Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-25-2019, 09:15 PM   #1
FireNguns
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson County
Question Dalmatian dogs?

Looking for some opinion on Dalmatian dogs.
We lost out lab of 13 years and my wife is interested in getting a Dalmatian next. I am a big labrador fan but being a fireman, I have always thought it would be neat to have a Dalmatian.
Hoping to hear some opinions on training, behavior, temperament, etc.
We have 5 and 3 year old daughters, so we want a good fit for the family.
FireNguns is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2019, 09:21 PM   #2
Walker
Ten Point

I had a female years ago. Never saw a more loyal and protective dog but she was testy around kids. I didnt have any kids so I cant say how she would have been with kids in her family
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2019, 09:22 PM   #3
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I had one early in college because I thought it would be cool. Did not like strangers or anyone besides me and my roomate who lived in the house. As he got older the meaner he got and he began to snap at folks. Did not like him around friends and kids that came by. Gave him to a guy who lived out in the country at age 4. Said I would never get another one and have not. I've been a lab guy ever since. Labs have personalities, they are lovable, they are working dogs with a purpose.....they are pleasers. None of which my dalmation was.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2019, 09:27 PM   #4
WTucker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Votaw, Anywhere else I can.

I think they are cool dogs, but I have heard they can be pretty aggressive. Also, when I was a kid the couple that ran a deer lease we were on had one. He was mean and everyone knew to stay away from him especially kids. That said, like any dog I’m sure if they are raised and socialized good they can be okay.
WTucker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2019, 09:33 PM   #5
Hawkpuppy 1
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Texas

Can be aggressive to others, typically have a decent bit of health issues, mostly skin/coat
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2019, 09:43 PM   #6
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land

I had one in college at SFA. Zero was known all over campus. He would follow me to class and sit by the door waiting until I came out.

It took a few days to train him to not be distracted by other students. He was a great dog with a good temperament.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2019, 09:48 PM   #7
BigFoot
Pope & Young

Hunt In: La Vernia, Hidalgo County

I had one for about a month (gave her to the local fire dept).

I wasnít a fan of her personality, she had a lot of dander, and wasnít the friendliest to small people/kids. Iíll stick to my German Shepherds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2019, 10:09 PM   #8
Bowdark
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas swamps to Teton County

Had a Dalmation Heeler cross. He was really good natured and loved the woods, birds, pigs, etc. Skin problems tore him up. He was a good dog and very loyal. Sneaky as the devil, though (that was the heeler side).
Bowdark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2019, 10:28 PM   #9
tmurray
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Had a friend as a kid growing up that had a male and a female and they had to be locked up anytime someone came over including me. Meanest dogs I ever saw.
tmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2019, 10:52 PM   #10
Trevor73402
Eight Point

I’m sure some will disagree, but it’s all in how you socialize them as a pup and continue on thru their first year. I have a 160 pound male Presa Canario, known by most as “man eaters” and banned in many countries across the world. He was fully obedience trained by 6 months. I started socializing him the day I brought him home. He is know 2.5 years old. He goes to the nursing home with me to visit my grandma all the time. He’s been to the Veterans Center. Anyone can pet him, but he is protective of me as far as he never takes his eyes off me and always stays between me and whoever else is around.

My point in saying this is, any breed can be mean/aggressive. Any breed can be gentle/nice to all. You as the owner are responsible for how they turn out. If you don’t work with them and just let them decide how they want to be on their own.....well it’s a crap shoot. Cocker Spaniels have disfigured more kids faces than just about any other breed.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2019, 10:58 PM   #11
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

My best friend had one growing up. It was a mean *** dog and would try to bite everyone that didn't live there.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2019, 11:15 PM   #12
sailor
Pope & Young

Cannot be trusted...…
don't do it......
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2019, 11:22 PM   #13
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

If it wasn't for Budweiser commercials those dogs would be hated like pit bulls.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2019, 11:38 PM   #14
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Kinney County

I had one for a few years- from a puppy to ~2-3 yo.
It was the least smart (to put it nicely) dog I ever owned.

