heat on bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heat on bow

Hi all new guy here with a question. I just recently bought a bow and feverishly back and forth to the range to practice ok, well in the haste of life things do tend to get in the way of practice and I tend to leave my bow in the vehicle under lock and key mind you but my question is with this heat wave that is upon us does that affect my bow at all? Thanks and any suggestions very welcomed

I would not leave it in the vehicle when temps hit the 90's or higher. It MIGHT be OK but it is not worth the risk. Those limbs under constant load in this heat is a recipe for delamination. I keep my bows in the garage until June, then they go in a closet inside.

Comment

Agree with Jerp, exposure to extreme heat may not "show" a problem with de-lamination, until it's past the point of no return. meaning, it will show during the draw back or release.

i take my bows (and carbon arrows) inside (when i go to work) when i'm going to be shooting after work. I don't leave them inside a confined hot box.... outdoor heat, direct sunlight etc-->yes, they get hot, but 8 hours of 125+ i don't want to risk...

edit... check your mfg of your bow on how their limbs are made. solid limbs may not be a problem. layered limbs will be. (IE: Barnsdale multi-layer limbs)
      Last edited by wassaw; 06-23-2012, 03:29 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend it either. Heat can do some damage over time. Store it inside and you should have no worries then.

Comment

Heat + Bow= Bad Things
          Heat can also cause the string to stretch. Better to not leave bows, dogs, or babies in a hot car!

Comment

Don't do it

Comment

Originally posted by SMOOTHboar View Post
              Heat + Bow= Bad Things
              Heat can also cause the string to stretch. Better to not leave bows, dogs, or babies in a hot car!
              thanks fella for the info especially this week

Comment

Originally posted by 11cBowhunter View Post
                thanks fella for the info especially this week
                It's gonna get hotter too bro. Glad to hear that you are feeding the passion.

Comment

Keep it inside until you use it.

Comment

think of it as a child are pet. it cant take the heat in a car.

Comment

When I went to the pro shop to purchase my first bow, the last thing the lady behind the counter said was: the bow sleeps where you sleep. Meaning in the climate controlled environment. Wife wasn't too happy about that, being in the hard case takes up a lot of space.

Comment

I kept my bow in the attic for three years and never had problem with it. After reading threads on here I keep my new Bowtech in the closet next to my jeans. I wouldn't risk it!

Comment

I know a guy who got warped limbs for his trouble.

Comment

Working...
                          X