Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 PM   #1
EastTx
Ten Point

Default Hunting Journal

*WARNING* LONG READ*

I have been keeping a hunting journal for several years where I keep track of number of deer seen, weather conditions, moon phase, rut activity, etc. I was looking through my journal today to try and decide what my best days had been in the past so that I could schedule my vacation time for this season. I ended up diving in a little deeper and found a pretty cool trend I thought I would share.
Over the past three seasons, consisting of more hours on a stand than I'm willing to admit, there were six days on the stand that stood out above the rest for me.

Oct/29/2014

8:35 a.m., overcast, 56, Northeast wind 5mph, pressure 30.17 rising. I shot this buck at around 8:30 a.m. coming to a scrape. It was the first time the wind had switched to the North after four straight days of a South wind.

Nov/19/2014

4:55 p.m., clear, 62, South wind 3mph, pressure 30.19 steady. On this day the barometer fell all day from 30.4 until it leveled out at 30.19. It was the first day of South wind after a week of North wind and cold temperatures. Highs for the week prior were in the low 40's, with lows in the high 20's. On the afternoon when I shot this buck the temp had risen to 62

Oct/26/2015

8:35 a.m., overcast, 57, North wind 10 mph, pressure 29.95 rising. A hunt I will never forget. I did not kill a buck but did video several mature bucks throughout the morning. This day was the first North wind after five straight days of South wind.

Nov/21/2015

5:15 p.m., overcast, 48, North wind 10mph, pressure 30.25 rising. I watched an old stocky eight point guard a doe in an oat patch for most of the afternoon. There were two days of Southeast wind prior to this day. On this afternoon the wind was gusting up to 25mph out of the North

Dec/4/2015

4:55 p.m., clear, 52, North wind 5mph, pressure 30.43 rising. I killed my best buck on this day just before last light coming in to check does in a large oat patch. This day had the highest barometric pressure of any day of the 2015 season. It topped out at 30.54 later on that night. This afternoon there was a shift in the wind from North to East after eight straight days of North wind.

Nov/5/2016

5:35 p.m., overcast, 63, Northwest wind 5mph, pressure 30.22 rising. I rattled this buck in an hour before sunset. He was up on his feet cruising for does. The wind had switched to a North wind the evening before after 7 days of a South wind.

After several days of wind from one direction, the day, and the day after the wind switches directions is when I had encounters with mature bucks. I ha e several other less impressive but mature bucks in my journal that fell into this pattern too. I know I'm over analysing but just thought it was a really cool pattern.
EastTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 11:33 PM   #2
steven
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rusk Co

Great post! Mark Drury talked about the same thing on the Wired to Hunt podcast #63. They mainly talk about midwest hunting but there's a ton of good info there.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2015/07/09/th...t-wmark-drury/
steven is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 11:58 PM   #3
Jscott1112
Four Point

Hunt In: Coke & Erath County

Excellent post and thanks for sharing. I keep journals on my hunts too. Not as detailed as some friends but it is still great to look back and compare notes.
Jscott1112 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 11:59 PM   #4
laredoarcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: SoTex and Snodgrass

Good info. I pick up BP always rising and a change in wind direction. Plus it helps to have big deer on your place. Thx for sharing. Safe hunting
laredoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 06:17 AM   #5
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

Pretty perceptive observations....thanks for sharing.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 07:00 AM   #6
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee

So what's the trend? A wind shift after days of a consistent wind?? And a high Barometric pressure?

I believe you are on to something with the wind shifting. Everyone knows it's good hunting with a high pressure but if you start thinking like a buck the wind makes a big deal. That mature buck is out there living in the wild. He is doing everything he can to avoid danger and lives with his nose. If he consistently falls into somewhat of a pattern with a certain wind for a say 5 days then there is a pronounced wind shift. He must move and alter his route/plans whatever you want to call it to put the wind back in his face and favor. Just a hypothesis but it makes sense to me when I start trying to understand why there is good movement after a shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 07:01 AM   #7
Tshelly
Ten Point

Default Hunting Journal

I don't do a good enough observing the pressure before I hunt. I definitely will be spending more time on it this year

Old 09-14-2017, 07:48 AM   #8
EastTx
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshelly View Post
So what's the trend? A wind shift after days of a consistent wind??
Exactly that. I think it is exactly the reason you stated about bucks kind of falling into a pattern and suddenly having to change with a switch in wind direction.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2017, 07:55 AM   #9
kruppa24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho

cool post
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 08:08 AM   #10
ETXHorseApple
Four Point

Hunt In: Anderson Co

very interesting post! I have always kept mental notes but I think this year I will start a Journal!

