Form Issue/Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form Issue/Question

I've had several high hits in the last 3 years, all from elevated stands. All were fatal with recoveries, but it still bothers me that I'm hitting in the top 1/3 of the chest cavity rather than in the lower 1/2.

I've been told that my problem is that I'm dropping my bow arm rather than bending at the waist--can anyone confirm that is my problem? I've taken a target to my stands and practiced from the seat and my groups are normal, centered on my point of aim, so I know I can do it. Perhaps in the heat of the moment, anticipating the shot, I'm not bending?

Also, if that is the problem, can someone explain the geometry to me--as in why I shoot high if I lower my bow arm but not if I bend at the waist?

You do need to bend at the waist to keep your form right. Also remember deer will drop a lot of times at the shot.

Comment

you are deploying muscles that you should not be using when the shot breaks. could be as simple as having too much hand in the bow and pushing into the shot. regardless, everything starts to break down when the "archer's T" starts to fall apart.

Comment

Originally posted by quackaholic1 View Post
        You do need to bend at the waist to keep your form right. Also remember deer will drop a lot of times at the shot.
        ^^^this

Comment

Understand about the need to bend at the waist--but am just trying to understand what happens when I don't bend that makes the shots go high. Muddyfuzzy may have it--too much hand into the grip-base of the thumb tilting the bow/arrow upwards. I'll get in the stand tomorrow and tinker a bit and see if I can duplicate the high hits.

Comment

Originally posted by quackaholic1 View Post
            Exactly what he said.

Comment

If you do not bend at the waist when shooting downward, your anchor will go up higher than normal, resulting in a high hit every time.

When you lower your arm, your peep moves further from your eye, and subconsciously you elevate your head and extend your neck to see through the peep like you normally do. When this happens, people tend to tuck in their chin at the same time and raise the rear of the arrow and anchor point.

It all happens really fast and a lot of times it all feels the same. But the end result is much different. Bending at the waist is much more difficult when seated IMO because you actually have to lean pretty far to one side of the seat, so much so it feels like you might fall out.

Try standing for the shot if you have the time and space, and see if the shots go down to where you are actually aiming.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                If you do not bend at the waist when shooting downward, your anchor will go up higher than normal, resulting in a high hit every time.

When you lower your arm, your peep moves further from your eye, and subconsciously you elevate your head and extend your neck to see through the peep like you normally do. When this happens, people tend to tuck in their chin at the same time and raise the rear of the arrow and anchor point.

It all happens really fast and a lot of times it all feels the same. But the end result is much different. Bending at the waist is much more difficult when seated IMO because you actually have to lean pretty far to one side of the seat, so much so it feels like you might fall out.

Try standing for the shot if you have the time and space, and see if the shots go down to where you are actually aiming.
                All of this is true. The reason an arrow will go high or low is because the sight picture changes. If the pin is higher in the peep you will shoot higher.
                This is easy to repeat in a test. It is opposite if your pin is low in the peep. This happens often if your draw length is too long.
                If you will focus on your sight picture before initiating the shot sequence you may not get high arrows. This is why bending at the waist to maintain draw length and anchor helps with sight picture and accuracy.

Comment

I've never been a big fan of the "bend at the waist" concept...mostly because too many people misunderstand the idea. I see a lot of people who(standing or seated) draw straight out(level) then bend at the waist... this throws several things out of whack, primarily the anchor and sight picture.

My preferred method is to think of it as drawing on your intended plane(plane of attack).

Watch how Dave Cousins performs this "method"... Cousins is without a doubt one of the best in the world at these types of shots...uphill or down.

To add....when hunting season rolls around, I will literally sight my bow in from the elevations I will be shooting at(cut yardage).... train like you fight.

Comment

All makes sense--movement of the anchor point, peep moving farther from eye. And, as JFISHER posted--I sight in my 15-yd pin from the stand, and 25-yd as well.

Good video too--shows exactly how the pros do it--now I need to work on that as well.

Thx for the insight folks--
                    Last edited by dustoffer; 12-12-2013, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X