What to do with an old dog??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with an old dog??

My mother in law is a small (~80 lbs), frail little old lady in her 80s. Her husband died last year, and she was left with Rocky, his old Pyrenees. She just can't handle the dog, he's too big, over 90 lbs. He wanders off or starts eating something he shouldn't and just ignores her. He throws up in the house (from eating crap), and has to get up at 2 a.m. to pee. Problem is, Rocky is old. He's at least 12, maybe 13 or 14. He has arthritis and walks very slowly, stopping about every 25 yards to rest. He can BARELY make it up the porch steps.

Of course, rescue/adoption groups won't touch a dog like that because it's not "adoptable." Rocky is a very sweet, lazy old fellow that just wants to lay in the living room and take naps. Meanwhile, my MIL is reaching her wit's end. Is it remotely possible to find some kind-hearted person would could give Rocky a place to peacefully live out his final days?

Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

How about your living room???'

Comment

Hmm that's a tough one.

Comment

Sorry man, sounds like Rocky needs to "go to a Family in the country".

Comment

Man, I know its tough. Ive euthanized many pets with my 22. Ive always buried them and been respectful, but its also a part of having pets. Which is one reason why I dont have pets anymore.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
            Sorry man, sounds like Rocky needs to "go to a Family in the country".
            It's that time. Even though I know that's not what you want to hear.

Comment

I absolutely loved my 14 year old Golden who fetched many a bird. When I put him down, I cried like a baby. I knew it was time, he couldn't get up off the floor and was pooping himself. It had to be done. To not do it is selfish.

Comment

10 cent fix

Comment

Yep, it's time.

Comment

I'm kind of with the "get rid of" group. If she has no attachment to it, and you don't have enough of an attachment to it to take him in as your own, just go ahead and put him down. A lot of dogs don't reach age 10+ anyway, so....

Comment

Easy answer. Tough choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ugh.... I hate it when this time comes.

Comment

either you take him in or put him down - done it several times and I remember each one like it was a family member - but it was the right thing to do

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                            Easy answer. Tough choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Very well put.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                              Ugh.... I hate it when this time comes.
                              Yep...same here. I'm close to having to go this route with one of our's.

Comment

Working...
                              X