Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rainbow Trout Recipe needed

Hey Guys
    My Co-workers freezer went out and she gave me 4-5 freezer bags full of Rainbow Trout (They are gutted but head and tail still intact) whats your favorite method besides frying for these fish?? I am trying the lemon and butter wrapped in foil this weekend any others?

Thanks E

Lemon, butter, Cajun seasoning..... That's my favorite.

Comment

I went on a wilderness trip in Wyoming, and the guide stuffed the cavity with lemon wedges, and wrapped them in bacon. Talk about good!

Comment

1. rub with olive oil and your favorite seasoning and blacken in pan on stove
        2. lemon pepper seasoning and fresh dill sprigs or dried dill over foil on the grill

cut spine out to make boneless, makes them much more pleasant to eat.

Comment

Roll them in a cornmeal light flour mixture and cook fry them in a cast iron skillet in vegetable oil. Pair with a skillet of fried potatoes and onion and open a can of pork & beans. Serve with a slice of white bread. It don't get no better.

Comment

I’ve been fly fishing the streams and lakes of New Mexico and Colorado since I can remember. What I like to do is throw em back and grill a steak. Given your situation, however, I think diamond 10x is on to something.

Comment

I fry in butter, not oil

1. Cut off the head & tail, while still frozen.
              2. Cut a slit at the top of the head end with a knife and peel off the skin from both sides. very easy when frozen.
              3. Thaw enough to fill a cast iron skillet.
              4. Dip in milk, then egg(w/salt & pepper) & then seasoned breadcrumbs ( I like Italian), set aside on a plate.
              5. Get the skillet ready with 2 sticks butter, sauté fresh garlic & shiitake mushroom slices, add the fish & brown one side at a time. Use low temp so the butter will not burn.
              6. Set on a plate to cool enough to touch.
              7. Split dn the top from head end to tail end either with thumbs or a knife and gently peel the fish away from the backbone and small bones.
              the meat should pull away leaving a bare bones skeleton.

Did this a thousand times with native brook & brown trout, as well as, rainbows while living in PA years ago.
              Last edited by Luckytxtoo; 01-24-2019, 10:19 AM.

Comment

If you want to skin them before cooking, do this....

Cut off the fins. With head still attached, scald the fish for 30 seconds or so under hot tap water. Pull the head down toward the back and tail and keep pulling down until you peel all the skin off. It will come off easily after a little scald.

Comment

Working...
                X