Which Tractor and Implements? Pros/Cons-Do’s/Don’ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydraulic top link for sure.

Putting water in the rear tires also really helps.
    All 3 of mine have water in the tires.

Comment

She digs too...

Dropped the water tank at the ranch about ten inches into the ground to keep it cooler and allow the fawns and turkeys easier access.

Gotta run back out there today and finish installing the float (and pick up the GIANT trailer full of metal crap we dug out of the trash pit)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Steve and I inherited a John Deere 5310 2 wheel drive with a loader. Its 55hp at the PTO. The forks stay on the FEL 90 percent of the time because its almost impossible to dig with the bucket. It does everything I want, besides keep me cool and out of the dust when shredding in the summer. I'd like to add a 90hp 4x4 cab tractor one of these days for pulling the bat wing.

These are the implements that we have:

Bucket
        Forks - I use these the most moving round bales to picking up odds and ends.
        bale spike
        post hole digger
        15' woods batwing shredder
        5' modern 3 point shredder
        5' disc
        box blade

Last edited by Stolle; 08-07-2018, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
          Steve and I inherited a John Deere 5310 2 wheel drive with a loader. Its 55hp at the PTO. The forks stay on the FEL 90 percent of the time because its almost impossible to dig with the bucket. It does everything I want, besides keep me cool and out of the dust when shredding in the summer. I'd like to add a 90hp 4x4 cab tractor one of these days for pulling the bat wing.

Bucket
          bale spike
          post hole digger
          5' disc
          box blade

For digging add a piranha tooth bar. Makes clearing brush and digging easy. Pretty inexpensive like 300 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
            For digging add a piranha tooth bar. Makes clearing brush and digging easy. Pretty inexpensive like 300 bucks.

https://bxpanded.com/piranha-toothbar
            Looks like that would help a ton.

Comment

Looking to get into a tractor myself, thinking about the JD 5075E 4wd with loader anyone have experience with these tractors??

Comment

Originally posted by Mconner View Post
                Looking to get into a tractor myself, thinking about the JD 5075E 4wd with loader anyone have experience with these tractors??
                I have a 5093 that’s been a good rig. Haven’t had any big problems out of it.

OP, there are a ton of good hobby tractors out there that would fit the bill. I’ve heard a lot good things about the kubotas.

Comment

I bought a mahindra 2538 hydrostatic 4x4 last year with loader and 6’ heavy duty shredder and 6 ‘ box blade out the door for right at 23 k last year. 7 year bumper to bumper warranty and the only ones made that don’t take DEF on the market. Absolutely love it. 200 hours in her now and haven’t had an issue. Sticker was 28k. When I showed them a blue tractor for 23 they said they would match that deal to get my buisness. It had the highest lift rating for bucket and 3pt of every tractor in the same hp rating. I believe front loader is around 1400 lbs. I can lift round bales with ease

Comment

Bucket
                    bale spike
                    post hole digger
                    5' disc
                    box blade

15’ batwing is a stretch for a 55hp!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                      15’ batwing is a stretch for a 55hp!

Not for the woods model I bought. It’s low Hp rated batwing. It calls for 40-90HP Wasn’t a concern to me with all the gofer mounds and hog wallers. Can’t shred fast enough to worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      Last edited by Stolle; 08-07-2018, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mconner View Post

Just purchased this tractor with cab. Working great so far. Have used the pallet forks more than anything to mainly move box blinds and tree limbs and stumps around. Runs great. No complaint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not for the woods model I bought. It’s low Hp rated batwing. It calls for 40-90HP Wasn’t a concern to me with all the gofer mounds and hog wallers. Can’t shred fast enough to worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sure, all depends what your cutting, I did light pasture mowing with an 8’ behind a 35hp for a long time

Comment

I have a Case 485 2wd with FEL. IF I have enough counter weight such as a heavy disc on. That little tractor will dig to china, and push big mesquites over, remove brush with the Ratchet rake. Its truly a little beast for a 54 hp. My father has a 26hp Kabota and that is one cool little tractor. Great visibility, the 4wd will eliminate the need for counter weights in most uses. IT will pick up a decent amount of weight and would be in the weight class you need for the trailer you have. Just do mot under estimate a 2wd if come across a good deal. You will need counter weight for pushing/digging where the 4x4 may not need as much. good luck

Comment

I have a Case 485 2wd with FEL. IF I have enough counter weight such as a heavy disc on. That little tractor will dig to china, and push big mesquites over, remove brush with the Ratchet rake. Its truly a little beast for a 54 hp. My father has a 26hp Kabota and that is one cool little tractor. Great visibility, the 4wd will eliminate the need for counter weights in most uses. IT will pick up a decent amount of weight and would be in the weight class you need for the trailer you have. Just do mot under estimate a 2wd if come across a good deal. You will need counter weight for pushing/digging where the 4x4 may not need as much. good luck

Comment

I generally agree with those giving advice to buy the biggest you can afford and a little bigger than what you think you will need. Needs change over time and my experience is that tractors are like money.... you always could use more.

That said, my little Kubota 28 hp 4WD is a go getter. I can maneuver her into and out of some right places. She pulls down the road about like a bass boat behind the F150 and mostly does all I need on our place.

You are spot on with the front end loader. Getting forks for it will be a useful tool.

Comment

Working...
                                X