I gave it to a wrecker shop and it became their yard dog until it played in traffic one too many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2019, 11:54 PM   #15
beardedtexan
Four Point

I grew up having a Dalmatian my entire life and will always have at least one. I have two right now. One is around 10 years old and the other is 3 and they're awesome dogs. I've never had a problem out of them besides the shedding. It can get bad at times. My grandparents have four and they're the same way. My grandparents own a fire museum and constantly have strangers at their place and have never had one issue with them being aggressive in any way. My grandparents are actually looking for a male to breed one of their dogs now. If anyone has a male that'd be interested in breeding pm me. He's located in Waller.
beardedtexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 12:43 AM   #16
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

An old neighbor of mine had a beautiful Dalmatian. It loved adults but it would not tolerate children.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 04:46 AM   #17
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
Iím sure some will disagree, but itís all in how you socialize them as a pup and continue on thru their first year. I have a 160 pound male Presa Canario, known by most as ďman eatersĒ and banned in many countries across the world. He was fully obedience trained by 6 months. I started socializing him the day I brought him home. He is know 2.5 years old. He goes to the nursing home with me to visit my grandma all the time. Heís been to the Veterans Center. Anyone can pet him, but he is protective of me as far as he never takes his eyes off me and always stays between me and whoever else is around.

My point in saying this is, any breed can be mean/aggressive. Any breed can be gentle/nice to all. You as the owner are responsible for how they turn out. If you donít work with them and just let them decide how they want to be on their own.....well itís a crap shoot. Cocker Spaniels have disfigured more kids faces than just about any other breed.

I have to agree, itís socialization, training, knowing the breeds requirements and establishing leadership.
Maybe some of the comments about Dalmatians being mean and not good with kids is actually that they have been put in a yard without the physical and mental exercise required of the breed? Maybe the bad with small kids is actually pent up energy..... either way, most ďbadĒ dogs behaviors are a direct result of the owner not doing his part. IMO
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 06:11 AM   #18
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Dalmatian dogs?

My dog was socialized. He was good at first and went south as he got older. All my dogs are socialized and obedience trained. My working labs went through more extensive training than 99.9% of the biscuit eating socialized yard runners so I understand the concepts and needs.

Socializing dogs and obedience training is nothing new. Bad owners making bad dogs is nothing new either. But some breeds of dogs just arenít meant to be family dogs... sure there are some outliers and some ďoh yeah my dog wouldnít hurt a flyĒ owners but as a whole through the years I have heard more bad about Dalmatians than good and itís not close. This thread pretty much follows the trend.

Last edited by Smart; 02-26-2019 at 06:32 AM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 06:23 AM   #19
armadillophil
Ten Point

Brother had one years ago. Not a social dog. I think I’d rather have a pit
armadillophil is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 06:29 AM   #20
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Like others. We had one. He was not even close to the sharpest dog. He als was not nice
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 06:42 AM   #21
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Gaines

Had one growing up. She had brown spots rather than black. She was sweet, extremely high strung and a ton of energy. Like others have said, they are not the smartest dogs, but very loyal. I never saw aggression from her towards strangers, but Iíve seen other Dalmatians that were not family friendly at all.
Tx.Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 07:08 AM   #22
ktjones
Six Point

Hunt In: Centerville

Our Dalmatian was fiercely protective. He would protect "his" family, as well as the other 9 houses on our culdesac we grew up in. He knew the cars / trucks, etc. Over the course of his life, he bit three people that "did not belong". When we let him out, we had to muzzle him. Fiercely loyal, but not good around others. My $.02. KJ
ktjones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 07:15 AM   #23
GoneSouth
Six Point

Dalmatians do not make good pets. They were originally bred as guard dogs believe it or not. Not attack dogs, guard dogs.
GoneSouth is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 07:29 AM   #24
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Ours actually came from my brothers firehouse. Got him as a pup and brother took him there. Always around people and spoiled. He did not like outsiders. Of course we got him when he couldn’t be at firehouse. I liked him. He just didn’t like other people
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 07:34 AM   #25
txtradesman
Ten Point

Saw on the news feed this morning that a dalmatian had 19 puppies breaking the recent record of 18 in 2009
txtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 07:44 AM   #26
hoghunter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for one

very moody and unpredictable, get another lab
hoghunter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 07:49 AM   #27
zztex
Pope & Young

