The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
    You will be west of where we were. Country should be pretty similar. All the bulls were in bachelor groups. They moved a few hours in the morning and evening. We hunted during the super moon so it was extremely bright at night. If you can find water in the thickest most remote places you will have elk. They don't move much and were in the same area day after day. We got within a couple hundred yards but couldn't close the deal. It was so thick and rough we couldn't get any closer. We packed in a few nights and you could hear them walking around by us. We had a good bull right underneath us at 70 yds and couldn't even see it. We could hear but never saw it. Then when we hiked out another hunter was watching the whole thing and told us it was a good bull. We saw a total of 18 bulls. We hunted mainly the manzanita, scrub brush, cat claw areas which is about in the middle of the unit. The northern part was mostly dark timber pine. Take a 4 wheeler if you have it. It will help you cover some area, then get out and hike. All the elk we saw you couldn't see from a truck.
    Awesome intel, thanks! I have a 4 seater ranger that I can use. I will take a trip out there this summer, just to get a lay of the land. I have tons of Backcountry gear and may do my own version of bivy hunting in the nasty stuff. Huge elk, big elk, little elk, I don't much care. I like adventure. This will more than likely be a solo hunt anyway, lots of quiet time with His creation with a tag in my pocket is heaven on earth for me. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
      It doesn't matter where or when I draw a tag. Im gonna be ready!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      You doing Train to Hunt again this year???

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
        You doing Train to Hunt again this year???

Planning on it. Haven't register yet tho

Comment

Unit 53 and 711 DIY Elk Hunt

Hey guys,
          I am taking my SIL on his first elk bowhunt. I have a friend who is looking at unit 53 real hard and I have some experience with unit 711 above Dolores.

We are rolling a DIY hunt on public land and would like to get your reccomendation on either unit.

Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
            Planning on it. Haven't register yet tho

Sweet! I am going to be doing team this year, even gonna get me a wheelie bow. Makes me feel dirty, but it will be fun.

Comment

Sweet! I am going to be doing team this year, even gonna get me a wheelie bow. Makes me feel dirty, but it will be fun.

Oh ya will def be fun. I'm gonna
              Try to win Paris next week and then it's
              All about bulls and tth

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
                I'll second the other comments on this video. Well done. I enjoyed every minute of it while me and my pack where on my treadmill.

That's the way to watch it right there! I may need to do the same haha

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
                fantastic video, and love the choice of music. Lucero is a constant on my playlist.

I grew up 20 miles from Ben Nichols in Arkansas. Been a fan of those guys from the very beginning. There's not many songs I don't love

Comment

For anyone that is interested in a bino holder, fhf gear just got in some foliage green mediums. Got mine and the gps ouch ordered

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
                    For anyone that is interested in a bino holder, fhf gear just got in some foliage green mediums. Got mine and the gps ouch ordered

I've got a small and love mine. Worthy investment.

Comment

Quick question. What is the weight of your carry pack that you hunt with. Weighed mine this weekend and I'm at 20lbs, 28 with my muzzleloader strapped on.

Comment

I just weighed mine. Right at 14 but my bladder is only half full and my puffy isnt in there since its practically summer now. Add 2.2 pounds for a liter of water and 1.2 pounds for a puffy puts me at 17-18.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                          I've got a small and love mine. Worthy investment.
                          FYI the pro is noisey

Comment

Just got my harness in and took a walk with it. My binos are porro prism and he said it would be tight. It is but workable. Great craftsmanship from what I can tell. I like the foliage color. Gps harness is just a little big for my etrex but I could tighten the cord just enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                              FYI the pro is noisey
                              I disagree with that

Comment

I drew 22 North, up around Payson and below the rim.
                                My brother and I drew the late archery in 22 south a few years ago. It is a very tough hunt. Saw a ton of elk, but the bulls will be locked down in there holes. I suggest lots of heavy glassing, they wont leave there hiding places and you have to glass hard for them. 22 north is big, lots of good areas with good access, and close to town. the rim is very cool, We did not kill anything but I will never forget that hunt. I would give my left one to get to go back but in September. The Payson area is awesome, great people, awesome country. I would move there in a heartbeat!
                                Look up Jeremy Ulmer, he owns Chasin A Dream Archery in Payson, and is a guide. He is a good dude and gave us some pointers. Santana Outdoors is located there. Find them on line, They have great maps of that area. I even got one of their guys to mark a few spots on the map for me before he sent it to me. Good luck man!

Comment

Working...
                                X