Thanks for sharing!
ETXHorseApple is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #11
MasonCo.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason

Nice info, good pattern.
MasonCo. is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 08:40 AM   #12
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Good info
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 08:40 AM   #13
Loanman
Spike

Hunt In: Turkey Tx

By looking at those pics i would say you have been blessed in the Hunting Dept.
Beautiful deer.
Loanman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 08:49 AM   #14
bollomb
Eight Point

Hunt In: Trinity

A hunting journal is a pretty cool idea. Something you can pass on to your kids and they can re live your hunts.
bollomb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 08:54 AM   #15
Hoss163
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

That is a great observation thanks for the post I will have to watch for this next season!
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #16
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Cool deal. I keep a log as well with similar information and enjoy reading old hunts. Lots of little things that I don't recall until I re-read the hunt.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 09:19 AM   #17
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

You're locked in on the number one condition that matters when hunting mature bucks. For you to be killing them that tells me an awful lot about how you hunt, sort of confirms thoughts I've had about how you hunt in the past.

When you put yourself in between bedding areas wind direction change trumps all other conditions. Mature bucks will bed 95% of the time with the wind at their back and where they can see out front. When that wind direction changes, whatever time of day it is, they absolutely can not stand it and have to move.

jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #18
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Excellent!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #19
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

My old lease in Kansas was set up to where I would blow every deer off of the place if I tried to hunt on a south wind. On days that the wind was out of the south, I just didn't hunt. I would load some cold beers in a cooler and park up on the huge hill behind the barn and watch the bottom and see what deer were doing. Countless times I'd be sitting with a south wind and the wind would shift to say NE. Every single time the wind shifted I'd see mature bucks stand up from their bed and relocate. When you figure that trend out you're hunting and not just feeder guarding anymore. Be careful making intelligent insiteful posts on this forum. People will start calling you narcissistic and making it a point in their life to prove you wrong.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #20
Tshelly
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooger17 View Post
Be careful making intelligent insiteful posts on this forum. People will start calling you narcissistic and making it a point in their life to prove you wrong.

Lol!! Watch it, the "feeder guarding" police will write you up for that. I like trying to sit on some type of ridge or travel corridor when there is a wind shift like you described.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:05 AM   #21
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Lol!! Watch it, the "feeder guarding" police will write you up for that. I like trying to sit on some type of ridge or travel corridor when there is a wind shift like you described.

You gonna be close to me on opening day? Might have to meet up for a burger.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #22
jooger17
Pope & Young

Check that you probably don't eat burgers. You can have a grilled chicken salad and I'll have a burger

Old 09-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #23
Miketex2016
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: TX

Good info. Have to keep that in mind this year.
Miketex2016 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #24
Tshelly
Ten Point

Quote:
Check that you probably don't eat burgers. You can have a grilled chicken salad and I'll have a burger

lol I need some chicken in my life. I have packed on the lbs last month or two. I messed up my wrist filling feeders in Oklahoma it's just now getting back ok. I'll be down for lunch for sure if I'm here.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #25
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
lol I need some chicken in my life. I have packed on the lbs last month or two. I messed up my wrist filling feeders in Oklahoma it's just now getting back ok. I'll be down for lunch for sure if I'm here.

We'll drag your deer out about 10:30 and go grab lunch.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #26
EastTx
Ten Point

Quote:
Be careful making intelligent insiteful posts on this forum. People will start calling you narcissistic and making it a point in their life to prove you wrong.
Sorry if my post comes off as narcissistic to some. I included the pictures just as a little visual proof to back up the patterns I saw.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #27
bigmike585
Ten Point

Appreciate the post.
bigmike585 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #28
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTx View Post
Sorry if my post comes off as narcissistic to some. I included the pictures just as a little visual proof to back up the patterns I saw.

