Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24 acre ranch build - raw land to paradise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sneaky View Post
    My skills at detecting online sarcasm are as poor as my skills at turning down a beer. I meant a barter! :-)
    Not really bad issues.....I know both well, myself...hehehehehe

Comment

I'The t-posts will be used in my main winter project, which will be erecting a 1500' run of fence to make my ranch fully enclosed. With these t-posts, and a deal lined up for the steel posts (every 5th post, with concrete footings), my BOM is now needing six rolls of barbed wire, two corner braces, and ~4 H-braces.....
      sounds like a good plan, but you dont have to concrete that 5th post in, unless you just want to. The main thing is getting it deep, to help keep the t-post from "falling" over. The T-post are not that deep, so anytime an animal pushes on the fence, it will make the fence want to sway to one side, or the other, if you dont have a good wood post to help hold it up. Seen it so many times.

What I do on my line posts, is either repack with dirt, or crushed concrete if I have it.

Keep up the good work!

This is a really good tutorial on how to build corners, and layout a fence. It's geared towards netwire, but the concept is the same.
      Last edited by Palmetto; 09-11-2013, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
        sounds like a good plan, but you dont have to concrete that 5th post in, unless you just want to. The main thing is getting it deep, to help keep the t-post from "falling" over. The T-post are not that deep, so anytime an animal pushes on the fence, it will make the fence want to sway to one side, or the other, if you dont have a good wood post to help hold it up. Seen it so many times.

What I do on my line posts, is either repack with dirt, or crushed concrete if I have it.

Keep up the good work!

This is a really good tutorial on how to build corners, and layout a fence. It's geared towards netwire, but the concept is the same.
        http://www.staytuff.com/build/
        Thanks for all this info! My soil is very sandy. Do you think i would still be ok if my steel posts were perhaps 2-3 feet down? Also, would you recommend driving them in the same manner at the t-post (with a pile driver), or should I dig holes and fill them in like you said?

Comment

I have only built fence in black/clay type soils. I have no experience with sand.

Your steel post is going to be your 5th post, right? If so, then yes, I put line posts 3' deep. It's best to drive them if you have the means to do so. I prefer a backhoe, but we also have a driver that we use todrive 2" pipe. We call it the "man killer". It takes 2 men to drive one, and it will flat wear you out.

My entrance way is all 4" pipe, and I pushed them in with a backhoe. They are all 4'-5' deep. You dont want to sharpen the ends either. Just square cut, and drive. A sharpened end wont drive straight.

Comment

Well, it's time to introduce myself to my nieghbor to the north. His horses are walking through a small damaged area of fence and grazing all over my pasture. Normally this wouldn't bother me really, except two of these equine cornsnatchers are now in love with my feeder corn!

Other trail camera culprits from the past few days include some "make me into a hat" worthy coons, a turkey vulture (great taco's, I hear!), and a few nice boars. I need to spend another night out there so I can catch them at 9-10:30 when they are arriving on a schedule, and/or put a trap out there and camp there for a weekend.

On the land improvement front, my new gate should be done pretty soon! I will post pics as soon as I receive them. The gate is being made by our very own JACK71, who has amazed me with both his talent and character. Stay tuned!

Comment

cool!

Comment

In!!

Congrats on your place, you are living the dream! Enjoy every minute of it!

Comment

a turkey vulture (great taco's, I hear!)
                  just throwing it out there; Turkey Vultures are federally protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918...

Comment

Congrats. Loving this thread. Tuned in.

Comment

Originally posted by ZackM View Post
                      just throwing it out there; Turkey Vultures are federally protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918...
                      I was totally kidding! hehehe

The thought of eating a vulture....*shudder*

Comment

The feeder circus :-)
                        Attached Files

Comment

So is that your horse? Remind me of fishndadios Donkey.

Are you having other hogs out at that spot yet or just the one? I am digging the thread. It will be cool to watch over time. You never realize how much stuff there is to do until you actually own the land. My wife and I own some land close to Woodville and I have come to the conclusion I will never get everything done unless I live out there 24/7.

Edit: Sorry I just reread your post about the neighbors horses are coming over.
                          Last edited by ckuehl; 09-12-2013, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ckuehl View Post
                            So is that your horse? Remind me of fishndadios Donkey.

Are you having other hogs out at that spot yet or just the one? I am digging the thread. It will be cool to watch over time. You never realize how much stuff there is to do until you actually own the land. My wife and I own some land close to Woodville and I have come to the conclusion I will never get everything done unless I live out there 24/7.

Edit: Sorry I just reread your post about the neighbors horses are coming over.
                            I've got a pack of hogs (around 12-18 or so) that come around, and a few boars that run around solo. Lots of future pulled pork!!

Comment

Horse meat is better for you than cow meat....just say'n

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
                                Horse meat is better for you than cow meat....just say'n
                                If that neighbor doesn't contain his horses, it might be time for a pulled horse taco party at the ranch!

Comment

Working...
                                X