Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is insurance possible on a homemade trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is insurance possible on a homemade trailer?

I have a homemade utility trailer that I have registered and titled with the state. It has all the necessary inspections, numbers, and tags. 24' bumper-pull with dual 7,500 lb axles and registered at 9,999 pounds. Trailer (not farm) plates.

I want to get it insured for theft and/or damages in case of an at-fault accident. I've been with Geico over 20 years and have excellent rates with them, but they won't write it because its registered as homemade.

I have my UTV registered through AllState, but they wont cover it because I don't have my vehicles with them.

Geico said that it's only covered with liability and not against damages in case I was at fault in a collision. I figure replacement cost is around 7K if I was to pay a welding shop to build a duplicate.

Is this possible to insure?

I would say your home theft coverage would handle it, regardless of where it may be stolen.

Comment

Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No one here carries insurance on their utility trailers?

Comment

Guess not.....

Weird....

Comment

Try progressive.
            I have my dump trailer insured with them at full cost new replacement.
            Make up a company name and serial #

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
              No one here carries insurance on their utility trailers?

Following. I have always gone the self insurance route on trailers. Never even thought about getting insurance on one. Now I have jinxed myself and will likely get one stolen

Comment

Well after months of searching I just about gave up.

After over 20 years with Geico I switched to Esurance and got better coverage on our vehicles and literally cut our bill in half. While working out those details I asked about insurance for my homemade trailer and ended up getting a full collision and comprehensive policy with one of their partner companies with replacement value of $7,000.00 and contents of $5,000.00 for $25/month with a $250 deductible. The actually policy is through Progressive. I’m extremely happy with that and now not stressed about theft or with an uninsured motorist. Here’s the agents contact. There is zero benefit for me posting his info, but just thought I’d pass it on if anyone was interested.

Comment

Progressive covered mine. All they ask was what would it cost to replace

Comment

When I called Geico a few years ago they were more than 30% higher than anyone else.

Comment

I would say your home theft coverage would handle it, regardless of where it may be stolen.

Comment

If you're willing to pay, there's someone out there that will insure it.

My son's playhouse is insured for $26,000.

Comment

I have a homemade utility trailer that I have registered and titled with the state. It has all the necessary inspections, numbers, and tags. 24' bumper-pull with dual 7,500 lb axles and registered at 9,999 pounds. Trailer (not farm) plates.

I want to get it insured for theft and/or damages in case of an at-fault accident. I've been with Geico over 20 years and have excellent rates with them, but they won't write it because its registered as homemade.

I have my UTV registered through AllState, but they wont cover it because I don't have my vehicles with them.
                          What does it mean to have it registered through Allstate?

said that it's only covered with liability and not against damages in case I was at fault in a collision. I figure replacement cost is around 7K if I was to pay a welding shop to build a duplicate.

Is this possible to insure?
                          Apparently not with Geico.

Glad you got it insured. Did you research Esurance's claims paying record?

Comment

Should have said “insured”.

The majority of the reviews I read were the same if not better than Geico.

Comment

Working...
                            X