Tips/Tricks to raising blue heelers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips/Tricks to raising blue heelers

My wife and I ended up with a young male heeler. Hes right at 2 1/2 months old and is smarter than any other dog I ever owned and hard headed/strong willed to boot. He was not house trained when we got him and it took me less than 48 hours to get him to stop going in the house. He even rings a bell at the door to let me know he wants out.

For those of you have them or did have heelers, how did you get them to stop biting? I understand he is young and its in their nature to work with their mouths, but when he plays with my son, he gets real teethy.
    We hope for him to work our goats and maybe some cattle eventually. He has that strong drive to get at our farm critters and likes to go after our heels/calves when running together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Getting kicked in the face by a horse helped ours, but it took quite a few more times being kicked by me. He's the most protective dog I've ever seen, but he absolutely CANNOT be out if my son has friends over. He still trys to bite them when the play, and he still nips at adult strangers even after he's used to them. I have no idea how to stop it besides making him wear a shock collar all the time. This dog is just stupid, he's not all heeler though, he's 1/2 aussie....100% dumb as a bag of hammers.

He got bit by a rattlesnake a few years ago and un-fortunately, it only almost killed him. It did nothing to improve his trust of strangers.

He will be my last heeler.
      Last edited by Dale Moser; 02-09-2021, 03:21 PM.

Comment

The BEST dog breed on this planet. Always had heelers growing up and the last one I had passed away 4 years ago and have been dogless since. Hard to fill that gap from such great dogs. As far as biting, I never remember any of ours being too aggressive while playing. Discipline like any other breed seemed to work and stopped it. I don’t have much in the way of advice other than they have to have room to play or they will be one of the worst dogs you’ve ever had, but I think you have that covered.

They will try herding any other animals you have around, it’s actually quite entertaining and cool to watch. The only problem we ever had was with chickens, but you can solve that real quick if you have chickens. When they’re young let them get kicked by one of the horses and they’ll wise up real quick, or at least that was my experience with all of ours. They are tough as nails and will become one of the family members very quick, extremely loyal.

Comment

Exercise is going to be the biggest help.
          When he bites at people, start with an overexaggerated "ow!" and turn your back to him like you don't even want to look at him. It will be hard for kids to do this but if they stay consistent, it will work. Also think about how his momma would scold him and do the same. Growl, grab him by the neck, pin him, etc.
          And more exercise!
          I usually don't play with them with my hands. We have toys they can bite and we play tug and toss and shake. They aren't allowed to touch me with their mouth. Eventually he will get it. Heelers are worse about nipping than a lot of other herding breeds because of their drive to bite - they come by their name honestly.
          And more exercise! You have plenty of space, it looks like, so keep him moving. Provide a wide variety of toys he can chew on too. In a few months, teething will start Yikes.

Comment

Have a solid obedience foundation of sit, stay, here, leave it, off, kennel etc. When he gets teethy redirect his attention to one of the obedience commands, than give him a chewy toy. Also what Pistol said about "ow" and ignoring him.

Daily exercise and obedience is key with every dog.

Comment

When I was in college I had a half heeler half pit bull. The guy I got him from told me that first thing every morning I needed to put the fear of God into that dog. It was sound advice

Comment

Thanks for the replies fellas. Yes, we have plenty space to run.
                He is a stubborn little dog haha. My FIL had a red heeler and she made it to 15 years old. Best dog he ever had and she listened very well even though she still had her drive. She was hell on dolly tires for some reason. His approach was more of a ā€œlet her be and we will figure out the restā€ kind of thing.

I thought i had him figured out with being house broken until today. No accident or anything for couple days. He was using his bell at the door often then all a sudden he went in the house three times this afternoon after being let out. Almost like he was upset with me for getting onto him.

Iā€™ll def try the ā€œOwā€ thing when he does it again. We have a few toys but he seems to like a moving target. AKA our hands.

We have several other dogs and playing the dominant roll and positive reinforcement worked like a charm on them. But heā€™s not taking to that well yet, at least with not as young as he is. Maybe a little more time and persistence will get to him.

Comment

Get a frisbee. They love frisbee..especially glow in the dark ones. Ours only nips at my feet when she’s extremely excited. She plays very well with all kids, never bites or herds. Adults it’s a hit or miss if she likes you, but she never bites. They are definitely hardheaded but intelligent. We keep a shock collar on that has a bunch of different power levels and a vibrate. Mostly because she’s deaf and the vibrate was a way to signal her to come when she wasn’t facing us. But it did work well when needed for bad behavior and very rarely do we ever use the collar. They pick up quick. Great dog. Frisbee daily and they are happy.
                  Look up skid boot.

Comment

Good smart dogs but are bull headed
                    And wont quit until you tell them to
                    Protective as all get out but once trained
                    They are awesome dogs and tough as any pit bull in my opinion
                    Just lost my last one in early Jan
                    She was 14 one of the best dogs I ever had
                    Her name was Gracie
                    Going to look at a Blue Lacy next
                    Good luck with the Pup
                    Think you will be happy with the breed

Comment

Mine is very independent and strong willed. She chewed everything within reach for the first year, including me. I patched holes in the wall the size of basketballs three times. Once she turned one she mellowed considerably, but to echo what has already been pointed out, she's very protective. As long as I'm around she's fine, but if I'm not and someone comes near the yard she comes unglued. Never bitten or snapped at anyone, but people fear her more than my Doberman. She'll defend my truck, but won't leave it if she's riding with me. Smart as a whip and picks up tricks very quickly. Best frisbee dog I've ever had.

Comment

Oh and they love moving hands. I’ll get ours wild up every now and then for a play fight. She knows when it’s allowed. I know most people don’t do that but it’s pretty entertaining and fun. Definitely get these. The black light will charge glow objects instantly.
                        Check out Zisc, the floatable flying, super strong, super flexible, fast flying dog toy. Made in the USA, Zisc is latex-free, but will hold up to your daily game of fetch.

Comment

They are the most stubborn, hard headed, knipping *******s, That will chew up and tear up everything until about 3... that being said they will become your most loyal, faithful and protective dog. They have one master and one family. Establish yourself early as the master. He/she will die for their family

Comment

Interesting to hear about them chewing everything. Ours have never chewed up anything other than what she was allowed too. But I do give her beef hoofs from the feed store to keep her busy. Feed store hoof is where it’s at

Comment

Because biting can NOT be tolerated, the next time it happens your reaction needs to be swift and terrible! Then, after you’ve unloaded a little “shock and aw” on him, he needs to be put in a corner, metaphorically speaking. Not only should he be banished to his crate, his crate should be placed in the most boring room in your house, a room with very little visual interest. Just like over-active, headstrong children, lack of stimulation is punishment in his own right.

If he’s as headstrong as others suggest is typical of the breed, you may have to do this more than once.
                              Last edited by ThisLadyHunts; 02-09-2021, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X