No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last year I wore Solomon Quest 4Ds while hunting in unit 82. Really liked them and will most likely wear them again this year.

This next season I'm looking at hunting the Lizard Head Wilderness. I kind of have a plan of attack, but if anybody has hunted that area before that wouldn't mind sharing their experience on here or in PMs I'd appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
      Headed west to elk hunt for the first time this year, just going to go with OTC Archery Colorado.

Started workouts at the beginning of the year and finally got my pack in so I was able to go on a good hike this past weekend. Carried 50 pounds for 6 miles and was feeling pretty good. Planning on adding 5 pounds every couple weeks. How do you guys best prepare for the slopes that are encountered that cant really be recreated here in Texas?

Also, does anyone have any experience in the Unit 421/521 area? Found a few areas that look good but I know these units are heavily hunted and just wanted to know other experience in the area regarding how many other hunters you had to deal with as well as how ATV usage in the areas affected you hunting, if at all.

I was in your shoes and now have a few years of experience with drastically different hunting trips. The first year I hiked around 60 miles in 8 days, up and down and all around. We packed in 3.5 miles with about 55lb or so packs. After that, your only carrying 10lbs or less and worst case spending the entire day hiking 10 miles or less. Being able to walk 5 miles with 50-60lbs at a decent pace gets you pretty much there. More improvement would be to really concentrate on the upper leg muscles you will be using, such as hiking bleachers or an elliptical machine. This is not critical, but reduces the burn in your legs when you decide to go straight up and over or down a mountain fast. I did not prepare much the first year on this, and it really wasn't all bad. There were a few climbs that got the muscles burning, but my lungs needed a break first. Like others have said, the altitude is hard to prepare for, no matter what it will take you a day or two to acclimate, so prepare to get there early if possible and the first day of actual hunting will be easier. Working the lungs out with wind sprints or a hard mile run will definitely help.

Havnt hunted those areas.

Comment

Anybody get a refund yet from Wyoming???

Comment

The NM draw is taking too long to get here...

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
            Anybody get a refund yet from Wyoming???
            Tomorrow the 22 at 10am.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
              Headed west to elk hunt for the first time this year, just going to go with OTC Archery Colorado.

Started workouts at the beginning of the year and finally got my pack in so I was able to go on a good hike this past weekend. Carried 50 pounds for 6 miles and was feeling pretty good. Planning on adding 5 pounds every couple weeks. How do you guys best prepare for the slopes that are encountered that cant really be recreated here in Texas?

Also, does anyone have any experience in the Unit 421/521 area? Found a few areas that look good but I know these units are heavily hunted and just wanted to know other experience in the area regarding how many other hunters you had to deal with as well as how ATV usage in the areas affected you hunting, if at all.
              Don’t over think it but at 40-50lbs and 6miles I wouldn’t worry about more weight,
              I try to beat my legs down 4 days in a row. Then three days off. Wear your boots and make sure you get your feet and ankles in shape by not just walking on concrete. It’s not always about strength but recovery ability.

My current schedule-
              Sun- 5.75 mile 55lb ruck
              Monday -no weight, 48stories skipping every other stair
              Tuesday-squats, straight leg dead lifts, heavy core work
              Wednesday- I do either stairs, stair master or elliptical for at least 45min
              Thursday and Friday are shoulder, chest, Back and arms.

Once I get closer to season I will switch over to the Atomic athletes UP program. More tire pulls and cardio capacity training. Its way and above what you need or what’s required, I put in for lot of Mtn Goat Tags and sheep tags and I’m on a few cancellation lists so I try to stay above my average shape so I don’t waste my money
              Last edited by Texans42; 02-21-2018, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
                The NM draw is taking too long to get here...
                Not that long till the draw. I have 4 putting in on my hunt. This is the first year in 20+ years I am not putting in.

Comment

Drew my WY tag!!! Time to scheme now.

Comment

8pts In Wy now

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                      Drew my WY tag!!! Time to scheme now.
                      Same here. Lots of planning to do

Comment

Anybody know when the Arizona draw results go up!?

Comment

Originally posted by TGoody View Post
                          March 27

Comment

Originally posted by TGoody View Post

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                            March 27

It varies from year to year and they never tell you EXACTLY when it will be. I’d start watching my credit card sometime the week of March 26-30 but wouldn’t expect to see it on your account until the next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Neano View Post
                              Last year I wore Solomon Quest 4Ds while hunting in unit 82. Really liked them and will most likely wear them again this year.

This next season I'm looking at hunting the Lizard Head Wilderness. I kind of have a plan of attack, but if anybody has hunted that area before that wouldn't mind sharing their experience on here or in PMs I'd appreciate it.
                              Which side of the Lizard Head Wilderness were you interested in? Unit 71 or 70? I only have experience in 70, and can say it has gotten very quiet there the past 4 or 5 years as far as elk. Increased pressure I think has played somewhat into the mix.

Comment

Arizona's due date was really early this year..

I would expect them to start hitting cards as early as this weekend..

Comment

Working...
                                X