Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 10-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #1
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX
Default How to Reduce Pressure on Property?

I have some questions for you guys on what you all do to prevent pressuring deer. How do you guys prevent pressure on your land/leases? Do you walk a long way to prevent driving your vehicle and/or ATV/UTV? The reason I'm asking is because our property is fairly small (under 400 acres) and I was curious to see if you guys do anything in particular to help reduce pressure. What time do yall like to get to your feeders in the morning? I feel like we get to our stands plenty early in the morning (6am), but as we are walking there we will bust some deer out. Do you think it's better to have someone drive and drop you off to prevent the deer from running and busting you? Do you hunt a feeder only on a special circumstance (i.e. pressure, wind, etc.)? I know that there are a bunch of different opinions on this topic but I'd really like to hear what works for you and the reasons you do it.
bgleaton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
bgleaton
Ten Point

No opinions or suggestions?
Old 10-02-2017, 05:59 PM   #3
Capt.Bryan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

Each property and location is different. On some places out west I have seen people almost get ran over by deer while driving their pickup to the stand, because they knew the pickup was like a food truck for them with the corn feeder on it. On same place you start up a four wheeler or utv and they are high tailing it to the next county. This was mostly due to seeing the trucks filling feeders all summer as well as a rancher driving his truck through the ranch regularly checking livestock. Somewhat the same in east texas with some of the oilfield pumpers checking well sites, but the second that truck goes into a new area off the normal routine they are gone. If your going to walk in you have to make sure your entire walk is with the right wind. No excess riding around filling feeders, joy riding etc. If you take a truck or atv to the stand load up feed and fill feeder after morning hunt to cut down on traffic at mid day. If your on a lease and walk in but 3 other hunters ride through area to go to their stands not good. Minimize others hunting your stands or area too because you dont know how noisy that person is when your not their.
Capt.Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2017, 06:07 PM   #4
Swamprat
Four Point

We always:

- Drive with fog lights only from the highway to the parking spot..~3/4mi. And turn down the Zep.
- park ~400yds away
- attempt to not use flashlight during the 400yd walk...Have about 80% success on this one. The last 100yds can get easily confusing in pitch dark.
- try to be in the stand before 6am
- avoid bringing truck to pen, unless we have to.
Swamprat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #5
bgleaton
Ten Point

Thanks guys! What about deer that are in and around feeders on your way in very early in the morning (5:30-6am). How do you prevent them from blowing and running off?
Old 10-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin

400 acres is a lot, unless its open plains, you should be able to get in and out without being noticed. We hunt on 40 acres next to public land/a neighbor who doesn't hunt, and let's us on her place. We hunt the edges, with the center part of our woods being fairly thick, and a safe place where we stay out of 100% after Aug 1. There is tons of cover and food. Deer go straight there the first time they see someone in camo or orange. Works out awesome for us.

However, deer are different everywhere, so your results may differ. But staying out of a specific area is great.
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #7
TexasTealHunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: North / Central Texas

Don't think there is a way to avoid busting when walking to stand... sounds like your spot is in or near their bedding area and/or they are up early moving there to be close to feeder/food source when it goes off... when this happens to me i just get in blind set up quickly quiet down and hope they didn't get to spooked... typically they dont go to far in my experience.
TexasTealHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2017, 06:34 PM   #8
PowThudBeer
Eight Point

Hunt In: Montague County, Saguache CO

I have a stand that always has deer around it in the mornings. I've quit hunting that stand in the mornings because there is no way to access it without busting deer out. It is one I only go to in the afternoons when deer aren't typically near it. It just isn't worth trying to sneak in and risk jumping a bunch of deer.
PowThudBeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2017, 06:46 PM   #9
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

I hunt four different places, that way I don't overhunt any of them. Even at that, I make sure I can get in and out quickly, quietly, and not flood the area with my scent. Sometimes, if the wind doesn't cooperate, I just don't go.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2017, 06:46 PM   #10
CTR0022
Eight Point

i always liked to use a small led blue bulb flashlight to walk to my stand. i want something just bright enough to see were i'm going and i try to only use it sparingly

i'd also cut the atv/utv use to a minimum, like only after/during heavy rains that have the roads a mess. i think one of the best things i ever did was take my mt bike to the lease just messing around to ride for exercise during the offseason. i was amazed how many animals i drover right up on.

Last edited by CTR0022; 10-02-2017 at 06:50 PM..
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #11
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgleaton View Post
Thanks guys! What about deer that are in and around feeders on your way in very early in the morning (5:30-6am). How do you prevent them from blowing and running off?
I don't have that problem in E Texas because deer don't come running to feeders here. When I hunted Runnels Co. (18 years), I set my feeders for 8:00 am, that way the deer weren't hanging around in the dark waiting for it to go off. Learned that lesson fairly quickly !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2017, 07:18 PM   #12
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Manitoba Canada

My job has a way helping keep the pressure off the deer. .

