No announcement yet.

"Official" SHNF 14-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woo hoo!! It's will be her before you know it.

Comment

Thinking this will be the year I toss the compound to the side and start out with the recurve. Really don't even like shooting wheels anymore. Just need to climb a tree in the back yard to see how it's going to work out of my climber, or I'll be hugging up to a tree in some brush and hoping for the best.

Hopefully school and the farm will allow more time to hunt this year than last. If not, I guess I'll have to send an arrow towards a cow and fill the freezer that way

Comment

Going out in the morning to do some scouting.

Comment

Make sure y'all spray plenty of insect repellent. Those chiggers are mean little suckers

Comment

Put 2 cameras out this evening.

Comment

Hope y'all lock those cameras. They have a tendency to walk away.
              Sad

May try to go Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                Sad

May try to go Sunday.
                That is sad. I don't get the whole taking peoples stuff thing. In my few days of Scouting so far, I've come across 7 tree stands 2 tents, and a camera.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                  Sad

May try to go Sunday.
                  Brave souls indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                    Brave souls indeed.
                    I'm a little extra brave because I already lose several cameras to theft each year on my private land places, it would be nothing new to lose some in the forest.

Comment

I would love to put some cams up as well. With the story's I heard I can't afford throw a ways. But I just do not understand how people would take them, I mean we camp all the time and things don't " walk" from them. I seams like the same people would be the ones to come up on them in the woods. I just do not get it.

I need all the help I can get out in the forest and a cam would help. I am so on the fence about this.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
                        I need all the help I can get out in the forest and a cam would help. I am so on the fence about this.
                        Everything I leave in the forest I'm prepared to lose. If I duct taped a $20 bill on a lamppost on a public street I'd expect to lose it too.

Comment

I have held out getting introduced here for too long, so I posted an intro on the main board. My public land excursions got put on hold a bit as my 11 year old has been getting his feet wet in archery with a crossbow on the little family plot of land near Centerville, but I hope to be back in the big woods exploring this year. I love exploring and having the opportunity to move, plus the physical challenge of the 2 mile hikes with a deer on your back! Have put a 147 on the ground 2.5 miles in with a rifle, but have yet to close the deal on a big boy with a bow. Keep finding them and then seeing them in person... always just out of range. Keeps me driven! Unfortunately only a few of my huntin buds bow hunt, and even fewer are willing to make the hikes, so I need to expand the trusted inner circle a bit. I don't like climbing trees and quartering out deer 2 miles deep without help close by. For the rest of the year I slaughter redfish and ducks, and host large events for Blast & Cast. Hope to meet some of you in person this year.

If anyone is interested in the Matagorda trip next weekend, check the thread I posted on the main board and shoot me a pm. Good way to get to know the organization and put some filets in the freezer!

Comment

Is it really worth scouting this early? Would it mainly be for terrain familiarization rather than game movement/habits? Wouldn't the movements change in the Fall?

Comment

Their movements are likely to hold true through the first couple of weeks in October, though they may go in and out of nocturnal feeding based on heat and moon phases.

Comment

First off, I use cameras in the forest, but I lock them up. I built some bases that I can lock to the tree and the camera to that. I've also been known to put my cameras in other oddball places most people wouldn't think to look.

I wish I could make a trip to matagorda, I'm ready for another wade there.

As for scouting, I like scouting now. Finding deer now means they will be in the same area opening day. Plus now is the time to scout new areas you wouldn't step foot into during the season. I like to look for openings, trails, I like to also look for oaks that can drop mast. I'll then figure out a tree stand site for a north and a south wind. I certainly don't want to do that a week or two before the season. I especially don't want to do it during the season, unless I am just moving my entire set due to new movement patterns.
                                Last edited by huntinfool; 06-21-2014, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X