Cabela's Frontier Longbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabela's Frontier Longbow

Was looking at the Frontier longbow at Cabela's this weekend. Liked the fit and finish of the bow, didn't get to try the bow out, the girl working the archery desk couldn't find the correct string for the bow and I wasn't about to shoot a bow with the wrong string on it. My question is, has anyone owned or shot this bow? What did you think about it? Looking for a first longbow, something to play around with and also not worry about bumps and dings in the woods at that price point. And before anyone comments about it, I'm wanting to know about this bow, not suggestions to go buy a used bow. Thanks in advance for the opinions on the bow

I have no clue but riddle me this, is it a small enough investment that if it turns out to be a short term keep that you could stand to lose a lot on resale or even not be able to resell? If it's one you'll keep that's no issue. But like the Sage I just sold I got out of it what I paid for it. And it was easy to turn. That's all I would care about with the purchase. If so I would try it.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      I have no clue but riddle me this, is it a small enough investment that if it turns out to be a short term keep that you could stand to lose a lot on resale or even not be able to resell? If it's one you'll keep that's no issue. But like the Sage I just sold I got out of it what I paid for it. And it was easy to turn. That's all I would care about with the purchase. If so I would try it.

Very good point, it's only $189 brand new, so probably easy to recoup most of the money, and something I'll keep around for target shooting even if it's not something I think I'd hunt with anyways. Fun having several choices in which bow to shoot.

Comment

I'd say go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
          I'd say go for it.

I'll tell the wife you said so

Comment

My wife doesn't question my bow or gun purchases. She knows her place. [emoji12]

Comment

That's why I keep a separate account so she don't see.[emoji106] [emoji57]

Comment

Haha, I think every man needs a separate bank account to keep the peace

Comment

Actually she drilled fiscal responsibility into me young. I often don't get things because I by for need not want. But starting with a low cost starter now is good sense as long as it is one you can shoot. Getting one that will be tough to learn on, like to high draw weight or to short so harder to stabilize, could be a discouraging go. I'm In the end if that discouragement causes one to quit then it's money wasted be it $2 or $200.

Comment

That's pretty cheap. I'd say go for it. If you don't like it you ain't out much anyway. Could always turn it into a bowfishin bow. The only thing I'd suggest is make sure the length is comfortable for your draw length.

Comment

Definitely agree, shootability is most important to me. I started with a 30 lb Cabelas Ranger, then moved up to a 40 lb Bear Kodiak Magnum, and shot a 50 lb Bear Grizzly and loved it on Sunday. Wanting to go back when they have someone there who knows the trad bows better and try the longbow in a 50 lb. Have been specifically doing exercises at the gym to increase my draw weight so it was a comfortable jump from 40 to 50. Especially with the longer ntn.

Comment

My draw length is about 29 or 30, so 68" ntn should be very comfortable

Comment

I haven't ever shot that particular bow but I have built and shot straight backed (Hill style) longbows. That bow will be smooth as silk to pull but there will be a little hand shock upon release. Heavy arrows will help tame the shock.
                          I've found straight back bows to be very accurate and forgiving shooting bows but not very fast.....but for that price you can't hardly go wrong!

Comment

If it has a lot of shock don't buy it. That's my two cents. There is way too many good Longbows out there. Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by Selfbowman View Post
                              If it has a lot of shock don't buy it. That's my two cents. There is way too many good Longbows out there. Arvin
                              Completely agree, I was surprised by how much hand shock the Grizzly I shot on Sunday had, definitely made me rethink buying it

Comment

Working...
                              X