Anyway, at my property in Wisconsin I walk everywhere. I am also very cognizant of the wind for my approach and once in the stand. Use a blue/red colored headlamp.

At the Texas lease I try to be in the stand a minimum of 1 hour before the feeder goes off. Since we started feeding protein I usually expect to run off deer when I get to the feeder, that's just the way it is. They usually come back. Park about 2-300 yards away and don't think too much about he wind. 2 of my 3 blinds are positioned well for prevailing winds and my approach. The other blind I really need to re position, but I hardly hunt there.....it's my hog stand.
Kdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2017, 08:53 PM   #13
sws200201
Four Point

We tried several things such as going out at the same time and getting out of the stand at the same time but we ended up making the kids unhappy for sitting to long. The whole reason we were hunting was to get the kids interested in it but we were defeating the purpose. So we decided to make it fun for the kids and we ended up having a better time. We may not have seen as many deer but it was not the main reason we were there for.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
sws200201 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2017, 09:09 PM   #14
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

We have 230 ac. We walk to our blinds or ride a bike to the blind that is about 3/4 of a mile from camp. Never go near feeders till we get ready to leave ,unless it doesn't throw. Fill feeders after the last hunt for that trip. We make it a point not to get in the pasture much during hunting season. If we go to town after the AM hunt we corn the main road for the evening hunt. Seems to work pretty good, we normally see plenty of deer & pigs.
DUKFVR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2017, 09:11 PM   #15
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

We hunted a small 350 for many years.
We left about 75-100 acres of thick brush as a Sanctuary we never entered into except
To retrieve a deer. And set up our feeders on the edges.
We watched the wind and only hunted certain stands when the wind was acceptable.
We fed the area every time we drove by. We didn't shoot pigs, does or yotes when buck hunting.
Pens kept the javelinas and pigs from coming to the feeders.
And waited till deer were gone before we left the stand in the mornings
And only after dark in the evenings. Red light headlights before daylight and after dark.
We fed the feeders at night and tried to get in quietly and quickly.
lLastly, we only hunted weekends and the stands were quiet for several days between hunts.

And unlike others here I have read, we killed many mature bucks at the feeders.

BP
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2017, 09:37 PM   #16
texashunter56
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas in Goliad, Live Oak, La Salle, Pecos to Kansas to Alberta and beyond

I have had the best luck by having one person/vehicle drop every hunter off at their stand and pick them up when they are done. The person driving will have to find a close spot to park. I always use a road feeder to feed the blind that I drop someone off or after I put my stuff in the blind that I am hunting. I road feed and park as close as I can. I road feed every blind so the deer are used to that same vehicle and expect the corn. Never allow anyone to shoot and get out of the blind. Allow a vehicle to pick them up to run the deer off then road feed leaving. If no one can pick the shooter up then have them wait till all deer leave the area on their own. You can kill mature bucks at feeder(I have done it for a long time) but I prefer to kill them on the corn in the roads. I have done this since 1989 on several ranches and it has always worked well.
texashunter56 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2017, 11:10 PM   #17
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Stay out of there is the best advice I can offer. Limit your trips to times when you have the best chance of seeing a mature buck. You mite have to miss a few days/weekends.
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2017, 12:20 AM   #18
stxslayer
Six Point

Hunt In: Pearsall and Comfort

We have this one spot that we would walk past a feed pen with corn and protein. Almost every time we would go past we would jump deer from it at 6 in the morning. Camera would show bucks and does eating protein right before we got there. We quit coming in that way and walk the long way around and come in from the other direction. We hand corn all the other roads accept the one that goes past the feed pen. We also try to drag a scent rag with doe n heat about 200 yards out from the blind. We think the scent helps cover our scent and throws them off. The scent doesn't work as intended to except for when it is right and it does great things. Good luck and keep the driving to a minimum.
stxslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2017, 08:47 AM   #19
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings

If the deer are already there, I drive up to the stand. Always seemed like they don’t go far when you drive up and get dropped off. But when I try to sneak in they always just take off and don’t come back

If I’m by myself, I still drive up. Put my stuff in the blind go park and then walk back in
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #20
bgleaton
Ten Point

I would say that 50% of our property is very thick oak,cedar elm, and cedar thickets in big draws and revines that's in the middle of or property. we never walk or drive anywhere near this location. We drive my truck to and from the stands (stay about 300 yards away at the very least) since its very quiet and as soon as we get done we try to sneak out of there as quiet as possible and get back to the house. We don't do any walking or anything bc we don't want to spook any deer. I think one of the blinds is going to have to be an afternoon spot only since there are deer there every morning. I think deer definitely do not blow or spook when you are driving a truck in the woods vs a human being seen. We have a UTV but we don't like to use it unless it's very muddy. Maybe one day we can find an electric golf cart for a good deal. I think one of those would be awesome. I guess it's just tough when you have so many deer.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #21
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

