Amazing how quickly life can change.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing how quickly life can change.

Last night we had some friends stop by to see our daughter who is 7 weeks and drop off a baby gift. We were visiting with them when my sister called. I hit the mute button and carried on with the conversation. She called back about 30 seconds later and I again muted the call. My wife said that is not like her to call back to back something is wrong. My response was if she calls a 3rd time then something is wrong and not 5 seconds later she called my wife's phone.

When I picked up the phone I could barely understand her - I got her to calm down enough to hear her say "come and get me", I started to put my shoes on and collect my things to head to her house (about 20 min. down 121). I asked her what was wrong and she said her husband was on his way home from work when they were talking on the phone and that he said his vision was getting really blurry and his arms were getting very weak and he was having trouble holding onto the steering wheel and that he was going to pull over for a minute. That was 10 min. prior to her phone call to me. I told her I was on my way and to call 911 and ask if an accident had been reported in the area he was in and if not let them know what happened and if they could send a unit to that area to look for him - it's a 4 corner intersection so he should be easy to find.

I hit the road within seconds of picking up the phone and the only thought running through my mind was stroke (my grandmother in law died of a stroke 2 yrs and 4 days ago) and mentioned the same symptoms before collapsing. My sister called me and said no accidents were reported and that the PD would dispatch a unit to the area.

I got to the area faster than I ever have before and started looking for his truck. My biggest fear was that I was going to find him a paralyzed stroke victim.

Both my sister and I were calling his phone with no response. I finally found his truck in a fast food parking lot and as I pulled next to him I could see him slumped over in his seat. I jumped out and ran to his truck jerking the door open as soon as I got there.

He was out of it - he had been there by our best guess close to 45 minutes but he thought it was 5 or 10 minutes. His speech was slurred and his movements were shaky at best. He was less than a .5 mile from his house so I called my sister and told her I found him and to call 911 for an ambulance. I moved him to the passenger seat and headed to his house. We arrived within 2 minutes and the EMT were 30 seconds behind us.

They started their evaluations and all vitals checked out good - his speech was getting better and he said he was feeling a little better. We asked the EMT which hospital they were taking him too and they said they were not going to transport him but we should probably take him in to the ER to be monitored. ( still amazed they did not take him) I loaded my sister and their 5.5 week old son in the truck and we left for the ER.

The entire drive his speech was worsening - it started out sounding he had bit his tongue and it was swollen to sounding like he had bit his tongue and he was severely intoxicated. Then as we neared the hospital he became incoherent - he responded to questions with head nods and knew that he was not speaking well but could not control it.

Once we arrived at the ER they took him back immediately and started to run tests.

As time went on he started to get better - speech improved to normal and his motor skills were much better as well. It was very odd - but after 3 different MRI scans - CT scan - and lab work the doctor was left scratching his head.

There were no signs of a stroke from the CT scan which is a blessing but there is obviously something wrong. He has an appointment with a neurologist in the next few days to further investigate.

My brother in law just turned 23, is a good kid and has a 5 week old son, he married my sister back in March and is the sole bread winner for his family. Money is tight already considering they just had a baby and this trip to the ER is not going to do them any favors.

First I am extremely thankful that the cause was not a stroke and second I am thankful and incredibly blessed by the family I am surrounded by. My MIL watched our 2 kids until 130AM and my wife was in the ER shortly after we did. My Dad was there 15 minutes later and all of our phones were ringing from other family members letting us know they are praying and asking for updates. His parents were on their way up from Houston. There was an issue and all segments of my family reacted and were there - I feel blessed.

I wrote all this for two reasons, first hug and kiss your children, tell your wife you love her, tell your parents you love them. Make sure those close to you know that you care about them. It can all be over in an instant.

Second I ask that you pray for Gene and Jessie - they are young and still learning to put one foot in front of the other as adults and have some tough roads ahead I am sure - at least financially. Pray that whatever is wrong is easily fixed or cured and that this becomes a distant memory for them.

I also want to publicly thank Leon (Blood Trail) for his kindness. He posted a bunch of formula for free in the classifieds for a family in need. My sister was unable to breast feed so they have been using formula and I know it is stretching their budget along with a few other issues they have going on outside of the medical issues and I know they can use any help they can get. He wouldn't even accept money for the shipping.

That is one of the many reasons why I love this site.

God Bless you Leon

Prayers sent.

Comment

Prayers up.

Comment

Prayers en route

Comment

Prayers sent!

Comment

Prayers sent.

Comment

Wow...thanks for sharing....we just never know do we. Great advice. Prayers your way Chongo.

Comment

PRayers going up for complete recovery and discovery of what caused this.

Comment

Prayers sent.

Comment

Prayers sent.

Comment

Prayers sent

Comment

Prayers sent
                        Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Prayers sent.

Comment

prayers up and next time you call an ambulance for anything TELL THEM THEY ARE GOING TO TRANSPORT. It is not up the them, it up to you. If he had been having a stroke every minute counts.

Comment

Glad you made it to the ER. It is getting more and more where EMS does not like trans porting due to wait times in the ER's and the amount of paper work. I have had people not do as well and families actuallly get into accidents due to situations like this. You can request strongly for them to transport your family member to the ER. When you transport you are driving significantly distracted and ....well things happen.
                              Roy

Comment

Working...
                              X