SHNF 17-18 ( the real deal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buck-Chaser View Post
    Never seen wild cherry trees in the forest can you post some pics to know what they look like.
    I think they are called choke cherries. Pigs love them. I have seen them but they fall early. You can usually catch a sweet smell when they are ripe. They will ferment quickly and pigs will find them quick.

Comment

Put in a few miles today and found two very promising funnel areas. Like mentioned above though I had no luck finding a producing oak tree.

Comment

Most likely black cherries

Comment

Is any one here member of the new Facebook group Sam Houston National forest Hunters? If you are who's going to the meet and greet this Saturday at the campsite on on 1375?
          Yes! Hunting fool made one.
          This one is a different one and it has over 350 members lots of new hunters lol. And many seasoned hunters along with lots of local hunters.
          Well, it can't have too many seasoned hunters in group. Brad and I and a couple of other guys we know aren't on it.

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
          It's a closed group so you have to request permission to join. When you're on FB just type in "sam houston national forest hunters" in the search box then click on the link.
          does any body know anything about this page? I do not have face book.

Comment

Next time yall are in the woods, somebody snap a pic of these "Cherry" trees. I would like to see what tree we are talking about here.

Comment

My guess would be wild persimmon when they're small no.

Comment

Not me. I don't have FB either, Bryant.

And me too about the cherry tree. That would be a first for me.

Comment

What is this Facebook thing y'all are talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
                    Next time yall are in the woods, somebody snap a pic of these "Cherry" trees. I would like to see what tree we are talking about here.
                    Next time I go in I'll snap a pic of them, but I don't have enough posts to post a picture yet as far as I know.. Took a couple to the wildlife biologist at the ranger station out of curiosity and he confirmed them to be cherries.

Also, went scouting yesterday and gave Mrs Piiggy a dirt nap.

Comment

I got a feeling what you're referring to as cherries are muscadine grapes. I noticed quite a few of them were already ripe and hitting the ground when I was at my lease this past weekend. It's about 6 weeks early for this but mother natures gonna do what mother natures gonna do.

Comment

They're not cherry trees they are wild grapes growing on vines up in the trees, it's hard to tell its a vine and they seem to be the primary food source right now all the scat I saw was digested grapes, they're in the hills and the bottoms the ones that get ripe are tasty my youngest son really liked the juice.

Comment

there just like grapes, sweet.
                          also found persimmons
                          ground had lots of deer activity
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by pelochas; 08-16-2017, 01:00 PM.

Comment

That's cool Orlando but what I saw were purple grapes and they were growing on vines wrapped up in the trees pretty high up so it was tricky to tell it wasn't the tree that was producing but they were all purple.

Comment

Originally posted by forest-hunter View Post
                              That's cool Orlando but what I saw were purple grapes and they were growing on vines wrapped up in the trees pretty high up so it was tricky to tell it wasn't the tree that was producing but they were all purple.

We saw those too, found them on the ground. They were dark purple, split it open and very much like a grape. Didnt take a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by pelochas View Post
                                We saw those too, found them on the ground. They were dark purple, split it open and very much like a grape. Didnt take a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Those are muscadines. They're delicious but full seeds. Well worth the trouble of having to spit them out though.

Comment

Working...
                                X