Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Removing cam from Z7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing cam from Z7

I want to change out cam on my bow, but have never attempted this task. Can't find anything on YouTube that deals w/ this subject. I know the Z7 & other Mathews have a quick change axel piece, but don't really know how it detaches. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You have to press the bow and pull the strings and cables. The there should be E clips on the axles to remove and slide the axle out. Then reverse the order to put it back together.

I suggest taking a lot of pictures of the strings and cables to make sure you get them back on in the right locations.

Comment

Also cam has to be timed I would take it to a Mathews dealer before doing it your self I had a non Mathews bow shop change out strings and cables on one of bows a few years back needless to say I'll never do that again I picked up my bow and cam was way out of wack had to take it to archery country in Austin to retime my cam good luck and god bless

Comment

Thanks, I have a press and have replaced string & cable before, just wasn't sure about cam removal. Mathews are the easiest bow to tune cause of single cam. The cam has a reference hole in it and the string should be as center of hole as you can get it. This might require a few twists of the string.

Comment

its easy. Press bow, takes string and cable off of cam. There's really no need to completely take them off, just set them aside but making sure to keep the twist in them. The Z7 has a simple quick clip on one side of the axel. Just push the black clip upwards away from the limp pocket and it will pop up from locked position. at that point you will be able to remove the black clip off and slide the axle out. Replace with new cam and follow steps in reverse order. Hope this helps.

Comment

Just as BOWtechnicianTX says, press the bow remove the string and cables from the cam- I use a paperclip through the string loops to stop them untwisting. Push firmly up on the black quick release- most times you'll feel it make two clicks, remove the axle by pulling on the red end, replace with the new cam making sure to get the orientation right (don't but it on backwards!!) - there are no spacer washers on Mathews bows to worry about.
            replace the axle and QR clip- re-attach the strings , and provided that you did not allow them to untwist you should have no problems with timing. You may have to move your peep a little to get it in the right place - good to go!!

Comment

Take pics of the strings around the cam area. It will if you get confused after the cam swamp.

Comment

That's the info I needed about the quick release. Thanks guys.

Comment

The axel is almost self explanatory.
                  Leave the string and cable attached and reattach to the new cam after in place. This way the peep and alignment will stay the same.

Comment

awesome

Comment

Changed my bow from a 30" to a 28" in about 5 minutes. Press it, remove string, remove clip and axle, swap and reassemble. Super easy!

Comment

Thanks

Comment

If you know about replacing strings and cables, you should have no problems with the cam. Clips slides back, pops off. pull axle, replace. Good luck.

Comment

Worked out ok, thanks for all the input

Comment

Originally posted by puppychellam
                              No idea

??

Comment

Working...
                              X