Wiring a fuse block into UTV for accessories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring a fuse block into UTV for accessories

Ok so I'm no 12 volt electrical genius but i am wanting an easy way to wire in light bars and pods and possibly other accessories into my new Mule Pro FTX. Instead of running every back to the battery or wiring into existing harness and risking over drawing something, i want to install an extra fuse block. The Kawasaki brand accessory block is $$$ high $$$.

Doing a little research, i think all i will need is a marine grade fuse block, some heavy (4 gauge) wire and a 80 or 100 amp circuit breaker.

Seems straight forward. Battery to circuit breaker to fuse block. Then wire lights to fuse block and then to switch.

Someone who is way more knowledgeable than me let ne know if i am way off base and completely overlooking something. Let me know if I'm gonna have issues with this or anything else.

Thanks

Interested in this also.

Comment

This may help. I tagged it sometime ago just incase I needed to reference in the future.

https://www.kawieriders.com/forum/ka...-question.html

Comment

Why not just put in line fuses on all of the add one you will be utilizing? Then if one device goes out, you check one device fuse, and not have to wade through a jumble of wiring.

Also if you get a rubbed wire or something that shorts to ground, it doesn't take out everything else tied to a common ground.

Comment

What do you need the circuit breaker for?

Comment

Look into what "bowhuntntx" said above. I have done this with my old Landcruiser and it is very simple and straightforward. This cuts out a circuit breaker and helps isolate problems if you have them in the future.

Comment

You are right. I have wired several light bars on pickups and tractors this way. Just thought the fuse box would make it easier to add other accessories in the future. So i may wind up using the supplied light bar harness with inline relay and fuse.

Comment

Compact ATO® / ATC® fuse block consolidates branch circuits and eliminates the tangle of in-line fuses for electronics and other appliances.

I’d start here, all Marine grade stuff and you can keep it as simple or complex as you want. They also make switch panels with integrated fuses/circuit breakers. The circuit wizard is good for determining what gauge wire/size fuse you’ll need based on the amp draw.

Comment

heavy wire to fuse block with in line fuse rated according to wire size used and max amp draw possible form accessories (80 or 100 seems like way too much). Wire from fuse block to switch and then from each switch to its accessory.

Comment

Run your added accessories through fused relays. Fused keyed (12ga min) 12v power to the relay - trigger wire (on/off toggle) -ground wire - power wire to accessories.

Comment

^^

I have used the blocks mentioned above on my Ranger and in two boats that see saltwater without issue. 4 gauge wire IMO is overkill for what most stuff draws. If you plan on amps and speakers maybe 6.

When I did my ranger I ran #10 tinned marine romex wire thru the roll cage and into the speaker box on my roof. The back up lights, radio and some interior lights are all broke off the fuse block

This is pretty much what I used on my boat and ranger. I used 10 gauge for battery charger and 8 for radio. I dont have amps in either
                      Last edited by Quackerbox; 09-27-2018, 07:21 AM.

Comment

I build these for my motorcycles to run accessories. It is my schematic. They are easy to build. I may have one built but I'd have to look. They work well. It is easy to adapt if you want more leads.

This one has short wires because this bike didn't have much space and needed to be close to the battery.

Comment

I recently did this exact thing - on a 2018 Mule Pro FXT. Very simple to do.

There is a corrugated tube that runs from under the front hood back to the battery compartment - for running wires to the battery.

I bought an accessory fuse block from amazon for $23. They have lots of options. Mine is the Waterwich 12-way Fuse Box. Probably way overkill.
                          I don't think you need an 80 or 100amp circuit breaker. The fuse block works as a circuit breaker. Each accessory you wire through it will have a fuse.

I'll have to check the wire size I used - I think 8g or 10g. The 4g wire would be needed if you are going to add a winch to it. If just using led lights, etc - the draw is very small.

I'll get some pics later this weekend.

Feel free to ask any questions, but it was quite easy.

Comment

This is a very good fuse block.

It is easy to wire in, and safe. I've installed a few over the years.

Another source for well made stuff is 12VoltGuy

Comment

Tagging for later

Comment

Working...
                              X