Quote:
Originally Posted by texashunter56 View Post
I have had the best luck by having one person/vehicle drop every hunter off at their stand and pick them up when they are done. The person driving will have to find a close spot to park. I always use a road feeder to feed the blind that I drop someone off or after I put my stuff in the blind that I am hunting. I road feed and park as close as I can. I road feed every blind so the deer are used to that same vehicle and expect the corn. Never allow anyone to shoot and get out of the blind. Allow a vehicle to pick them up to run the deer off then road feed leaving. If no one can pick the shooter up then have them wait till all deer leave the area on their own. You can kill mature bucks at feeder(I have done it for a long time) but I prefer to kill them on the corn in the roads. I have done this since 1989 on several ranches and it has always worked well.
My father in law taught us to do the same thing. You have to be fast crawling up into the tower when being dropped off or the corn hungry residentials will watch you crawl into the blind. A gunshot that kills a buck down one sendero often wont clear the rest of the senderos the pickup coming to pick them up will. Deer in the brush can almost be taught to come to the ching a ching of a road feeder like cattle come to the siren of a cake feeder.
MASTERS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #22
timoub007
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgleaton View Post
Maybe one day we can find an electric golf cart for a good deal. I think one of those would be awesome. I guess it's just tough when you have so many deer.
And this is why I bought an electric Polaris Ranger (EV). The only thing I would change about it is I wish they made one in the crew version. A 100 +/- quart ice chest in the bed makes a nice seat.
timoub007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #23
conroekro88
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Gonzales County

First, some background:

The property I hunt on is 46 acres, but we only hunt 30 acres of it with any regularity. There's a creek that cuts through the property and we can't get across it unless the water level is normal to low. The property is mostly wooded (mesquite trees) with a couple of openings. We typically see multiple deer every hunt. Not tons of deer, but usually 5-10 depending on the stand. The biggest deer we've ever killed was a 10 point that scored 132. We had a trail camera out last year from September through early January and we had at least 10-12 different bucks on it.

What we do:

- The road around the property follows the fence line & creek line. We do not drive or walk through the interior of the property unless it's right after season is over or we have to for some reason.

- If we have to go out between the morning and evening hunts, we go right after we get back from the morning hunt so the woods have 4-5 hours to calm down before the evening hunt.

- If we need to put corn in the feeders or do any work on the stands, we do it after the Sunday morning hunt before we head home.

- We walk to the stands and do not use four wheelers.

- We try to keep noise to a minimum.

- If we're really serious about hunting, we don't do a campfire.

Now, we have a 500+ acre piece of property that borders us to the south, so I'm sure that helps with making the deer feel protected. However, there's no doubt in my mind that keeping things as quiet and secluded as possible helps a lot in seeing deer on our place.
conroekro88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2017, 10:24 PM   #24
sbushee
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hardeman county

I parachute in for each hunt, lol
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2017, 10:59 PM   #25
Robertt
Six Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County, Tx

Beam me up Scotty.
Robertt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 10:47 PM   #26
SV72
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard

Great question. IMO it is a huge part of being successful. We walk to our blinds in the pasture closest to our camp and we attempt to limit feeding to when you leave on Sundays.

I like to save my best spot for high percentage days during the rut and north wind situations. I don't like ruining a good spot on a day where the chances are against seeing a mature buck.

Love hearing everyone's thoughts on this topic.
SV72 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #27
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

If the deer are already at the feeders in the morning, maybe you are throwing too much corn in the evening?

I only use a light if I HAVE to. Hate using lights in the morning. A couple guys that hunt with me are scared of the dark and shine their lights all over the place. We see about the same numbers of deer.

We usually get to the stands about an hour before the feeders go off in both the mornings and evenings.

We only check cameras at mid-day, or after dark. No need for unnecessary driving around during the "good" hours.

Scrap the golf cart idea and get you a Polaris Ranger EV. You are welcome to swing by our place and try mine out.
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #28
Dudley
Eight Point

Hunt In: Walker & Uvalde counties

I have several stands, but one of them is my "fun stand". I sit there when conditions aren't perfect for my other spots. Maybe its too warm, or the wind is wrong, or too early or late in the season, or cameras aren't showing movement. I only go to my best spots when I think I have a really good chance of killing something. My fun stand is pretty bullet proof with great access and cover that lets me hunt it over and over without alerting deer to my presence. I have a feeder there so usually have some does or small bucks around, but rarely see anything big.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top