Import and stock $55k sheep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I got an email advertising a $45k cancellation hunt for an Altai Argali sheep in Mongolia. It made me wonder, is it possible to stock/breed that species here and charge a LOT less for the hunt? Just wondering why you don’t see a lot more hunt operators taking non-indigenous high dollar sheep and running hunts for them here. If they can do it with Aoudad why couldn’t they with Marco Polo sheep or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much more would someone be able to make when they can buy a sheep at the sale barn here then sell a hunt on it and make a couple thousand? They don’t have to worry about importing it or anything.

Comment

Good question. Although comparing an altai argali with an auodad is like a Ferrari to a yugo. As a side note, I've yet to see a TX super exotic hunt that was less expensive. For a $10k Texas kudu, you can go to SA and shoot 5-6 animals, including said Kudu, for that price. I imagine an Altai Argali would be $100k here.

Comment

Lot better markup on the sale barn rams.

Comment

Goats a goat..

Comment

I would rather spend the money and get the full experience of Mongolia. If an Argali hunt came to Texas, it would just be riding around in a truck until you see it then shooting, while drinking a beer.

That hunt is on my bucket list, and is being saved for as we speak.

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
              How much more would someone be able to make when they can buy a sheep at the sale barn here then sell a hunt on it and make a couple thousand? They don’t have to worry about importing it or anything.

When I say import I mean as a seed stock breeder, not import each sheep. You could potentially go to the sale barn and buy a Marco Polo sheep if enough of them were bred in captivity.

@Charrison: yes the prices on the super exotics are nuts compared to hunting them in natural habitat. But in the case of sheep, it seems more expensive to hunt them in the habitat of origin versus here. You could take the Marco Polo sheep that cost $55-60k to hunt, instead dart, extract semen, establish a breeding program with huntable stock. Eventually should cost a lot less. I know it’s not the same but our lease started at some point with a small number of Aoudad, now we are overrun with them. Just wondering what would happen if you released these high dollar sheep in the same environment and left them alone. I’m sure there’s some reason why it’s not done, I haven’t seen it and just wondering why.

Last edited by Rcole1310; 07-18-2018, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Doubt it, think of the price difference to shoot a Kudu, Sable, Markor, or a Bongo here vs their native territories.

Comment

Forgive me for not knowing, but why are these hunt SO expensive??? I've heard of the sheep before, but had no idea it cost as much as it does to go hunt them. From what i'm seeing its anywhere between 80-100K. Seems absurd to me, but I probably don't understand all that's going into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickslinger92 View Post
                    Forgive me for not knowing, but why are these hunt SO expensive??? I've heard of the sheep before, but had no idea it cost as much as it does to go hunt them. From what i'm seeing its anywhere between 80-100K. Seems absurd to me, but I probably don't understand all that's going into it.
                    Its simply supply and demand. And those goat hunters with deep pockets get serious about bagging all of the available species.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickslinger92 View Post
                      Low number of tags available and people with disposable income willing to pay for them. I believe that is the case in the USA anyway. Not sure on the foreign versions but probably the same.

Comment

Too many exotics outcompeting native species here now, why bring more?

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                          I would rather spend the money and get the full experience of Mongolia. If an Argali hunt came to Texas, it would just be riding around in a truck until you see it then shooting, while drinking a beer.

That hunt is on my bucket list, and is being saved for as we speak.

No doubt! Seems like that would be an Epic Hunt in Mongolia. That’s the real way to get it done imho. I’m just wondering aloud why someone hasn’t managed to economically scale sheep hunting. Or maybe they have and I’m just not aware. The habitat isn’t an issue as it would be for other high dollar animals like elephant, lion, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                            Too many exotics outcompeting native species here now, why bring more?

For a high fence operation that’s really not an issue. I kinda somewhat agree with you when it comes to low fence. But it IS cool to not have any idea what might show up at a feeder

Comment

I price-checked a Stone Sheep hunt the other night and the one I looked at was $45,000!

Seems like just a few years ago they were in the $25,000 range and I couldn't have done it then! Crazy!

Comment

Working...
                              X