Don't apologize for it, I never do lol. I enjoy your live hunts and enjoy someone that actually puts a little thought and tact into hunting. You don't get a group of pictures like you posted by accident.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:19 AM   #29
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke/Water Valley, Navarro Co

good info to think about
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #30
EastTx
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
Great post! Mark Drury talked about the same thing on the Wired to Hunt podcast #63. They mainly talk about midwest hunting but there's a ton of good info there.

I just finished listening and man there was some great info in there! He definitely believes in the day or two after a switch in the wind direction, and high pressure. I really liked how he broke the season down into the 13 different phases. I was shaking my head in agreement through most of the interview. I didn't see the correlation between deer movement and the moon phase in my records like he did, but I know he has way more data to go off of than me. He is the first person I have heard talk about the hunting being the best during and around a full moon. You usually hear people say the opposite. The man really knows his stuff. Thanks for sharing that!
Old 09-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #31
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere they let me in!

I started keeping a similar log the last couple seasons covering most everything you have said other than the barometric pressure. Lots of knowledge can be gathered for sure from just a small amount of time put into just logging what is going on.

Great pick up on your part figuring out the wind shifts and it makes perfectly clear sense thinking about it now. Thanks for posting!
MedicineMan7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #32
steven
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rusk Co

Quote:
I just finished listening and man there was some great info in there! He definitely believes in the day or two after a switch in the wind direction, and high pressure. I really liked how he broke the season down into the 13 different phases. I was shaking my head in agreement through most of the interview. I didn't see the correlation between deer movement and the moon phase in my records like he did, but I know he has way more data to go off of than me. He is the first person I have heard talk about the hunting being the best during and around a full moon. You usually hear people say the opposite. The man really knows his stuff. Thanks for sharing that!
Yessir! I've listened to that particular episode at least 5 times since I found it and will probably hear it another 5times in the next two weeks.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #33
bjsexpress
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX

Cool... I "hunt" when I can, I think it's great info and sound research with proven results. I know I've spent countless hours with not a hair seen but being there always better than not, can't kill anything if your not putting in the hours in the field. Dream of retirement, and hunting everyday an entire season. Thanks for sharing. Great post!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
bjsexpress is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 12:20 PM   #34
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsexpress View Post
Cool... I "hunt" when I can, I think it's great info and sound research with proven results. I know I've spent countless hours with not a hair seen but being there always better than not, can't kill anything if your not putting in the hours in the field. Dream of retirement, and hunting everyday an entire season. Thanks for sharing. Great post!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I don't think the OP is suggesting you should stay home when conditions don't align. It's kind of like a guy may only be able to handle a handful of daylight to dark sits in a year. If you're going to go that route in E. Tx based on recorded info; try and pick a day towards the end of October, with cool temps, when the wind is supposed to shift and the barometer is 30.15-30.25.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:46 PM   #35
SFAbowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Quote:
I don't think the OP is suggesting you should stay home when conditions don't align. It's kind of like a guy may only be able to handle a handful of daylight to dark sits in a year. If you're going to go that route in E. Tx based on recorded info; try and pick a day towards the end of October, with cool temps, when the wind is supposed to shift and the barometer is 30.15-30.25.

How can you tell this in advanced? Say those days fall into the normal work week, how can you request time off in advanced?

I know the few days where I have seen the most chasing of the rut here in northern Texas, so I'm planning to take about 5 days to cover that.

By the way, great post OP! This is great stuff. I hunt lots of public land and need to start recording my data as well.
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #36
jjaimes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

This is some good stuff!
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #37
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
How can you tell this in advanced? Say those days fall into the normal work week, how can you request time off in advanced?

I know the few days where I have seen the most chasing of the rut here in northern Texas, so I'm planning to take about 5 days to cover that.

By the way, great post OP! This is great stuff. I hunt lots of public land and need to start recording my data as well.