Make your wife read this thread
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 08:02 AM   #28
cap50948
Four Point

Hunt In: Hemphill, Erath, Leon, Freestone

Had one that was DUMB! Tried all types of way to keep him in. Would dig under the fence so we got a hot wire fence. Then decided he could go over. Once he got out he would not stop running. Spent hours chasing that stupid dog. Was a moody dog also. Would play fine with other people and dogs then would switch in a second. Will never have another.
cap50948 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #29
catslayer
Pope & Young

I've yet to see one I liked personally... I worked in a vet clinic and meet a few.. just overall an ehh breed that blew up with bad breeding's after 101 dalmatians movie...

That said I'm sure ppl love them I just don't have a use for them...

Last edited by catslayer; 02-26-2019 at 08:11 AM.
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #30
catslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
I’m sure some will disagree, but it’s all in how you socialize them as a pup and continue on thru their first year. I have a 160 pound male Presa Canario, known by most as “man eaters” and banned in many countries across the world. He was fully obedience trained by 6 months. I started socializing him the day I brought him home. He is know 2.5 years old. He goes to the nursing home with me to visit my grandma all the time. He’s been to the Veterans Center. Anyone can pet him, but he is protective of me as far as he never takes his eyes off me and always stays between me and whoever else is around.

My point in saying this is, any breed can be mean/aggressive. Any breed can be gentle/nice to all. You as the owner are responsible for how they turn out. If you don’t work with them and just let them decide how they want to be on their own.....well it’s a crap shoot. Cocker Spaniels have disfigured more kids faces than just about any other breed.
I agree that socialization is key and GOOD STRONG training... But I just see no upside to them(damations).

PS I would LOVE to meet your presa... I waant a Corso soooo bad....

If your wife just wants a spotty dog look at the setters, they are beautiful, spotty known to be super friendly... AND LOVE BIRDS!
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 08:19 AM   #31
WinslowBoy
Six Point

Hunt In: Trinity County, TPWD Public Hunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
My dog was socialized. He was good at first and went south as he got older. All my dogs are socialized and obedience trained. My working labs went through more extensive training than 99.9% of the biscuit eating socialized yard runners so I understand the concepts and needs.

Socializing dogs and obedience training is nothing new. Bad owners making bad dogs is nothing new either. But some breeds of dogs just arenít meant to be family dogs... sure there are some outliers and some ďoh yeah my dog wouldnít hurt a flyĒ owners but as a whole through the years I have heard more bad about Dalmatians than good and itís not close. This thread pretty much follows the trend.
Agree with above... had one as a teenager and they take a lot of work. Ours was very hard headed and extremely smart. Tons of obedience work put in with her but she just had a mind of her own, was temperamental (ornery) and DID NOT LIKE strangers of any kind. All my friends knew to avoid our yard if she was outside. Know of several people who got dalmatians because of the Budweiser commercials only to give them up because of issues.

If you get one, just don't expect it to be blindly loyal/friendly like a lab. Different breed.
WinslowBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #32
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

I'm not a fan of Dalmations. They are protective, aggressive and prone to biting not to mention they are frequently deaf. I have some scars on my leg where I was attacked and bitten by a stupid dalmation. They are the opposite of Labradors IMHO.
Outback is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 08:30 AM   #33
cbd10pt
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for new places

They dig huge holes every where
cbd10pt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 08:40 AM   #34
ATX Tyler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Central, TX

My only experience around one was my neighbor's when I was a kid. My brother and I used to take care of their pets whenever they went on trips or vacations as a little "job". The neighbor and their other dogs were cool, but their dalmation was a piece of work. I was always nervous around that dog, and though I never got bitten, I always felt like it was only a matter of time. Sucker was mean.
ATX Tyler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #35
ATX Tyler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Central, TX

If you like spots, you can always just get you a black and white GSP. Mine is horribly stubborn, and eats like a horse, but he's as sweet as can be.
Attached Images

ATX Tyler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #36
Parramore
Eight Point

Hunt In: West Texas

Get a pug and enjoy. Skip the Dalmations.
Parramore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 09:19 AM   #37
txhunter90
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lindale

I believe socialization is key. Some dogs are done from the get go. Everybody and their mom breeding for spots not taking into temperament. If you bought from a reputable breeder I dont see any issues.
txhunter90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #38
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

We got one for my daughters birthday years ago. The absolutely dumbest dog we have ever had!!! Then it got on the chicken killing phase and I was about to shoot it when wife gave it away to cousin.

