca pronghorn tags this year on the second draw.

I will be making the drive from the Kansas City area. I know I am incredibly fortunate and I am prepared to accept your spears and jeers, deservedly. For those of you who are wondering, I did pick up a few powerball tickets after notification from TPWD but I am not related to the lady that won the ~$750 million jackpot a few weeks ago.

So, I will proceed southwest to erect my tent camp there near Texline on 28 September for a dedicated Friday of scouting before the opener on Saturday. I have leave approved for the entire week through 8 October as required. I will have my truck, rifle, binos/spotting scope and a seasoned pack plus boot leather to expend. What I do not have is any experience with pronghorn, the Rita Blanca, or hunting in that region of the state at all. I am excited to learn solo, but also want to make the most out of this incredible opportunity.

I am humbly requesting any gracious contributions from members with experience in any of the above, particularly recommendations on where to start/focus in the massive expanse of huntable area in Rita Blanca. Also, is anyone familiar with a better map than the 8-1/2 x 11" PDF that is provided?

Thanks all,

Hank

Welcome to the fire.
    Do you know Keegles?

Comment

Thank you.

Is Keegles a person? No, I do not know Keegles.

-Hank

Comment

As far as hunting Pronghorn, binos and boots are your two best friends. I'd get real comfy with shots out to 300 yards as well. You may not need to shoot that far, but then again, you might and you better be practiced and prepared for it. As for judging size, if that's important, try and find one with the "prong" that is higher up than the top of the ear tips for starters.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
          As far as hunting Pronghorn, binos and boots are your two best friends. I'd get real comfy with shots out to 300 yards as well. You may not need to shoot that far, but then again, you might and you better be practiced and prepared for it. As for judging size, if that's important, try and find one with the "prong" that is higher up than the top of the ear tips for starters.
          He's an active duty Marine, I'm certain he's comfortable at that distance. Semper Fi and good luck brother

Comment

Originally posted by HankH View Post
            Thank you.

Is Keegles a person? No, I do not know Keegles.

-Hank
            Keegles is THE person.
            Thought everyone in Kansas knew keegles.. he's not San Saba though.

Comment

Congrats on the draw and good luck!

Comment

I have a really good friend and his wife who got drawn also. He is no antelope expert but knows his way around killing some critters. I will tell him to contact you thru here. Always good to have contacts when in those hunt situations. Yall can compare notes.

Comment

I just completed my first pronghorn hunt in New Mexico last week. Here is my advice with the little experience I have. Have some good glass with you, at least a pair of good binoculars. Having a good spotting scope in the truck is not a bad idea also if you plan on scouting out multiple bucks and deciding which one to go after. You will most likely be spotting them from very long distances. Pronghorn have some of the best eyesight in the world so don't expect to remain hidden from them. Use the terrain to your advantage (allowing them to disappear into a saddle before closing the distance, etc). Also, be patient when stalking. Their good eyesight also makes them very curious animals. On my hunt, I was at 350 yds, and wanted to get closer but I was patient. When my buck locked onto me, he actually walked 150 straight at me trying to figure out what I was. I ended up taking him around 200 yds. I learned that they are very inconsistent in their behavior as well. One second they will see a truck and run, and other times you can drive right by them without them moving. Also, keep a good eye out for pronghorns that are bedded down next to some cover. Just because you don't see any goats for the next half mile around you, that doesn't mean that a buck won't stand up and appear when you get closer to him. If you see a doe by herself, there is a decent chance there is a buck laying down somewhere around her since they are rutting now. Good luck!!

Comment

Welcome to the Green Screen, and good luck with your hunt. I only wish I could give you some advice.

Comment

I'd recommend you take some shooting sticks as well. Try to locate water holes. You don't have to just sit next to a water hole all day like you might want to do if you were bowhunting. But they're going to want a drink every day, so hunt within a mile of water as much as you can. They will let you get within the longer end of rifle range before spooking usually, but if you get within their comfort zone, they'll run. You shouldn't have much trouble seeing antelope and getting a shot opportunity or two with a rifle. The biggest challenge is field judging and trying to decide to take the shot or not.

Look for horns that have the prongs higher up than the ear tips, as stated above. Look for tips that curve back down toward the head (adds length). Look for wide bases (from the side view) and thick hooks above the prong. Look for prongs that stick out and appear to be at least as long as the base is wide. All of that adds up on the score, if that matters to you.

Other than that, just find a buck that trips your trigger and knock him down! Good luck! Post pics and stories. I've got 22 preference points for that hunt. Someday I'm gonna draw it too, I hope.

Comment

Welcome! Good luck! And be sure to do a Live Thread!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on drawing. If I remember right last year was a 98% success rate? Shouldn't be too much trouble killing one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Welcome to the fire and good luck!
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                              X