I don't know that you can plan far enough in advance to take off. I try and check the weather the night before and the morning of every hunt. If it looks like conditions will be right, I pack a lunch.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:15 PM   #38
SFAbowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
I don't know that you can plan far enough in advance to take off. I try and check the weather the night before and the morning of every hunt. If it looks like conditions will be right, I pack a lunch.

Good thoughts. I will be taking 5 days in early November for 5 all day sits.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:37 PM   #39
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post

Wake up, check the conditions and if they look good tell your boss you have bad **** glaucoma that day.

Last edited by AgHntr10; 09-14-2017 at 03:45 PM..
Old 09-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #40
SFAbowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgHntr10 View Post
Wake up, check the conditions and if they look good tell you boss you have bad **** glaucoma that day.

my bosses know dang well what I'm doing

Last edited by SFAbowhunter; 09-14-2017 at 03:56 PM..
Old 09-14-2017, 03:45 PM   #41
Apretz
Four Point

Hunt In: Howard County, TX; Atoka County, OK

I've noticed the same on wind, the first south wind after several days of north is almost always a day that bucks will be out. I noticed because a buck I was after all last year was showing up on a south wind after a cold front to a spot that is only huntable with a north wind.
Apretz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 03:49 PM   #42
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Excellent thread. Note the pattern of big deer getting vulnerable on a significant wind chance. i wrote a post about the Corner Effect and how big deer had to change their position when the wind changed. great info sir.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 05:26 PM   #43
bklem
Ten Point

You guys kill me. In a good way! When people ask me my "hobbies" I have always said "hunting, fishing, and football". Hunting has definitely become a clear cut #1 as I've gotten older. Therefore, I consider myself a "hunter". It has become obvious to me that I am a "whiskey drinker" that likes to look at deer. LOL You guys are true "hunters" and I enjoy the heck out of reading these posts. Y'all kill some mighty impressive deer where it is NOT easy to kill 'em. I will continue to "hunt" vicariously through y'alls posts. Love 'em.
bklem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 06:14 PM   #44
BW96
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public and wood county

Thank you for this very interesting information. Someone's literally doing their homework. Good job!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
BW96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #45
Hix
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co. & Marion Co.

Finally a post about hunting. Great info.

Hix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 06:43 PM   #46
Bort
Six Point

My parents gave me a nice leather hunting journal a few years ago. I laughed at it when I opened it, but it's been pretty cool recording my hunts. Wished I had thought to record barometric pressure. Cool read. Thanks.
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 08:28 PM   #47
EastTx
Ten Point

Quote:
Yessir! I've listened to that particular episode at least 5 times since I found it and will probably hear it another 5times in the next two weeks.
I listened to it again lol. One thing he does that I never thought about is comparing his daylight pics of mature bucks from his game cams to weather history. I have years worth of pics on my laptop that I would like to go through and compare also to see if the trend sticks.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:02 AM   #48
bollomb
Eight Point

Hunt In: Trinity

Quote:

Thanks for this, it was a good listen
bollomb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 08:26 AM   #49
spidermonkey
Eight Point

Hunt In: northeast and central texas

Haha!! And I thought I was the only one who was that crazy/**** bout huntin stuff! I have done the exact same thing for years, and like you have noticed the EXACT same trend with the movement following a change in wind direction. And I also have killed, or at least seen some of my better bucks when this scenario happens. In my journal, I also always do a write up/mini story of the hunt, which is always cool to go back and read... Especially the ones where I kill something! Another thing I always have written down is the "direction of travel" as in the way the deer move to where my stand is, and the way they leave the area. It's always cool how that will deviate with the conditions/wind direction. Once again, awesome write up, and good to see others are as crazy as me! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #50
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Quote:
I don't keep near the records you guys do but I had one buck in particular that I hunted hard for a couple of years. I was logging weather and moon phase from all his pictures and every time there was a full moon I would get daylight pictures when most pictures were coming at night. Took off work for the full moon in October and sure enough he came in at 3:20 in the afternoon, but I blew my shot. Never put that much thought into a deer before and since he ended up getting killed I haven't had one on camera that has intrigued me as much as him. I need to do a better job of keeping up with it all.