184 3/8" Hidalgo County Monster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

184 3/8" Hidalgo County Monster

I just got on a new lease this past summer.....a DREAM LEASE really. Several college buddies and 4000 Acres of south Texas.
    I've been out there, it feels like every other weekend since March setting up stands, filing feeders, and checking trail cameras. We luckily have tons of nice deer, seems like every 4 year old is a 130 class 10 pt. Well it all came together the last hunt of bow season!!!!

I left work early 11/2/12 hurried down south and was in my south archery pasture blind by 3:30pm, as I wanted to be in there early to let things settle down before primetime. Got set, 3 video cameras and all.... I had pictures of 4-5 hit lists bucks a few being management and a couple being trophies. I settled into the hunt had several deer filtering in and out of my set. Finally around 5:30 I had one of the hit list bucks come in, a management 8 Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352601937.097207.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	24934332 Everything was perfect it seemed.... I was "self videoing" so I ended up playing cat and mouse with this buck for over an hour, I actually drew back on him two different times but each time he would walk out of frame or turn his body so I could not get the shot off. As it turns out that was a HUGE blessing!!!

At 6:45 I had a deer I've never seen before come in......he was a monster, one of those deer we call a "no doubter" you don't hesitate, you don't field judge him, you don't do anything except hit record and draw back!!! He must have only stood in my lane for 30 seconds before I release the perfect arrow!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352602637.872299.jpg
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	24934335 he actually ran a small loop into a field in front of my blind where I saw him fall. I text everyone I know " JUST SHOT A BOONER "! There was a flurry of responses from " ya right" to "congrats".... I was in disbelief myself.

After a short blood trail it was confirmed the biggest deer of my life lay dead just 40 yards from my blind. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352602873.396777.jpg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	24934339

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352602914.760919.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	24934340
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352602947.892912.jpg
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	24934341

Funny thing is after all the celebrating and cleaning the deer it was late and I didn't have time to supervise the scoring of the rack....some of my buddies did the scoring while I was wrapping up with the meat. When it was all said and done they told me he scored 164. I didn't really think much of it, as I was happy with him no matter the score. Although in the back of my mind I kept thinking to myself if this guy isn't Boone and Crockett then I'll never get there. Come to find out I had to stop at a taxidermist on the way home to have my deer caped as I was worried the rack would not fit in any freezer I had at home. While I was there I had him officially scored....here is where the surprise was as the taxidermist told me he scored 184 3/8!!!! Apparently the guys at the lease forgot to add in the spread when they were totaling everything.

Everything is on video and will be on the up coming END OF THE ROAD OUTDOORS video that will be coming out this next summer. OzAg will be producing it all if y'all are familiar with his work.

Beautiful

Comment

Congrats awesome buck!

Comment

Wow!!!! Congrats!!

Comment

Awesome deer. I keep adding his frame up in the mid 50s, Would love to see where im off so bad! He has a ton of character though! Congrats!

Comment

That's pretty cool..... Awesome write up

Comment

Awesome buck. Congrats. From that still pic from the shot he looks like he weighs 300 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                Awesome deer. I keep adding his frame up in the mid 50s, Would love to see where im off so bad! He has a ton of character though! Congrats!
                He has 28" main beams, 36.5" of mass, (2) 12" tines, and 19.5" spread
                Frame of reference may be off as he weighted 215lbs

Comment

Great story on a trophy of a lifetime! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on the beast!

Comment

Originally posted by HoytEZahn View Post
                      He has 28" main beams, 36.5" of mass, (2) 12" tines, and 19.5" spread
                      Frame of reference may be off as he weighted 215lbs
                      Well there ya go! I missed every one of those numbers! AWESOME!

My cousin owns Simms ranch near Uvalde. he had a big 9pt that he thought would go 160. A hunter turned him down and said he thought the deer was mid 40s. Another hunter killed him the next day. He went 177! The kicker was he weighed 277 on the hoof!

Looks like the same type of deal here he is so big bodied that my perspective is skewed.

Comment

Congrats again Eric on a monster buck.
                        Great write up
                        I am headed to my ranch in the morning to hopefully add to the EOTR buck total, no worries I will not beat your 184!!!!

Comment

Nice read. Great buck. Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcloud View Post
                            Congrats again Eric on a monster buck.
                            Great write up
                            I am headed to my ranch in the morning to hopefully add to the EOTR buck total, no worries I will not beat your 184!!!!
                            Good luck spook! I'll have my fingers crossed for you....I got a couple good ones at BZ farms if all else fails come to htown.....

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X