308 Barrel Help (Copper Fouling?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's definitely not copper build up

I let that cooper solvent soak in that barrel twice for 30 minutes and those cuts are still there...

I'm gonna shoot it Sunday morning but that may be why I can't find a consistent bullet/powder combo to really dial that zero in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Take extra rounds with you and shoot a few to re-season the barrel before you shoot your groups. And, as others have said, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. I would say if you had 300 rounds down range, you are going to have some copper fouling. When I was doing accuracy work-ups, I didn't do the "scour the bore" thing until accuracy began to fall off noticeably. Most of us aren't benchrest shooters and don't notice the accuracy decrease, though.

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

I used the Wipe Out as well but didn't seem to have as much success with it. I'd let it sit, sometimes over night. I could still get powder fouling out with Hoppes and a brush after using Wipe Out. Barnes CR-10 is what I use now for copper fouling. Still use Hoppes and a brush for the powder fouling.

Comment

Shot my rifle yesterday. Aiming at small target on right. Groups are now 5 inches to the left and 2 inches low. 200 yards no wind. Two groups with different OALs, shorter length shot tighter but still completely different point of impacts now

Those cuts seem to be into the barrel. Maybe not cuts but erosion of some sort. Really weird. I tried cleaning the closest mark to the muzzle for about 20 minutes with all kinds of stuff and it's not making any progress so I'm convinced it's IN the barrel.

Comment

This was the last group I shot before I noticed these marks in the barrel
              200 yards 10mph wind from right to left. It was on shooting from the ground on a bipod (same position I always shoot from)

Comment

Now that it's super clean I can see these marks go halfway down the barrel. This is really weird stuff. Can rust eat the inside of a barrel that fast!?

More pics of inside barrel

Comment

Did you get any rust streaking on the patches?

That really looks like a gouge from tooling. Or from shooting the wrong ammo (saw a .270 go off in a 30.06 and make marks like that.

Comment

you have a mass produced rifle with little emphasis on QC, no telling how the barrel left the factory

to answer your question: rust will cause/accelerate pitting

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf9zZqn00CA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf9zZqn00CA[/ame]

Comment

No rust marks on patches. They come out super clean. I did notice a few fibers from the patch catch on these marks sometimes so I'm 100% sure it's in the barrel now

Great video!

I bought this gun used from a friend who takes care of his guns but now I'm thinking they may have always been there and just got worse with time

Comment

I have a bore scope and it is amazing what you can see in the barrel.

Nice video for reference

Comment

Working...
                        X