We have always had border collies and still do.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 11:27 AM   #39
Martin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson County and Oklahoma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
My best friend had one growing up. It was a mean *** dog and would try to bite everyone that didn't live there.
Wasn't my best friend but the dog was the same!
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 11:32 AM   #40
stickman
Pope & Young

Not much good to say about my experience with them. Aggressive and intolerant of children
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #41
FireNguns
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson County

Y’all have confirmed what I thought to be true.
My mind was made up after about the first 5 posts.
She has read this thread and understands why it is not a good idea.
Looks like I will get another Labrador retriever when we are ready.
Thanks for all the input.
FireNguns is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 12:09 PM   #42
frazee3200
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Iím sure some will disagree, but itís all in how you socialize them as a pup and continue on thru their first year. I have a 160 pound male Presa Canario, known by most as ďman eatersĒ and banned in many countries across the world. He was fully obedience trained by 6 months. I started socializing him the day I brought him home. He is know 2.5 years old. He goes to the nursing home with me to visit my grandma all the time. Heís been to the Veterans Center. Anyone can pet him, but he is protective of me as far as he never takes his eyes off me and always stays between me and whoever else is around.

My point in saying this is, any breed can be mean/aggressive. Any breed can be gentle/nice to all. You as the owner are responsible for how they turn out. If you donít work with them and just let them decide how they want to be on their own.....well itís a crap shoot. Cocker Spaniels have disfigured more kids faces than just about any other breed.

Let's see that big ole puppy!!!
frazee3200 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 12:17 PM   #43
RutnBuk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills/Brown county

I was attacked by a dalmatian when I was 10 years old and have never liked them since.
RutnBuk is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 12:20 PM   #44
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurray View Post
Had a friend as a kid growing up that had a male and a female and they had to be locked up anytime someone came over including me. Meanest dogs I ever saw.

My experience as well.

You couldnít pay me to own a Dalmatian or have one around my kids.
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #45
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

I think they’re cool dogs!
Acameron52 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 01:25 PM   #46
Trevor73402
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazee3200 View Post
Let's see that big ole puppy!!!
It’s amazing to see how tiny he was and how big he is now. I have a video of his vet visit last April where he was 150 pounds on the scale. He’s a bit larger now.
Attached Images

Last edited by Trevor73402; 02-26-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 02:07 PM   #47
Cbb1722
Ten Point

Some people need to come to the understanding that dogs are just like any other animal in the animal kingdom. Some breeds are good. Some breeds are bad. Idk nothing about Dalmatians but from the sound of it, they’re worse than pits. I’ve been around a buncha pits That were raised from puppies in a good home and raised what you would consider right. And still turned out mean. Why take the chance of owning a breed that’s known to be mean and have that reputation. From the sounds of it I’d go back with a lab. Or anything other than a Dalmatian from the sounds of it! I just have no sympathy for parents that get breeds to be known as mean and have a kid get bitten. Feel bad for the kid. But the parents are to blame. Just ignorance. Some are good breeds. Some need bullets
Cbb1722 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 02:13 PM   #48
Txprowler
Four Point

Hunt In: Centerville, Tx.

I had a Liver spotted one, he wasn't very smart but never aggressive. We were told by the breeder to feed him a can of pea's every week that it was great for his skin...
Txprowler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 02:20 PM   #49
Tryton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk and Leon counties

My neighbor had a dalmatian that attacked me in my driveway. I was able to grab a box in my garage and fend it off before it went back to it's house. I had become really good friends with the neighbor so that was an awkward conversation. He didn't think the dog had a mean bone in his body until he let it out of his backyard as a test. The dog attacked me again and he was stunned and embarrassed. He was good about keeping the dog contained so all was ok.
Tryton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #50
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

I had a liver spotted one when I was in high school. Was the stupidest and meanest dog I have had . He bit me one to many times and got put down .
Strummer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top