X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You’re only allowed one gar ?

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
      I have no problem with bowfishing or bowfishing for alligator gar. I bow fished for years and shot some big alligator gar.

I do think it's best for the species to put some restrictions on their harvest. Be it a tag system, no harvest during the night, or what I think would be the best solution for their long term health of the population is no harvesting during spawning season.

If you want to shoot all the spotted, longnose, shortnose gar during spawning season, along with carp, buffalo and other rough fish I am perfectly fine with that. This isn't a bowfishing bash, just a concerned angler for the long term health of an awesome fish that I think we could do a better job of balancing their harvest and long term preservation of their population.
      X2. Said it better than I would have.

I'll add I do also have a problem with pulling up to launch the boat in the morning to have a dozen dead rotting gator gar floating all around the ramp with holes through them.

Comment

I’m opposed to any government authority dictating my God given right to the authority I was given as man over animals.

You cannot be a Christian and support anything against the Bible.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
          I’m opposed to any government authority dictating my God given right to the authority I was given as man over animals.

If there wasn't some regulations in place we wouldn't have any animals. Sounds like this subject may be best posted in the Politics forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post

I hope there is some sarcasm in this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              I can't answer your question, but when did TPWD pay any attention to science ? If they did, the shooting of spike bucks would cease. Lots of good guys and gals in the ranks, but the commission itself is a payoff position for the most part. Good ole boy stuff.
              Unfortunately I think this is spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by stoic View Post
                I hope there is some sarcasm in this post.
                I’m going out on a limb and say....no

Comment

TP&W is a joke, their management of the Coastal Fisheries is a joke

Comment

Another issue I seen was there “studies” were in a very small area compared to the area lots of numbers of gar are. They did the lower trinity and not so much the upper or the Brazos, Sabine, and major creeks that are full of them. I mean regulate or put a stop in those area the numbers are declining due to public access but not ALL of it. I like the 1 gator gar per day which science has shown to substain populations or use a tag system but not completely do away with it. I think it will eventually hurt the population of that happens.

Comment

Here’s some info....

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission has taken the pole position in cinching the noose tighter on already restrictive alligator gar harvest...

Comment

Sure hope GarGuy chimes in on this subject. He is absolutely one of the most knowledgeable people in this state on the habitat, habits and life cycle of the alligator gar. He has participated in many studies and fought hard to convince the commission based on science what regulation was sensible. I went to the meetings, heard the testimonies when the banning of commercial fishing and harvest limits were established... pretty much no real science was used in making the decisions about the regulations put into place. Most of the studies the TPWD Commission and committee used were based on watersheds in the Ohio, Missouri and other Northeastern rivers. NO data from the Trinity, Neches, Sabine or other Texas watersheds was used. Had it been used, the data would have not supported their regulations... Our current Commission is corrupt and a total scam! They are solely political pawns... I mean look what they did to bow hunting regulations several years back... When it was suggested that they look at reducing the peak draw weight allowed to hunt deer with a bow because of the improved technology and efficiency of today's modern bows... What did they do? The totally eliminated ALL poundage requirements of poundage and energy generation potential!! You could legally take a Mathews Genesis out and shoot a deer with it!! How dang stupid is that... And because certain politicians at the time had family members that couldn't draw a 40 pound bow.... Further because family members couldn't shoot a bow, they just made it legal to use a crossbow for deer during "archery" season!

These gator gar regulations are being driven by a small number of revenue generating guides who get big bucks from city slickers, many from the East and Midwest to come "catch a dinosaur"... And BASS is in full support of any effort to attach bowfishing...

Comment

SWS, not to mention the broadhead regs were adjusted to include just about anything that resembles a broadhead.

Projectiles (Arrows and Crossbow Bolts)
                          While hunting game animals and game birds, a projectile may not be poisoned, drugged, or explosive.

When used to hunt turkey and all game animals other than squirrels, a projectile must be equipped with a broadhead hunting point. An archer may have arrows/bolts with field, target, or judo points in the quiver with the broadhead hunting points.
                          There are no restrictions or minimum requirements on arrow or bolt lengths, arrow material, arrow weight, lighted nocks, broadhead lengths or diameter, number of cutting edges, broadhead material, or mechanical broadheads.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            Sure hope GarGuy chimes in on this subject. He is absolutely one of the most knowledgeable people in this state on the habitat, habits and life cycle of the alligator gar. He has participated in many studies and fought hard to convince the commission based on science what regulation was sensible. I went to the meetings, heard the testimonies when the banning of commercial fishing and harvest limits were established... pretty much no real science was used in making the decisions about the regulations put into place. Most of the studies the TPWD Commission and committee used were based on watersheds in the Ohio, Missouri and other Northeastern rivers. NO data from the Trinity, Neches, Sabine or other Texas watersheds was used. Had it been used, the data would have not supported their regulations... Our current Commission is corrupt and a total scam! They are solely political pawns... I mean look what they did to bow hunting regulations several years back... When it was suggested that they look at reducing the peak draw weight allowed to hunt deer with a bow because of the improved technology and efficiency of today's modern bows... What did they do? The totally eliminated ALL poundage requirements of poundage and energy generation potential!! You could legally take a Mathews Genesis out and shoot a deer with it!! How dang stupid is that... And because certain politicians at the time had family members that couldn't draw a 40 pound bow.... Further because family members couldn't shoot a bow, they just made it legal to use a crossbow for deer during "archery" season!

These gator gar regulations are being driven by a small number of revenue generating guides who get big bucks from city slickers, many from the East and Midwest to come "catch a dinosaur"... And BASS is in full support of any effort to attach bowfishing...
                            Lots of misinformation

Comment

Title says it is proposed to ban NIGHT bowfishing for GG. Did yall miss that? I saw no one discuss the night aspect so i am guessing so. I feel like a large majority of GG bowfishing is done in the daylight. It is a whole diff ball game than targeting other species, in my experience. Anything besides spawning carp and GG, id prefer to do at night.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                                I’ve always been curious how gar fishing works as I’ve never been and therefore ignorant on the subject. Do you have to wait for them to swallow the bait before setting the hook? Seems like their mouth would be way to tough to hook them there?

Big fan of bowfishing here
                                Caught a few on Somerville with CS on fly rods, but when we’ve caught them on live bait you just let them run with it for awhile then set the hell out of the hook.

Comment

Working...
                                X